Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving The New World OOC (Chucked into firepit)  (Read 28255 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Monks get magic strike at ~level 6, don't they?
That's largely meaningless. What we're talking about is applying weapon enhancements either to monks directly or to weapons that they can use to make unarmed strikes. So that their fists can be +3 Flaming Lucky fists or whatever.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Uh yeah, I try not to be ebul.

Note that magic weapons and magic in general is somewhat devalued in 5th edition-the guide suggests that GM's don't need a basement of ye olde bargain magic shop full of arcane stuff for the players to shop in after a dungeon-it says magic equipment should be a challenge to earn (I.e, reward players with magic equipment, not just piles of coins) unique and interesting (i.e, cursed), and worth more than any price of gold you could pay. I agree with that notion.

Generally, +1 Weapons and Armor are the greatest a mundane can make-they are considered masterworks, and you can buy them for a kingly sum...if you're lucky.

Are you going a bit of a more high-fantasy element with lots of magic in this campaign, Dwarmin? Or will it (mostly) be 'wild' magic in the New World rather than stuff controlled by wizards and so forth?

Though more seriously, do you think you'll be doing the thing where Monks can get enchanted gloves/fistweapons

Magic is both more controlled and more uncontrolled. Magic is slowly losing power in Nepathica as the age of machines and technology rolls on, and people have learned ways to harness some magics on a wide scale-however, the New World is still mostly untainted and untamed, and tends to be more wild and unpredictable. So depending on which side you're dealing with, you'll find very different reactions.

Enchanting unarmed attacks would work differently than doing the same with weapons, but it would be possible-in your case, I think it would be more akin to learning rare martial arts, and ancient techniques that mimic the effects. You would have to go to some lengths to find these-suitable questing for monks!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

I'm fine with that, but I'd still like to be able to find at least mundane versions of things like these, that make my unarmed attacks do slashing or piercing damage instead of bludgeoning.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If only because they look so baller. I do like the idea of learning different techniques though, and a custom monk path I was developing had the monk basically shape their ki into a cutting implement as they hit. (Similarly to the Hyuuga Clan of Naruto's Gentle Fist, but with more external damage.) so you can use various anime/real world martial arts as inspiration for what I can learn. Do note that I'd suggest the anime fighting styles more so than the real ones if only because they'd make more sense to use against monsters. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:08:23 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do note that I'd suggest the anime fighting styles more so than the real ones if only because they'd make more sense to use against monsters.

Yeah, your GM has no Naruto knowledge, though I know what it is. :P

You'll have to help me develop those as flavor for your character, if you like.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Naruto ninjas are basically gish sorcerers with no material component requirements, unlimited spells known, and that cast from mana instead of spells/day. That, and half of them have stupidly broken human-variant racial templates.

3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

They also shout out the names of all their attacks, which should be mandatory to do if UXLZ is going for such impractical looking gauntlet things and anime-based stuff.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Oh, and everyone who matters has some sort of eye power/change when they use their power. Also, Gigla, I just chose the coolest looking gauntlets, other things like Katars are perfectly viable.

I'd be fine with yelling out my attacks, and against non-sentients it may actually be an advantage, as they'd be distracted by the loud noises. ^_~
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and everyone who matters has some sort of eye power/change when they use their power. Also, Gigla, I just chose the coolest looking gauntlets, other things like Katars are perfectly viable.

I'd be fine with yelling out my attacks, and against non-sentients it may actually be an advantage, as they'd be distracted by the loud noises. ^_~

Before you get all that, try not to get eaten by the flowers at character level 1. :P

I'll have to prepare a predictably scathing character denouement for to display your high score (0) otherwise...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Try not to autokill me with monsters I can't handle or run away from. :v

Character level 1 is the easiest time to die, honestly. Ispil is like, sooo ded. :v

I betcha the Captain's Son's book woulda had the answers in it, if I'd bothered trying to get it.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try not to autokill me with monsters I can't handle or run away from. :v

I can guarantee there's almost always a way out of any situation. :P

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Let's hope the fire will actually help...
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

If it manages to catch it'll help the rescue party find you to save you leech XP from the army of Lotus-men coming to eat you alive.

3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He finds three people meandering on the beach-an unknown man with a fancy sword and a ...tiny pet dragon..., the non-descript one named Paul, and the Halfling woman Natalie, who seems to be somewhat charmed by the flowers. She looks like she's being affected by the same thing he felt.
Is Earl really that unmemorable?
Good.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Doesn't matter how memorable a changeling is, Immaterial, he could be that dude with the dragon and it wouldn't matter. :v
All it will do is make him stand out *more* when he displays is combat abilities.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He finds three people meandering on the beach-an unknown man with a fancy sword and a ...tiny pet dragon..., the non-descript one named Paul, and the Halfling woman Natalie, who seems to be somewhat charmed by the flowers. She looks like she's being affected by the same thing he felt.
Is Earl really that unmemorable?
Good.

I also mistook your character for a girl earlier, too.

It works.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23