Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Kalpa Reboot: A Gods' Game [Kalpa 1/Turn 5]  (Read 15799 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Kalpa Reboot: A Gods' Game [Kalpa 1/Turn 4]
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2015, 06:57:30 pm »

I have always been a part of the life of this world, now that it has matured I need to join them and live beside them.  This really should have been done long ago, I already spend much of my time down there.

Your concern is touching, but I would hope it extends to my creations as well, you have no rightful claim on the souls of the Starborn.  I would like to place the lantern to hold their souls in your palace if you wish it, a gift and a duty for your Willows.

Vodoth drops out of the tower, up to the boundary between the world and the depths where the Kivak spires touch the green Serage.  Reaching into the two metals he turns them into claws of white hot molten metal, reaching around each other into a sphere.  Crystal fragments of Arcanite dig down through the surface, imbedding themselves into the sphere then growing outwards, solid metal gives way to a delicate lacework around growing crystals in all shapes and colors, natural forms, weapons, beasts, plants, caretakers, starborn.  The metals and crystals cool, delicately strung purple and green ironwork reminiscent of vines and claws with molded crystal windows form a 5 foot sphere with a hollow core.

He brings the sphere up to The Singing Tower and explains it's purpose.

This is Second Sun, a soul lantern, here the souls of the Starborn will be drawn after death, to burn off memory and personality in a waking dream until only a core remains.  Then the soul can reenter a new egg and live a new life, free to learn and grow anew.

I can keep it here, for now, in the charge of your willow-souls if you wish, but I or another will come to claim it in time.

Then he reaches out to all the Starborn in the world, sun, green and even Raalmana, who gradually fall into a dream where Vodoth appears to them.

You will be spared from The Singing Tower of the willowmen in death, held in Second Sun where you will unlearn the world and prepare for a new life.  Eggs will now only hatch when a new soul is ready and the number of Starborn will be limited so that you can be part of the world as you are meant to be, not to dominate it.

[Act]Create the artifact Second Sun, a soul lantern to contain the souls of the Starborn after death.  The souls will be in a half dream meditation where they let go of their life and prepare to be reborn once only a core of ideas and memories remain.  The dreams of the souls are visible to those touching the lantern, who can wake up and talk to any Starborn currently in the lantern.

[Action] Place Second Sun inside the Singing Tower and spend time there, using the lantern, looking through other memories inside the vault.

[Act]Alter the Starborn so their souls enter the lantern after death and that the number of souls will never number more then enough to cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the center star, about several million with 20% or so inside Second Star at any time.  Eggs will no longer hatch if no souls are available.  Explain the new system to the Starborn in a shared dream.

Pif-Ria nods, accepting Vodoth's reasons for leaving, but clearly becomes agitated when the second sun is brought up. Her tone gains a hint of rage and her voice increases in volume. "B-but I have a rightful claim to anything that makes me happy! That is what I am! The tower expanding makes me happy, so I SHOULD HAVE ALL SOULS SO THAT IT MAY GROW AT MAXIMUM SPEED!!! I NEED THEM MORE THAN YOU!

The goddess takes a deep breath and attempts to calm down, and with a swift shake of her head the tantrum ends and her joyful demeanure abruptly returns. "If the tower gets big enough, its power output might go up, up, up, up! Think of all the wonders I can perform, all the happiness I can spread, if that happens! I might even turn control of the font over to Papa Meoboroje if I find someday that the end presents itself in a depressing enough fashion that I feel it must be fought."

Unexplained tears roll down Pif-Ria's face as she grips the dragon's claw tightly, with enough strength to break the skin of her hand. "...I won't fight you on this. The Starborn souls are not worth throwing joy out the window to fight over. Just try to make the mortals happy when you get up there, you big goof! I'll keep an eye on the souls of your babies for ya!"

"This does not appeal to me. However, I see where you are going with this. So, I have a suggestion. Perhaps, you could let the Starborn keep their general knowledge, but not specifics? For instance, they might keep knowledge of the major gods and whatnot, but forget a recipe for humble pie."

Pif-Ria laughs. "I'm the one watching the lantern now, silly! I decide what is to become of the knowledge burned in it, and I wont let it go to waste!"

She then returns to the tower with a wide grin on her face. Inside she begins to work furiously. She stands in front of the newly placed Second Sun, and calls the 33 wisest willowsouls to her side. "Your mother brings joyous tidings. Vodoth has lent us this second sun, which can be used as a source of the collected knowledge of the Starborn! You, wise and joyous ones, have been chosen to make use of this knowledge to better bring joy to the world and expand our mirthful home! You will be changed, granted new incorporeal bodies, so that you may feed off the lantern's light, pass through the divine metal that traps us here, and visit Arena to spread that light in my name!"

