Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Kalpa Reboot: A Gods' Game [Kalpa 1/Turn 5]  (Read 15786 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Kalpa Reboot: A Gods' Game [Kalpa 1/Turn 4]
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2015, 06:54:55 pm »

"Interesting. There are, however, a few flaws. First up, I don't even know if some of the species here are capable of eating, although some certainly are. Second up, this may become the sort of thing mortals hoard... resulting in- warfare, combat, anger, not what you want I believe. And... this reminds me of a concoction called quocaine. In short... well, good luck with that."

The Goddess laughs. "Those that can't eat can absorb the juices... I don't think the minds will be able to, but they shouldn't have to deal with boo-boos anyway, so they shouldn't need it. As for hoarding, fruit can only be preserved for so long, and my sages will see that the trees are spread and cultivated fairly! Nobody should be left wanting."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2015, 06:57:51 pm »

"Hm. Go ahead, though if something goes wrong with the fruits I'll add a recipe to my Tomes of Alchemic Knowledge to act as an antidote, though it shouldn't be necessary, from what I'm seeing in your Fruits."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2015, 08:10:02 pm »

"...actually, that is a clever idea, I've got to commend you.

Vayros, were I to give you one of my acts, would you do as I ask with it? I have something I would like to see happen that very much falls under the domain of Knowledge. Specifically, the original advantage of the caretakers was that they had the technology I had gifted them with when I created them; I feel that if they are to thrive instead of merely survive and hide as they are now, a rejuvenation of that technological knowledge would not go amiss. Specifically, I want to give you an act with which you give the Caretakers and... maybe the Free Folk --not the "Free" Wallowings, but the bipeds-- knowledge of new and advanced technological and cultural advancements so that they can develop more."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2015, 08:14:04 pm »

"That is reasonable to me. As a shared project, I find no problem with us both receiving worship as a result of said books or whatever I would make. You probably already know the standard business of requiring worship in order to unveil the knowledge in my Tomes of Alchemic Knowledge, if I make some Tomes of Engineering and Machinery or whatnot I could do that for both of us. So yes, this coincides with both our goals and I accept your offer, if you are making it."

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2015, 09:22:14 pm »

"Well, let it be so, then! I had figured that engineering and perhaps some theology would be some of the most beneficial things for them to learn."
Give an Act to Vayros.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2015, 11:00:58 pm »

Feel free. Take those who will only come willing with you, however. If none choose to, perhaps I can persuade them. To be honest, the illusion was far too powerful. What I am looking for is a controllable alternative.
Very well. I shall use my arts to bring the willing here.

Raalmana brings the Boogiemen subjects to the laboratory and performs research.

Raalmana also begins studying the divine metals. Can they be altered, imbued with life or magic?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2015, 07:00:40 am »

"Thank you."

Act: Also next turn, use the Act given to me by Meoboroje to create the 12 Tomes of Engineering and Mechanical Knowledge. These 12 Tomes have the standard section on the gods at the beginning. However, once the reader worships Meoboroje and Vayros, more knowledge in the book will unveil itself to them, depending on how much they worship. The 12 Tomes of Engineering and Mechanical Knowledge contain a wide variety of mechanical technologies good for construction as well as some machines good for other purposes, notably a printing press. If copies are made of the Tomes, the copies will also be subject to the same worship=knowledge thing. Note if I can only do one Act/Major Act in a turn, do this instead of making the Warrens.

Action: distribute the newly made Tomes to the 12 most inquisitive Caretakers.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2015, 02:21:45 am »

Action: Monitor Arcanite Spread. How fast is it spreading?

Act: Begin drawing on the eons and eons of heat stored within the purple metals deep within the bowels of the earth. Only draw as fast as the energy builds within.

"This has had sufficient time to charge. The solar input has stabilized."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Kalpa Reboot: A Gods' Game [Kalpa 1/Turn 5]
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2015, 08:46:32 am »

Turn 5: Immortal Realms 

In all worlds throughout the multiverse, there had always been a law known by nature and society: the strong naturally dominated the weak.

