Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving The New World OOC (Chucked into firepit)  (Read 28274 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

That's fine, as long as you aren't going to be overtaxed trying to make up all this stuff on your own. ^_^
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So that means we're having template based undead rather than creature based undead. That's great!

One of my least favorite things about 5th edition is that when you cast a spell like animate dead on something like a giant corpse, it turns into a wimpy human zombie instead. I understand that higher level necromancy involves casting spells that create ghouls, wights and ghasts, but after being spoiled on dungeon crawl stone soup and it being this way in previous editions. It makes me sad.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Wait, seriously? Okay, chalk up another reason to never play a necromancer in 5e.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

They at least gain the interesting power to control (some) undead permanently, though. but what it essentially does it make it better to control 'natural' zombies than make your own.

The circle is complete.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the spell finger of death allows you to gain a permanent no-need-to-control zombie if you kill someone with it (and it's quite powerful on it's own), but then again it's just a 1/2 CR zombie.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

One of my least favorite things about 5th edition is that when you cast a spell like animate dead on something like a giant corpse, it turns into a wimpy human zombie instead.
Any dm doing that would be forever marked by me as super boring :P

But then again getting a whole giant corpse to reaninate might require it to be fast as a higher level spell or something.
Love, scriver~

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

You can get Undead Beholders (CR 5), Ogre Zombies (CR 2), Minotaur Skeltons (CR 2), Vampire Spawn (CR 5, Hard to get), Wights (CR 3, Hard to get), Spectres (CR 1, Hard to get) as far as I can find at the moment permanently. The hard to get ones are the ones that have advantage on the saving throw.

Temporarily it's also possible to control Vampires and even Lich's, but they are extremely hard to get (Legendary Resistance/3 Auto-Succeeds on STs, advantage on the ST) as well as +3-5 modifiers to Charisma which is the saving throw stat, and as I said, temporary.

It would be interesting to control a vampire and force them to turn or, you control a Lich and force them to divulge their secrets. Outside of such interesting uses it's also essentially an auto-win in normal combat if it happens to succeed, so it isn't 100% useless against them.

Although the way it works is a bit annoying, since it means that even Thraz Kag'Gul, legendary Necromancer and Archmage, ruler of the ten thousand strong Undead Legions can... Fail to control a normal Zombie.
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Man, whatever happened to the old tradition of the corpses of the things you kill being part of the necro's loot? Or the helpful DMs who send you through a black onyx mine once or twice?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:51:19 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, we could always homebrew a new necromancy system. All we have to do is compare the stats of living creatures to their undead counterparts and create templates based off of them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

disgunbgud

3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

That leads to Necros being too strong.
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Not with the way the rest of it works in 5e. Let's lay it out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The tl;dr is that if you're a 20th level superspecialized necromancer, you can maintain a small group of useful undead or a slightly larger group of crap undead at the cost of being completely useless for literally everything that can't be solved with a small horde of undead. Also you have to be able to get to all of your undead every day or you lose control of them.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:06:16 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Create Undead.

Purposefully lose control.

Control Undead.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Oh, wait, nevermind, I didn't notice how Control Undead actually works.
My god that is a nearly useless skill. All it seems like it would be good for is momentarily controlling something like a Vamp or Lich under extremely circumstantial situations, or lugging around a Beholder Zombie.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 01:47:10 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

I guess Necromancers don't make good heroes...

Still, it seems pretty incomplete. Maybe WOTC is just keeping Necro's underfed until they release 5e Ravenloft...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

I think they may have just been being cautious. It's one of those things that is super easy to abuse.
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23