As she speaks, the 33 souls begin to form new bodies of seemingly crystalline pink gas, most of which then take forms resembling the Willowmen they were in a past life. Many at once fall prostrate before the second sun and begin to soak in the light of Starborn memories, while others make their way to the Vault of Memories that sits at the center of the tower, which they begin to explore and raid for useful knowledge...

Act: Pif-Ria creates the 33 Sages of Mirth, divine servants made from the souls of Willowmen who were renowned for their wisdom. The Sages of Mirth possess bodies made entirely of Colored Arcanite gas that is associated with intense positive emotions; They can form this gas into any shape they wish (they generally maintain the form of a willowman), and can add or remove runes they know of to their bodies at will. They feed, gaining knowledge and strength, from the Second Sun and the Vault of Memories, and as such possess most of knowledge left behind by dead mortals. The Sages may pass through all forms of divine metal yet created, so that they may travel between Arena and the Singing Tower. They cannot be negatively affected by any mortal magic that has yet to be invented by the gods, and their mostly incorporeal body protects them from mundane harm.

The Sages see it as their chief responsibility to empower their tower and their goddess, mainly by spreading joy across Arena, and they take on different duties to work towards this end. Some remain at the tower at all times to oversee its expansion, guard the Second Sun, and spread joy even greater joy to their goddess, the other willow-souls, and the singing soul bricks. Others skip between mortal societies, advising and serving the leaders of the world. Others still minister to the common masses. Others still are teachers and mentors, spreading useful skills to those who might take joy in them. Some trade secrets with the Mind's, whos knowledge is unlikely to end up at the Singing Tower otherwise. Five of the Sages are reserved to attend to the happiness of specific beings: One each to watch over Raalmana and the Feral Artist, and three who wait to serve and appease Vodoth once he binds himself to the mortal realm, in hopes that he may allow them to possess The Second Sun for a long time. The Sages return often to the tower to feed, for lengths of time equal to mortal generations, and so no one Sage is likely to hold any significant influence in mortal society for long.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:05:42 pm by Weirdsound »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2015, 08:36:42 pm »

((Shaded Arcanite is crystal, not gas.))

"As the majority of emotions and memories have of late gone to waste. I shall fix this."

Kerivavae draws the discarded emotions and memories of the rended souls to his hand, before forming them into a number of Shaded Minds, he then seeds them across the world. He then creates a metaphysical pull for all the Shaded Minds to draw the parts of souls that closely relate to their emotional shade to the seeding Mind or any offshoot Shaded Mind. The souls too fragmented to form a Mind will become memories for the Shaded. The ones more or less intact will form new Shaded Minds. Shaded Arcanite's spread should increase substantially around Shaded Minds due to the saturation of mana in the area. Kerikavae then tweaks the Shaded Arcanite formation parameters, the first thinking undead will rise.

Act: Kerikavae gathers all the discarded emotions and memories and forms them into Shaded Minds, Shaded Minds are described in the Arcanite creation act. All Shaded Minds now provide a pull for discarded souls and said discarded souls will be reborn as Minds, normally shaded to some level. Shaded Minds saturate the surrounding area with high levels of mana. The formation of Shaded Arcantite is tweaked slightly. Shaded Arcanite will form Shaded Minds should there be extreme emotions nearby. Areas with high mana saturations can form Shaded Minds within newly dead corpses, said Minds can control their former bodies still, or they can encase them in their crystal and root like a normal mind. Shaded Minds formed in this manner will know instinctively why they have not died. Followers of Kerikavae are considerably more likely to form into Minds at death, sometimes before the Tower draws them for processing. Followers do not require extreme emotional states, nor high concentrations of mana in the area to become Shaded Minds. Shaded Minds are also instinctively aware of this fact and some may deem this worthy of sharing.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2015, 09:22:41 pm »

Pif-Ria sees the dead one enter her tower to make for the vault, and appears before him. "Woah there silly ol' uncle eternity! I know I kinda sorta maybe said that you could use those a little bit, but I just found use for them myself. My new Sages of Mirth are gonna sort though em, take the useful knowledge, and use it to make Arena a more happy place! I'm going to have to ask you to leave the vault alone... At least until my sages get nice and extablished and skilled!"