The Free Folk had raided the Saplings for a time immemorial, partly due to their heatheness and partly because of their weakness. Though they had spent centuries free from the Tyrants, they had never learnt how to survive on their own. They played their games of 'progress' and 'sovereignty' but never truly learnt what it meant to be adults, capable of controlling their own destinies. As such, many ambitious Free Lords came up with the idea of extending their protection over the Free Wallowings, in return for tribute and lordship. Calling themselves Kings, they presided over their subjects with haughty grace, adorned with the riches of their subject peoples. With the might of the Folk, the beasts of the Wild and the treasures of the Free Wallows, the Free Kingdoms were born.

In many of these kingdoms, the question of faith soon arose: their subjects were heathens with an active hate of the gods. In some realms, forced conversions were made; though a considerable amount were made to profess truthfully to the gods, many had false hearts and their vows were hollow. Other realms were more lenient, allowing their subjects freedom of faith as long as they performed their duties to the Free Folk. Others simply encouraged the spread of the faith with the sermons of the Druids and hoped that the Saplings would open their hearts to the light of the gods. Regardless of what the kingdoms did, the Free Wallowings raged; their ancestors had broken their compact with the gods and now Ferals were pushing them onto them once again, this time with the force of Beast and Spear behind them.

While the Kingdoms grew, many others still clung to their tribal ways. Many mastered the ways of the Control, advancing their art to the greatest of organisms. Some took it to the next level. They combined their natural ability with the Runes of Caretakers. Though they could not use the spells themselves, understanding the Runes somehow let them Control more intelligent creatures. Their fellows amongst them. Such a gift would of course be greatly feared and greatly respected. These Witakers soon became reviled as well as much wanted throughout the World for their skills. One amongst them mastered yet a stronger art: to achieve immortality. By forcing itself into the minds of others, it could live forever. This Shapeshifter would have an effect for generations to come.

The Eight Cities had mixed reactions to the kingdoms that rose amongst them. Those ancient Caretakers, those who had seen the first villages built, laughed bitterly as those rebellious children had become in a way their allies. As such, several Ciities sent aid and recognised the authority of the Kings to rule as they saw fit, acting like old mentors to apprentices that had left long ago. With these new kingdoms, the surface was once again safe for the Eight Cities; the 'Free' Wallowings would not date attack now that their kings had forbade it.

Of course, not all agreed that these realms were legitimate, some decrying their brethren's support for the savage Ferals and their warlike ways. They saw the kingdoms as little better than the heathen Free Wallows that surrounded them, children who should not be allowed to rule. Of course, with weakness of the Eight Cities, these men were always outnumbered in debates.

Regardless of debate, none amongst the Cities could deny that their mastery over Runes had greatened ever since the first arcanite shards were discovered. Schools for the Infused were now common-place, with tomes instructing on the use of Runes filling whole shelves. Procuring shaded arcanite was as always, a difficulty. The Free Wallows had always been hostile to their gathering expeditions and experiments to force the growth of particular arcanite strains had been disastrous; the city of Rathein still had a crater spewing liquid lead as evidence. The Kingdoms, of course, made the process far easier. Particularly difficult strains, such as Rage and Death, were now simply uncommon and now within the grasps of Caretaker Magi.

Deep underground, the temple tunnels of the Saint continued; with the Kingdoms now offering a modicum of safety, Free Folk pilgrims now came to gaze at the Saint's beauties. In some places, Druids would visit, offering their sermons alongside the Caretaker priests. Doctrinal differences aside, some very old Caretakers were moved to tears to see their prodigal children finally grow up.

And yet, as always, the birth of Caretakers was a rare and joyous occasion. As if in forgiveness for the atrocities that had been committed against the Caretakers, a diamond Caretaker was born. Such a birth had never occurred throughout history, with even iridescent composition being rare. To be made fully of diamond was a sign of great omens and things to come. No matter what it would grow up to be, the Caretaker would assuredly command the respect of all Caretakers.

