Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving The New World OOC (Chucked into firepit)  (Read 28235 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Oh so the female player character gets slapped.  Classy  ::)

Never mind, I'll just get back in the kitchen.
Wait, seriously? You're roleplaying your character as showing visible signs of falling under the jungle's enchantment, just tried to sneak off alone, and mine is already aware that the place is trying to fuck with our senses. I mean, now that you mention it without context I can see where you're coming from, but it's not like he has smelling salts or a shot of adrenaline, and neither of them have talked much so he doesn't know that she's a treehugging plant-sympathizer. Ergo, sharp shock to the senses, because he's working on the assumption that everyone present is a sane person that doesn't want to be fertilizer, and would expect others to do the same if he was falling under the spell. But okay.

Next time I'll just let whoever it is that wants to play suicidal wander off into the land of the Man-Eating Lotuses, I suppose.

e: Or, more bluntly, when I look at people (or characters), I see "people".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:59:49 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

But... That isn't even a trope. It's not like he backhanded Natalie or anything, I envisioned it more as a light slap on the cheek to bring her back to her senses.

By the way, if I can kill the heart it should be fine.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I was being facetious people.  Hence the kitchen line.

I wrote the wandering off part before Dwarmin's post was done and the danger wasn't really apparent.  All I was seeing was they were walking into the jungle and Natalie thought the place was supernaturally nice.  I was thinking the wandering off would happen during the still nice part of the walk but I rather like the narrative effect of Natalie being a few minutes in the past while she's under the spell.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:17:11 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Ja, that was my initial impression, but there have been a few hardcore feminists on these forums before. -shrug-

Ispil is, like, soooooo screwed right now. I'm really gonna need to be on my a-game. The largest issue is that anything I can think of that's strong enough to control an entire island isn't likely to be something I can take on single-handedly without significant preparation, luck, and the element of surprise. I'm already missing the first and last of those things. >_>

Though then again, it could be the opposite. Its ability to control the plant network of the island/jungle might actually make it weak in personal combat sine so much of its strength is dedicated to its... 'Tendrils'.
The circle is complete.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Though then again, it could be the opposite. Its ability to control the plant network of the island/jungle might actually make it weak in personal combat sine so much of its strength is dedicated to its... 'Tendrils'.
From the perspective of a DM, there wasn't enough of a ramp up in difficulty and draining of resources to make this something you can one-shot with a fist.
From the perspective of an ecologist, which I am not, how does this jungle survive without pollinators?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

1) Sorry, I meant comparatively weak. E.g. not going to eviscerate me instantly and unfailingly strong. It'll probably still be tough, but maybe actually be something I can handle? Lord knows I have no other way of really getting out of this alive save taking out the head honcho. even ignoring the ship sailing off, if I sleep I'm ded.

2) Maaaaaaagic. Or a wizard did it. That, or since the plants can move themselves they manually pollinate in huge, writhing orgies of vines and flowers. -shrugs-
The circle is complete.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Ja, that was my initial impression, but there have been a few hardcore feminists on these forums before. -shrug-

It's like you are trying to yank my chain...

Ispil is, like, soooooo screwed right now. I'm really gonna need to be on my a-game. The largest issue is that anything I can think of that's strong enough to control an entire island isn't likely to be something I can take on single-handedly without significant preparation, luck, and the element of surprise. I'm already missing the first and last of those things. >_>

Plants aren't exactly known for their mobility.  Proper use of the stone structure strikes me as a way to avoid being overrun.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Quote from: mainiac
Plants aren't exactly known for their mobility.  Proper use of the stone structure strikes me as a way to avoid being overrun.

Maybe, but the image I got had the flower things growing off the walls, and the stone structures aren't exactly easy to navigate, reading the description. Ispil does have Athlete so he can actually move around via climing fairly well. Also, I can't do hit and run tactics since easily since I only have 10 ranged attacks.

Quote from: mainiac
It's like you are trying to yank my chain...

Not intentionally, at least. I was just noting that previously there were people who would cause massive arguments over things like what you mentioned. You being serious wasn't unthinkable, if unlikely.
The circle is complete.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Now I'm curious about your age.

Maybe, but the image I got had the flower things growing off the walls, and the stone structures aren't exactly easy to navigate, reading the description. Ispil does have Athlete so he can actually move around via climing fairly well. Also, I can't do hit and run tactics since easily since I only have 10 ranged attacks.

Well if you can manage to secure a safe area within the structure you just need to hold out for rescue.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yeah, sorry, it's like... Poe's law is in full force for feminism on here these days, worse than it was for political stuff a few years back. I didn't think that you were the sort of person to overreact like that, but better safe and appeasing than clogging up the thread with an argument. 

3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

In all seriousness, though, sorry for leaving Ipsil in the lurch, even if it would make more sense OOC to chase the juicy exp pinatas.

3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

IHO, if he's in the lurch then the danger is worse then we thought and charging blindly forward would just lead us to need a rescue.  If he will survive for the immediate moment then our best strategy is to take our time and get there in one piece.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The main problem is that we've got less than a day and the environment is conspiring to delay us. It's only maybe a kilometer from where he is to the ship, but if we're lost, being mindfucked, fighting, &c. we might well miss the departure. Goodness knows this is the perfect opportunity for some or all of us to fall through a damaged floor/trapdoor into some deep, dark pit and caverns below the temple, both for a killer DM and in terms of story structure.

There's also the concern over the jungle-thing pulling out actual, meaningful enchantment -- a party of 1st level characters can be wiped pretty easily if they get hit with a type of CC they're not prepared for, never mind annoying attrition battles against a living landscape.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23