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2015, 09:34:16 pm »

"It will due the sages well to practice socializing with those who have patience for excessive mirth before interacting with mortals. As they are composed of Arcanite, they can interact with the Shaded Minds, whom are also composed of Shaded Arcanite and copy the memories. Rather than one sage having one memory or skill, they all can have the same memory or skill. Less waste. More logic."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:45 pm »

Pif-Ria offers a giggle that seems to quickly break down into a sob. "The sages were picked for their wisdom, and they used to be mortals silly! They shouldn't need practice dealing with them. Alright, fine, its not about my Sages, its about you. I'm already losing souls to Vodoth... If you all must curtail my fun to be happy, could you at least spread the pain a bit? You told me I can't make everybody happy, but the more I can build this tower, the closer to that I might be able to get!"

She sobs for a bit before stepping aside to allow Kerikavae access to the safe. "F-fine. There is nothing more sad than a god of undeath without undead. I won't deny you what you want."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:33 pm »

"Think of it this way, if those that die live again, when they die the second time, they will have experienced more joy for your tower to use."

The Dead One hunches down to Pif's metaphysical hight level so he isn't towering over her all skeletonlike.

"As for the Sages, wisdom does not necessarily mean socialite. Many of the mortal hermits are wise, yet many of those same hermits haven't the faintest idea how to deal with people. Which is why they're hermits and not pillars of community. Same goes for the Minds. They know a lot, and have a considerable amount of patience, but they don't really have much experience with the shorter lived mortals beyond fending them off in eons past. They need some experience with happy people as well. The Sages would be good for them to talk to and they would be good for the Sages. Not everything sees things the same way, and although the Sages have spent time as mortals before, they have spent eons as angels. Best for them to get a little practice doncha think?"

"Speaking of practicing things. Would you like a hug? You're upset and I don't believe I have practiced hugging for aeons."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2015, 02:48:01 am »

Pif-Ria snaps out of her sobbing almost at once, and a smirk spreads across her lips. "You are out of practice alright! You can't give a proper hug while scrunched down to my size! Stand up straight!"

Without waiting for a response, the goddess backs off to get a running start, and launches herself at Kerivavae. Her arms end up wrapped around the eternal one's upper spine, where his neck would be, and her legs gleefully flail about in the air as she holds on. "Heh! Hugs are awesome! This is the first time since I frolicked with the first Wallowings that I have hugged anything other than the Willowsouls! I know! I should go and hug some of your children. It will be only fair! You have a monotheistic cult amoung my creations, so there should be minds that worship me!"

Showing what is surprising patience by her standards, Pif-Ria waits for Uncle Eternity to embrace her, and gives him a friendly peck on the cheekbone before squirming free and bolting from the tower. She then climbs into the caverns where the minds live, and spends an age seeking out the Shaded Minds assoiated with the emotions of joy and mirth. She wraps each in her divine embrace for months at a time. She sings to the joyful minds, and teaches them to hum back in prayer by resonating their crystals. They are taught to properly feel the joy they are infused with, and the importance of sharing this joy with others. The Goddess then reaches through the minds she has altered, and places Soul Bricks at each of their cores, linking them forever to the Singing Tower, and to each other. Lastly, she selects the largest and strongest of her new children, and moves it and all of its nodes to the vicinity of the Feral Artist's arena, which it is given orders to watch over.

Act: Pif-Ria modifies and organizes the Shaded Minds associated with the emotion of joy into the Cult of the Unending Hum. The Cult Respects all gods, but its songs of worship are reserved solely for Pif-Ria. The Cult shares a metaphysical connection among itself and the Singing Tower, meaning they are more organized than a collection of distant minds have any right to be, and that whoever holds the Singing Tower likely gets a bonus to attempting to contact it without an act.

The Cult of the Unending Hum holds the following key beliefs:
1: Pif-Ria seeks to spread joy throughout Arena, and it is of utmost importance to help her by humming hymns of joy and by sending her joyful souls to join her choir. She is not the only god, merely the god whom it is most logical and enjoyable to worship.
2: Missionaries units should be sent to aid the miserable by offering them infusions of Joyous Arcanite, so that they may either gain the power to fix their own problems, or die in a state of holy ecstasy. Mortals should never be threatened or forced into accepting these infusions.
3: Kerivavae is the creator and friend of all minds, minds do his work merely by existing and remembering - he need not be worhsiped.
4: Meoboroje is the protector of all, and his warnings and threats should always be heeded unless they oppose direct orders from Pif-Ria.
5: Vodoth should be respected, as he one day seeks to join the mortal world himself.
6: Vayros and Raalmana are both beings of great knowledge, who should be respected, and even aided if they are applying their knowledge to make others happy.
7: The Feral Artist is Pif-Ria's only child. Both he and His works of art should be protected and promoted. The highest honor a mind in Pif-Ria's service can recieve is to be asked to aid in one of the artists' projects by providing Labor, Advice, and or Pieces of oneself as raw materials.
8: The 33 Sages of Mirth are brothers of the Cult of the Unending Hum, as they possess a common body of Arcanite, love of Pif-Ria, and connection to the Singing Tower. Openly associating with the sages is, however, discouraged. This way, those who come to hate or fear one group of Pif-Ria's servants may still accept guidance from the other.