The remaining Free Wallows, those that had resisted the Free Folk for whatever reason,  of course had little goodwill for the kingdoms. But with the situation of the world, most acted pragmatically, recognising that they were now yet another threat in the Arena that must be appeased. Having already avoided defeat to the Free Folk bands, these Free Wallows had become united by shared experiences of survival and determination. No longer villages and mere cities (for the most part), they had become organised States, able to command sovereignty over their territories. Republics and Monarchies, these nations had diverged greatly since the days of slavery. Now only united by their ancestors' plight and beliefs, the Wallowing States were equals to the Eight Cities and Free Kingdoms that were now their surface neighbours.

The worship of Vayros, not tainted by association with the Four, was an ever present if small cult amongst many States; it had been a necessity. Alchemy had become an intangible component of the Free Wallowings way of life, with many diseases eliminated from life by simple potions. Even the insidious mutations and short lifespans that long plagued the Wallowings could now be removed from life.

With their survival achieved, the States dedicated themselves to whatever their rulers and subjects desired. Those along the seas created great ships, to trade and plunder the wonders of the deeps. Those in the hills, dug great mines into the earth, fashioning great works from the Arena's flesh. Others, with war in their xylems, fought their neighbours regardless of their race. Regardless of what they did, the States did so, ever aware of their fragile independence and their Schools of Thought that guided them.

The Minds, as always, continued with their tasks. Through persuasion and intimidation, some Firm Hand followers came into control of small fiefdoms and cities, exercising their rights as Mentors and Teachers. The Light Hand, as always, chose a less direct approach and continued with their trading. Creating tunnel networks, they soon facilitated brisk trade throughout their domains.

Cocea, ever a world unto itself, watched its neighbours with some interest, but always understood themselves to be the centre of the world; it had been them who discovered the path to immortality and avoiding the Child's Tower. With the guidance of immortal ancestors with control of the Runes, Cocean civilisation grew greatly. With their ancestors ever-present, the Coceans had no fear of death knowing very well that they would simply change form in time. Amongst their number, great scholars were born, dedicated to studying the world's mysteries. Many became great historians, traveling the world; they would become educated guests throughout the world.

Amongst every society, the Sages were known. Even the States had overcome their ancestral hate, allowing them with a cautious eye. With a witty tone and a joyful face, the Sages conducted their tasks throughout the Arena. Their brethren in the Hum did very much the same.

With parts other Arena becoming stable, tied in relationships of trade and alliance, the world's namesake slowly gained relevance. Scholars of the histories rediscovered the Arena, petitioning their rulers to formally use it once more. Over the span of decades and centuries, knowledge of the Arena spread and so, its use. With advances in Runic Magic, the Arena could be accessed from anywhere in the world via a sizeable enough coven, avoiding the long travel from more distant regions.

Either because of dispute or boredom, combatants flocked to the Arena, ready to fight for whatever reason they had. To cater to the new fighters, a small town was soon established around the Arena, serving all races.

The Arena's creator, though kept aware of the Arena's developments, had spent his time busy on his Mother's palace. [2+1] Creating sturdy spires, it fashioned them into defensive constructs able to redirect light onto those of 'negative' emotion. Unfortunately, no matter how joyful one is, negative emotion will still be felt. As such, pilgrims who had felt anxiety, fear or sadness on their way to the Palace were soon reduced to kindling. As the terror of the sight was seen, the same emotions spread amongst the others, increasing the death toll. Resident Joy-Minds and Sages soon put an end to the deaths, constantly covering the Palace in a mist of mirth, although this substantially decreased the strength of worship coming from the area.

[4+1-1] Deep below the arena, Raalmana begins research on the Artist's Boogiemen. The illusions though interesting, offer very little practical use. From what Raalmana can surmise, the illusions are produced with a combination of Pif-Ria's essence and the Artist's own skills. The hereditary nature of the curse also proved to be of interest, being fuelled by Pif-Ria's own essence. Small enough that the gods would never notice, but large enough that it was ever-constant. Raalmana hypothesised that a god could remove the illusions...or significant damage to Pif-Ria's worship base and/or form.

[2+1] Through great difficulty, Raalmana is able to state that while the metals cannot harbour life, magic can be imbued into the metal. This process, it seems, to be incredibly difficult and only apply to Kikav; Serage has so far proven unworkable.

