Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: D&D 5e--Good or nah?  (Read 24450 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e--Good or nah?
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2015, 11:22:56 am »

Funny that people forget about it, actually, 3.5e's Knight is pretty much exactly like an MMO tank class, given that they're all about walking about in full plate forcing strong enemies to duel you and weak enemies to run away, gain myriad bonuses against your target, move at full speed in heavy armor, prevent foes from moving past you, and directly absorb damage directed at other party members.
Probably because it's a supplementary-book class that I've literally haven't heard about before that people used very rarely (I've heard about many other supplementary-book classes, but not about this one). I think that's because the concept of MMO tanking proved to be unpopular for TTRPG players.

No, it was because by the standards of 3.5e it was a shit class. All it did was tank, all of its class abilities were oriented around being a tank, &c... and at the end of the day, D&D combat (at least in that edition) was oriented entirely around preventing the enemy from acting by CCing them, surprise-ganking them, or killing them very, very quickly. That's why the traditional tanking roles are filled by classes that tank because they do their big chunks of damage by running up and hitting things really hard and happen to have decent health and/or armor proficiencies.

And, since people apparently missed it, again: the actual term 'tank' is derived from an old MUD that was heavily inspired by D&D, and the concept existed long before MMOs. All MMOs did was make it viable to be a purely defensive tank.

Also, TIL that PHBII is obscure. Which, incidentally, was published in 2006. If you're having trouble remembering, that was back when Everquest was still big, people played Runescape, EVE was fresh, Star Wars Galaxies was still a thing, Guild Wars 1 and WoW were recent news, and D&DO had just launched.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2015, 06:06:47 pm »

More free stuff for 5e out in Unearthed Arcana.

Minotaurs, Mariners and Swashbucklers. Swashbuckling, swimming, climbing, too-long-at-sea (horny) goodness. Swashbucklers look great as a rogue path.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-waterborne-adventures
It's a game. Have fun.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2015, 11:21:25 pm »

horny
Is that the Swashbucklers, the Minotaurs, or the Swashbuckling Minotaurs?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:30 pm »

horny
Is that the Swashbucklers, the Minotaurs, or the Swashbuckling Minotaurs?
Oh god, not the swashbuckling Minotaurs. Whose freakin' idea was that?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2015, 11:59:31 pm »

Someone who is nostalgic for Krynn and the seafaring minotaurs there? :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2015, 12:23:35 am »

Swashbuckling minotaurs are possibly the most hilarious mental image ever.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2015, 12:57:51 am »

Yeah, I know they're from Dragonlance or whatever, but my first encounter with them was in unearthed arcana or stormwrack or the prestige class compendium or something, and my immediate thought was, god damn that is just stupid get back in your maze.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2015, 01:29:25 am »

Yeah. Since they're all in the one trial supplement, the image of a minotaur with a cutlass in his mouth, diving in to save an overboard damsel (or possibly sea-cow) during a storm, then climbing a cliff with her slung over his shoulder is both too awesome, and too stupid, to not imagine.

Sort of like the Princess Bride, an Errol Flynn movie, and a bowl of magic mushrooms all mixed together.

Mmmmm....... Cow Pirates......
It's a game. Have fun.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2015, 08:19:30 am »

I kind of like it, because the whole Minos - Greek archipelago - ships and piracy trail of thought.

Of course, then I remember it is from Dragonlance, which makes me think I am an idiot.
Love, scriver~

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2015, 06:01:28 pm »

Ooh!

Mariner+Wildshape=Hilarity.

Horse-form not climbing walls fast enough for your liking? Bat-shape always a let down in aquatic campaigns? No more.

Be an actual goddamed Drop-bear if you want. Hell, be a Drop-elephant if you think it'll be funnier.

They'll never see it coming.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:18:53 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »

Minotaurs aside, the fighting style is both awesome and a little too good. It is a flat +1 to ac, same as defensive, but you also get a swimming speed and a climbing speed, which is like 2 feats worth of abilities. I am about to start a naval campaign with some friends and I'll probably add it since fighting types can use a bit of cheap power.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2015, 10:46:44 pm »

Just preclude mariner's movement speeds from any form of shape-changing, and it's fine.

I can only assume that's what was intended anyway.

Which is a pity. Because Horse POWER-BOMBS! off walls (or any structure you can climb on) is too awesome to miss out on.

Damn you GW! (or Wizards. Someone. Most of them never really make games with wrestling horsies in them. I have no idea why).
It's a game. Have fun.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2015, 04:39:02 pm »

Oops. wrong thread. ignore
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:40:56 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2015, 09:43:33 pm »

Everything following 3.5 is not D&D.  It is mass-marketed garbage that attempts to replicate WotC's success with Magic in RPG form.  4 and 5 are soulless cash ins with no respect to the original material and a strong bias towards MMORPG children who have no concept of what the term 'Role-playing' even means.

This.

D&D became streamlined down to attract retard dollars. That's basically all it is now. Sell as many books as possible to people less intelligent than me (or you, or whatever).

2nd Edition was good, but didn't have direct skill rules.

3rd is that nice warm place.

4th is an arcade game for retards.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2015, 10:55:04 pm »

Spoiler: To avoid derail (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:39:35 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13