---

Before returning to her tower, Pif-Ria makes one more stop in the mortal world, and appears in material form before the Feral Artist. Before his eyes, she allows her form to shift; Her body grows into early adolescence, and Arcanite Crystal jewelry joins the flowers and cookies adorning her outfit. She then wraps her arms around the strange crystalline being and smiles wide. "As the world changes my child, so must we. Because I love none more than you, you are the first to see and touch my new appearance. Not even the other gods have had that honor yet."

The Goddess falls silent, sending thoughts of maternal love and joy too dense to be expressed in words directly to the artist's mind, and squeezing him tight. She remains like this for a full day, allowing the artist to soak in her joy, before at last shattering the moment by speaking again. "Your mother is about to be firm with you, but it is only out of love. You should have time to attempt four great works of art or adventures per age, before factoring in any divine power you might have stored up! Why don't you work to your full potential? You will be more happy if you do more! Fear not failure, as you are strong enough to rebound! I expect you to take as many actions as you can, got it?"

Pif-Ria pinches her son's nose, and her tone becomes playful once more. "If you need some ideas, silly, I can give you some. The God Vodoth plans on taking up physical residence in Arena soon, and as such could use a dwelling place. Remember to honor his love of organic life and all things wild and unpredictable if you create something for him. I also wouldn't mind a temple for myself... If you build it one, design it as you wish; If it makes you happy, I'll find it beautiful. Just include a chapel and some living quarters okay? I suspect that in a few ages I might take a husband to further my joy and ambitions. If that happens, I'd like proper place to have the ceremony and house any siblings you might get that end up raised amoung mortals."

The Goddess gives the artist a kiss on the forehead, and offers one last bit of advice. "Oh yeah! I almost forgot! I went out taught some minds, the ones made from happy Arcanite, to worship me. They now will seek to protect, advertise, and contribute to your art! They will even give ya chunks of themselves if you want to work with Arcanite as a medium for your crafts! I put one of our new followers near the arena you built, so you can wander without worrying about anybody hurting it or the Boogeymen!"

She then at last calms down allows the Artist to respond.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:21:13 am by Weirdsound »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2015, 03:52:08 am »

Of all possible outcomes, to unlearn is the most abhorrent of all to me. More than ever I avow to never suffer myself to die. But most intriguing...

Death is not something to take lightly, I am glad you understand this.  The lantern offers a new chance, not immortality.  Though I am honestly not sure what it would do to one such as you.

As an aside, you have been trying to create new life I have heard, have you tried more traditional methods, with your own kind?  If you know what I mean.

"This does not appeal to me. However, I see where you are going with this. So, I have a suggestion. Perhaps, you could let the Starborn keep their general knowledge, but not specifics? For instance, they might keep knowledge of the major gods and whatnot, but forget a recipe for humble pie."

New life, new ideas can not come about without the destruction of the old.  It is up to individuals to determine what to take with them, what is their core self.  What is burned is displayed, it seems the joyful one has already taken care of that.

Besides I hear there are things called words or books or something boring like that they can use to transfer knowledge.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2015, 03:58:50 am »

As an aside, you have been trying to create new life I have heard, have you tried more traditional methods, with your own kind?  If you know what I mean.

Would such life truly be new? Be my own? Or would it merely be a propagation of the patterns laid out by you and the others? Besides, I suspect I was born sterile, infertile, in exchange for my talents...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2015, 04:03:48 am »

Would such life truly be new? Be my own? Or would it merely be a propagation of the patterns laid out by you and the others? Besides, I suspect I was born sterile, infertile, in exchange for my talents...
"Doesn't hurt to try. Give it a shot."

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2015, 04:08:39 am »

Vodoth's form shimmers and shrugs, flowing out into rock and clouds.

Life is what you make of it.