And so the Kingdoms embraced Honour, the Cities Magic. Cocea explored and learned, the States did as they wished.

What the mortals did however, would always pale to the grandeur of the gods.

Vayros, patron of the alchemic arts, created a world beyond the Arena, the Warrens. A dimension of never-ending mazes and floors, it contained knowledge of the dead in the form of Memory Crystals, and from Vayos itself. The safety of the labyrinths was not however guaranteed; it would not yield its treasures so easily. Hidden traps and guardians ensured only the best, luckiest and pious would get what they desired. Unfortunately for Vayros, most who were pious enough to even learn about the Warrens were not great warriors. They were master alchemists, often of old age and wrinkled leaf. A great many died. More prepared alchemists were far more successful. With their wealth from being alchemists, they simply hired small armies of mercenaries to brave the terrors of the Warrens. Empowered by potions, locating the Memory Crystals was a simple task, with most casualties coming from traps rather than golems. Within decades, consortiums had formed that attempted to monopolise entry into the Warrens and thus the knowledge found within. As such, these groups soon became extremely powerful, especially with the knowledge of the god Vayros himself.

Away from the Warrens, Vayros created the 12 Tomes of Engineering and Mechanical Knowledge. Similar to his previous set of tomes, these books also required the worship of Meoboroje to function. While most of these tomes made their way into the hands of Eight City Caretakers, Two of these were gifted to Caretakers of the Way. The latter two found little use, as they cared not about worship. The remaining ten however, soon found purpose. With their knowledge, literature and architecture spread throughout. The written word soon became common in the Cities and surrounding areas, especially in Cocea.

Elsewhere on the Arena, Vadoth descended down onto earth, disguising himself as a prophet named Jettark. Spending a youth in Clugize, the bound form of Vadoth soon learnt to feel life like only a mortal could. As her immature form matured, so too was her boldness. [3] Announcing herself as a prophetess of Vadoth, Jettark spent her time at Clugize, even as she reached full maturity. Though considered odd, none had any objections. With purpose, she used her divine power to contribute Clugize's prosperity, which she does well enough. Defending against raids, entertaining guests, helping in the tunnels or arcanite fields; the powers of Vadoth were useful and though never officially recognised, her peculiarity was tolerated by the theocrats.

Pif-Ria, not content to depend only on her followers, soon crafted a new form of non-Wallowing plant that would bear the Fruits of Joy. Being able to soothe stress, disease and injury, it was soon a very favoured alchemic ingredient. Alchemists found the euphoria immediately after its existence was revealed by the Sages, although they had trouble selling it to their Free Wallowing customers; they were unable to experience the 'high' advertised, even though its other effects were still present. In other regions, the plant was soon cultivated with gusto...although it was outright forbidden in some areas due to segments of society breaking down for months at a time.

Kerikavae, having spent eons watching the Kikav absorb heat, finally tapped into its energies. The heat of eons condensed in the brittle divine bones of the god and though a being of flame might have been able to command it without difficulty, Kerikavae could not. His spirit burnt to a crisp. For a moment, the god's influence disappeared from Creation, with the Minds feeling a moment of loss and devastation. That feeling was soon gone, with the connection replaced as if it had never been lost. Kerikavae for his part felt odd, but knew only that he retained within himself some flame.

[5] Without a problem, Kerikavae also analyses the spread of arcanite. While the base form spreads easily enough, especially with the cultivation by the Cities of Gold, shaded variants differ in abundance. Arcanite of Joy is extremely common while others are less so. Especially large growths have a habit of turning into Shaded Minds, which is troublesome for prospective miners.

As if heralding a new age, the Pacifists reveal a new cure to the peoples of the world. They preach of not an end to disease or injury but to the ailment of death itself. They promise immortality to all mortals if they would only shrug off their last connections to the gods, end their worship and become the equal of the divines.

In a matter of years, nearly half of the States become mortal, giving up the worship of their fake gods and Vayros alike. Recruitment amongst other groups is far less, owing to the long lives of the Caretakers, immortality of the Minds and promised afterlife of Pif-Ria followers and Cocea. Immortals however, emerge from the Kingdoms and City commons, all having forsaken the gods in the search for immortality. Suffice to say, the Pacifist Movement has spread.