[Action (replacing old action since things are being done with the memories and lantern)] Find the smallest of the 8 cities and learn more about it and the area nearby.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2015, 09:28:41 pm »

Such resplendant joy! An entire day of happiness that the Artist could indulge in. A shame it had to end, but everything ends anyway. Hearing what its mother said, it began work immediately, full of vigor to make the most beautiful palace for its mother.

Using crystals mined from itself, it began work on the palace. He asks help from his mothers cult to aid in construction. The palace will be built with crystals that shine in the sunlight, glittering with myriad colors. Some of the cult is asked to volunteer as a choir to praise and worship Pif-Ria in the chapel. They are free to live in the palace if Pif-Ria allows them. Surrounding the Palace are numerous playgrounds with toys and instruments for children (and Pif-Ria) to play in.

Your joy is my joy, mother.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2015, 07:37:11 am »

Turn 4: The Joy of Death

And for a many a century, the gods watched as the mortals advanced onwards.

Many of the Feral Wallows had become something greater than tribal villages or nomadic bands. Through many generations of natural selection, a large number of Feral Wallowings had become more adjusted to their environment. Rather than walking on four feet, these creatures lurched forward on two. They became taller, slimmer and far more flexible than their enslaved kin. Those who led their peers even grew small antlers, as if a recognition of their authority. These Ferals had become something greater: the Free Folk.

They were a people at odds with themselves. They were down to earth and yet saw the Free Wallows, the "Saplings", as little more than runaway pets who had forsaken the gods over a little fit. They were wise from the songs and eddas of the ancestors, but were quick to fight over the smallest slight. They were free and supposedly equal, but gave distinction to the strong. And yet, for all these contradictions, the Free Folk were in many ways, masters of the Wilds.

The cultivation of the Control, Mo'tep's Wit, had given the Free Folk mastery over the creatures lurking in the forests and swamps they called home. Even the trees themselves, plants without thought, gave way to the stride of a Freeman. Even in the arts of War and Song, the Free Folk excelled, singing their battle rhythms as they clashed in the thick undergrowth which they called home.

In time, singing-priests became part of the Free Folk way. Called Druids, they soon became a cornerstone of any tribe, caring for the Controlled beasts, tending the Sacred Groves and retelling the Songs of the Ancestors to all who gathered around the fire.

And as would be expected from any martial culture, battle and glory was always on the mind of any self-respecting Freeman. Skirmishes and battles took place between the tribes, some even ending in the Arena, if the participants wanted a truly glorious end. These battles rarely saw great bloodshed or death; even the raids on Sapling villages saw little carnage. Most raiding stopped once automatons arrived and wielders of Unsiege came around. Most Glory was instead found in the Wild Hunt. An event held annually, it was a time for great warriors to mount atop their beasts and wreak havoc on the Saplings, taking what they wished. Acting quickly, the automatons and engineers would find little time to react before the mounted warriors were gone once more.

The Free Wallows, for their part, carried on with their lives. Although they had always been watched by the Caretakers, many had ruled in their name and knew how to oversee their return to prosperity. The first generations were chaotic; anarchy had seen many innocents dying due to mismanagement, battle or malice. And yet, they recovered. Councils and kings sprung up, to lead the Wallowings in this age without gods. The spells of Unsiege saw the homes and walls of many cities repaired, and even the great palaces were once again glimmering with marble.

And yet there was still the other problems. Many of the cities were simply not salvageable. The foul magics of the Tyrants had been the death of hundreds of thousands; those burnt cities were inhabited by little more than ghosts, their few residents wandering the empty streets. Those cities had quickly fallen to invaders, disease, mismanagement or were simply abandoned.

More alarming however was the fate of all souls; to be the playthings of the gods, to be tormented for all eternity. The Melancholy was a great burden for many Wallowings and always gave encouragement for all manner of indecencies to be committed. As the years passed, philosophers and sages of all backgrounds emerged, each with answers to Life and Death. Each developed their own followings, their own systems and own beliefs. Some believed in spirits who naturally existed. Others created their own gods to replace those they had abandoned. A few however looked for comfort from within; they emulated the Way and chose to believe in themselves rather in the supernatural. Regardless of their new beliefs, all were united in a rejection of the Old Gods and a belief in an achievable afterlife that lacked the tortures of the Singing Tower. These Schools of Natural Thought would come to influence the Free Wallows for centuries to come.

And so, the Free Wallows marched ever onward, trying hard to live a life without the gods or their foul ideas.