On the edge of Creation, a great fire burns.

Free Kingdoms established.
Witaking, a combination of Control and Rune Magic, founded.
Wallowing States organised.
Eight Cities become skilled in Rune Magic.
Future worship from Crystal Palace substantially reduced.
Warrens of Memory created. Soon enough, 'conquered' by alchemic consortiums.
Vayros worship established in Wallowing States. +0.5A/turn for Vayros.
Tomes of Engineering and Mechanical Knowledge created.
Pif-Ria worship increased by 0.5.
Kerikavae worship increased by 0.5.
Kerikavae receives 1 Fire-related Act.
Joyberry Bushes created.
Shapeshifter Ascendent born.
Heat from Kikav dissipates into the Void.
Diamond Caretaker Ascendent born.
Pacifists spread Immortality to all followers; half of the Wallowing States shed off all worship; Vayros worship reduced by 1A/turn

Code: [Select]
Kerikavae: 0MA 4A
Meoboroje: 0MA 1A
Pif-Ria: 0MA 2A
Vodoth: 0MA 1.5A
Vayros: 0MA 1A

The Feral Artist: 1mA
Raalmana: 2mA
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:07:29 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2015, 12:21:44 pm »

"Oh dear.."

Kerikavae inspects the inner flame. Pondering for a moment as he watches the fires begin to dissipate.

He forms it in his hand. Staring at it for a time before glancing at the spreading Arcanite.

"Hmm.."

The One of Death descends to the world. Pondering and thinking. Landing in a rather large patch of raw Arcanite.

The crystals shake momentarily before uprooting in unison. Drifting towards the robed figure sitting in the now shardless field, lets out a small hum. It sounds odd, coming from one without a throat of flesh.

The ground around him ignites. flames spreading from him. The crystals drift closer and begin to orbit.

As the crystals orbit, the fires flare up. Beginning to merge in a ring of flame and jewel. Rapidly orbiting the Unliving One. The crystals merge and condense. Becoming eight divine gems, small enough to fit in the palm of a hand.

The jewels begin to draw in the fire.

Time passes. The fire has gone. The crystals burn with an inner flame.

They drift close, before suddenly, in an eyeblink six embed themselves within the Robed one.

Two for the shoulders and one for the skull. One for the chest and two in the knees. He shakes, erupting heat and mana to the ground before him. Instantly melting a short area round him in what is the equivalent to a god retching from pain. He takes the last two gems in his hands, they merge with his palms The work is complete.

The Boney One sits there for a time. Letting himself adapt to the changes before Stepping to the void. He begins to emit a tug. Drawing the lost heat back to him. That which he cannot hold, he places back within the Kikav drawing from it once more, this time funneling it through the fiery jewels.

He Steps back to the world and seeks out several patches of Arcanite. He begins to draw on these as well. Ensuring his drawing never inhibits the spread too much.

Fire Act: Take on the Sphere of Fire.

Act (Using the Arcanite if possible): Take on the Sphere of Magic.

Act: Gather up the dispersed heat and absorb or put it back in the Kikav and begin drawing from it before something Happens! Stuff in the void and unaccounted for is baaaaad.

Act: Begin drawing from the Raw Arcanite. Draw considerably slower than it spreads.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:09:24 pm by Kevak »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2015, 05:11:57 pm »

The immortals can not stand, when it was a few who would carry on knowledge it is one thing, but this is an affront to the cycles of life and usurps the sphere of death.  If no one else intends to act against them I will.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2015, 05:23:16 pm »

"I do not mind should you remove those using artificial immortality, however those that become Minds are just another stage of life."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2015, 05:26:06 pm »

"Immortality? I am fine with some life extension- but this is too much! I would be happy to help you with my knowledge."

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2015, 05:33:41 pm »

You could revoke your gifts of joy so they know only despair.  I could revoke my gift, of the central star.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2015, 05:39:55 pm »

"No need to punish all. Simply remove some. A race of Reapers may work for those who cheat death through unnatural means.."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14