The Eight Cities, cutoff from much of their trade and each other, hunkered down. More and more walls were built, with armies ever ready to fight the Heathen scum. Mages flanked by their retinues of Fruitbearers watched over the arcanite fields, harvesting their energy as needed. To many outsiders, the Eight Cities became places of myth; cities that seemed to be part of another age defended by armies of automatons and experts of Unsiege. Stone men still walked its streets, with Wallowings bowing in respect while Willowmen sung of the Tower and its Joys.

The Eight Cities, for all the legends and myths about them, were all too aware of their circumstances. As such, the Cities developed great tunnels below the Earth; a way to communicate with the outside world without encountering the Heathens that surrounded them. Through Runic spells, the Caretakers augmented their charges; Wallowings who could survive the Darkness were created and sent forward. In time, links with the Minds were made, even several Free Folk tribes. In some deep and cold caverns, a purple metal was discovered. In yet deeper places, a warm metal too was found. Though the true purposes of these minerals yet eluded the Cities, one day they hoped to understand them.

[3] In time, the Caretakers heard the words of the Saint and Protector Meoboroje. He asked for worship, for power so that he could continue his duty. The Eight Cities, as grand as they were, were crowded and every space was a luxury. Not wanting to disappoint a god, the Caretakers took to mining out large if drab temple complexes deep underground. Some cities even built around Minds, hoping they'd worship in the way of mortals. As though amused by their antics, a few Minds did so, though even fewer showed any real devotion.

Without worshipers however, these temples would offer little to the god save what worship was made during the creation of these temples. This soon proved to be a non-problem as the Caretakers never stopped building their temples; whole tunnels would be dug and then carved into temples. The Caretakers had turned architecture into worship.

The Minds, united by Duty, continued their tasks with diligence. Their Father's words still rung true; Guide and Remember. For an immortal race such as the Minds, innovation came slowly. With the dawn of the new era however, some had thought about making a change, a change the 'senior' Minds would have concerns for.

The elders had spent eternity watching the mortals war and fight, only caring for their Duty. Even when their Father had given them the duty of Guidance, they had did little more than trade and advise. Only Mind Cocea had made any attempt to help the mortals in a direct matter and the results had been beneficial to all; a whole civilisation learnt in the wisdom of the Minds and all in singular worship of the Father. The Firm Hand could not see why the elders were hesitant to adopt Cocea's ways; was it not their duty to Guide? Their Light Hand did nothing; only the Firm Hand could make a difference.

In time, this friction resulted in debate, then argument, then war. Whereas the battles on the surface were for all to see, those battles that happened in the darkness below ground had no spectator, no one to Remember besides the Minds themselves. And so without the knowledge of the mortal races, the Minds fought battles of attrition, each vying to institute their own philosophy. In some areas, the old guard remained dominant, retaining their duty to Remember and Teach, but always with a Light Hand. In areas where the youths had taken victory, they chose to carry out their duties with the Firm Hand. In most cases however, such battles were short-lived, with the arrival of the automatons ending all hostilities.

What had happened in Mind society was a natural evolution of thought; the birth of the Shaded Minds was not. While many Minds had known of arcanite and its effects, none had yet been touched by Infusal. As such, when the Father directly created a new generation of Shaded Minds, all were greatly confused. The newborn were not like other minds; they had the stench of mortality and their very composition was mortal emotion. Their locations on the surface also made communications difficult, with most correspondence done through the messengers and crystalline spire. In time however, the Shaded were recognised as yet more of the Father's creations and while they differed in thought and in form, they were Minds all the same.

Most of these Shaded Minds drifted towards the Firm Hand, due to their mortal nature. Some, those more aloof, chose the Light Hand. Regardless of their philosophies, these Shaded Minds soon became a common part of the landscape, in many cases disrupting the lives of those already living there. A lover's retreat may be the new site for a Mind of Love's base. A graveyard might become a Mind of Despair's favoured territory. In most disputes, the power these living arcanite shards had was a decent trade for giving up some lands. These Shaded Minds soon became prime trade nodes; arcanite was by now well understood and a favoured trade good for all who could wield the power of the Runes.

Cocea especially became the home of many Shaded Minds. These monotheist had come to discover that in many cases, their souls did not leave the mortal plane but became immortal entities just a step below Kerikavae himself. If the Coceans had been pious before, now they were a people who's whole lives were devoted to their god and true immortality. The Minds of Cocea, the honoured ancestors who had achieved grace, would in time form the ruling class of their nation.

Vodoth did as he planned; a Second Sun to hold the souls of the Starborn and a Plan by which they would be reincarnated. He hoped it would not cause too many problems. As he waited for his plans to come to fruition, he gazed at the world and yearned for knowledge [6] Vodoth, it seemed, learnt quite a bit. He stared at the Eight Cities of Gold and observed.

While in truth there were at least 50 Guided settlements throughout the world, the Eight were those in popular memory and the Guided preferred to keep the exact locations of their homes secret. The smallest of the Eight was the Cloud City, Clugize. A city built on the slopes and peaks of the Drasperres mountain range, to even call it a city is a misnomer. Its population is scattered throughout the range, each connected by roads and tunnels. In the Golden Era, it ha been a quiet monastery for a Caretaker prophet and his followers; the waves of refugees that came from the lowlands had resulted in its growth throughout the surrounding mountains. It is ruled by a council of Caretaker priests, each in charge of a canton within the city. Clugize has few connections to the outside world, save for the regular Feral traders and visiting Starborn flocks. Starborn flocks can at times make up 15% of Clugize's population and a large segment of the city's economy relies on Starborn visitors. Businesses have opened with the sole function of caring for Starborn juveniles or feeding Starborn visitors with a myriad of snow-based dishes.

The Drasperres, Vodoth discovered, was a favoured resting spot for the Starborn, who would rest in its snow-laded peaks for periods of time; their patronage of Clugize had only made their times there more enjoyable. Beyond this, Vodoth found little of interest. The whole mountain range was controlled by Minds with a few Feral tribes inhabiting the mountains. Vodoth did however discover a species of mobile tree that while non-sapient, had the ability to mimic Wallowing songs.

Suffice to say, Vodoth now has an intricate knowledge on the workings of Clugize and the Drasperres.

The Starborn, despite the many years of learning, had retained their Flocks, albeit with some cultural evolution. In many flocks, hierarchies had evolved. Whether by age, skill or raw power, the Starborn found that being better was equal to being leader. When they learnt of Vodoth's new plan, they offered no shock or outcry, only acceptance.

It was only the Pacifists who raised a dissenting voice; why should they who had given up the gods be limited by their plans? Though tolerated for their status as healers, those who spoke their opinions were jeered and insulted for their blasphemy. The implications of the Pacifists' disagreement with the Vodoth's system of reincarnation did not seem to have any observable effect on Starborn society for some time until one day they noticed that the oldest of the Green Starborn had not died or aged; they were still in their youth even if their clutch-mates withered and died. The Followers of the Way, it seemed, had used the knowledge of Vodoth to circumvent the fate Vodoth had imposed on them all. Suffice to say, some Starborn were intensely jealous, although most had the tact never to say this outright.

As the world moved on, Vayros and Pif-Ria did their part to ensure to strengthen their influence.

Pif-Ria, ever industrious, gathered 33 of her wisest servants, transforming them into the Sages of Mirth. These mysterious figures who could disappear for whole lifetimes, soon became important if unreliable members of the world. While hated on principle by the Free Wallows, none could say that the Sages were not of use. They were far too useful to simply be discarded and far too devoted to be simply ignored. As such, they soon wormed their way into many courts and at times, taverns. Storytellers and chroniclers would spend days recording their tales or mention how they had affected one event or another.

The Joy the Sages brought was soon reflected in the slight increase in the Tower's growth rate. While not enough to make a major difference, the Sages hoped that with enough encouragement, the Mother would soon enough be empowered yet further.

To further drive Joy into the hearts of Mortals, Pif-Ria changed the those Shaded Minds that had embodied Joy. They would become the first of Pif-Ria's Mind followers and the first adherents of a Mind religion. Called the Cult of the Unending Hum, they had an unusually strong link to the Singing Tower and as such, the Child-Goddess herself.

Empowered by her sages, Joyous Minds and the many generations of mortal souls, Pif-Ria soon held the power of the Afterlife in her very being; she was not just Joy but Death incarnate.

While Pif-Ria took up a new Sphere, Vayros was just beginning to ensure people knew of his Own. Creating 12 Books of Alchemic Knowledge, he ensured that only those who worshiped him would be given the inner secrets the Books possessed. With nary a thought, he scattered the Tomes throughout the world giving them to the most curious of the Wallowings. Those who had been blessed soon figured out the wonders of Alchemy of how it could cure and curse by combining ingredients. While some of these were seemingly mundane, others were seemingly impossible. As such, those who read the Books soon knew without a doubt that Vayros was a god. Each disciple of Vayros soon gathered a following of students, all wanting to learn the Alchemic arts. Within a span of decades, Vayros was soon known as a living breathing god and one not associated with the Singing Tower or Creation. This fact resulted in the popularity of his cult amongst the Free Wallows, making him one of the few deities worshiped that had any real power.

Tired of the mortal world, Raalmana journeyed deep below, hoping to find a place of solace without the anarchy of the sun and those who lived under it. [2] His hopes were quickly dashed. He found great tunnels and caverns inhabited by the Minds and the Guided Wallows. Temples, Nodes, Outposts and Mines littered the shallow parts of the earth. Even as he journied deeper, he found yet more denizens of the Dark; descendents of the first Wallowings who had adapted to a life without light. Plants that fed on elements or magic. Creatures that ate Minds and Memories. Simple-minded degenerate Wallowings who had lost all senses of civilisation. The dark was not at all peaceful. [4] Regardless, there were places of quiet in the darkness. Places the Minds revealed to him. Some of these immortal creatures, aided the Crystal Starborn with his plans, to build a laboratory to advance the knowledge of all races. Some asked to be Infused, which Raalmana easily gave. Some asked for news, which he offered without trouble. Some asked for aid in a task; Raalmana handled them with ease. Eventually, with the help of the Minds, a cavern was fortified and furnished with all the Ascendant needed to perform his experiments.

While Raalmana descended deeper underground, The Artist remained on the surface to help those he had hurt and further the plans of his mother. Ashamed of what had happened to the Boogiemen, the Artist invited their progeny to forever inhabit the Arena, free from persecution. Most accepted and those who visited the Arena now saw within it a vast collection of monstrous denizen. Most attributed it to the Artist's sense of art, not questioning their presence.

His mistake mended, the Artist decided to dedicate a grand palace to his mother. [6] He succeeded perfectly. To describe Pif-Ria's physical palace would be impossible for its beauty is far too much for mortal words. Suffice to say, the Palace soon becomes a place for pilgrimage for Pif-Ria's earthly followers. Sages and Cultists alike sing praise to the Mother while supplicants ask for advice or engage in merrimaking. This said, Free Wallows from the surrounding settlements are of course, outraged at its construction and were an army of automatons not surrounding the palace at all times, there would surely be bloodshed.

Pif-Ria gains the Sphere of Death.
Most Feral Wallows evolve into Free Folk. Skilled in Control Magic.
Free Wallowings resettle cities. Adopt varied beliefs called the Schools of Natural Thought.
Eight Cities of Gold develop tunnel networks. Create giant temples underground to Meoboroje. +0.5 Worship to Meoboroje.
The Minds split into Firm Hand and Light Hand philosophies. Conflicts range from minor arguments to wars.
Coceans now belief in an afterlife as Minds for the pious and the Singing tower for those less dedicated.
Second Sun created. Starborn population limited to current souls available.
Pacifist Starborn achieve workable immortality.
Raalmana gains Isolated Researcher trait.
Vayros gains Free Wallow worship.
Alchemy becomes known to the World.
The Crystal Palace is built.
Feral Artist gains Divine Architect trait.

Code: [Select]
Kerikavae: 0MA 2.5A
Meoboroje: 0MA 1.5A
Pif-Ria: 0MA 1.5A
Vodoth: 0MA 2A
Vayros: 1MA 1A

The Feral Artist: 0.5mA
Raalmana: 1.5mA
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:01:00 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2015, 08:40:47 am »

Perfection!

The Palace was more than the Artist could have ever hoped for. It only hoped its Mother approved. It feared the Free Wallows would tear down all that it strove to create, all for petty and trivial issues. The automatons guarding its Mother's Palace wouldn't be enough in the long run.

Not wanting to draft anyone to fight for its cause, the Artist constructs crystal spires surrounding the Palace, directing light into condensed beams that sear enemies. It targets negative emotion, so Pif-Ria and her followers would be safe.

That would protect the Palace for now, but the Artist needed to pacify the Free Wallows. A way to somehow induce peace and joy. Unfortunately, they were blind to Mother's teachings, as preposterous as it may seem to the Artist. Perhaps arcanite could open new possibilities...

Raalmana, commune with me.

Part Wallowing he may be, the Artist was still part Mind. He could sense the war waging underneath him. And the new Shaded Minds, who he could see great resemblance to. Mortal, feeling Minds like he was. They definitely piqued his interest, but the safety of the Palace and his plan with Raalmana came first.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »

So. At last we speak. You have held my curiosity for some time.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14