Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving The New World OOC (Chucked into firepit)  (Read 28326 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
D&D 5e: Braving The New World OOC (Chucked into firepit)
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:21:47 pm »

Game Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150406.msg6198560#msg6198560

It has been fifty years since the legendary Saffer Captain Aldf Maeloc returned to great fanfare and celebration in his home islands. Which was surprising, considering everyone thought he was long dead. Aldf had traveled further across the Winedark seas than any one before...his return brought tales of his adventures in the 'New World', with free, bountiful land-a whole new continent unsettled and ripe for despoiling.

Since that time, new, stronger sailing ships powered by elemental steam boilers, and the invention of powerful gunpowder weapons have enabled increasing numbers of people to emigrate and tame the new lands.

That's where you come in.

It's been said the time of heroes is coming to an end, back in the home countries. Many of the most dangerous monsters and threats have been long slain, their numbers gradually depleting to attrition-the great tombs, dungeons, and labyrinths of ages gone long broken and looted, one by one. Mass production of simple rifled firearms allows peasants to wield the power of mighty Wizards and Knights (at least so advertised).

However, there is still a place in the New World for your more specialized talents. Many frontier towns are woefully unprepared to deal with the threats their new home offers-there are still adventures to be found on the untamed borders of the known world...

You have obtained passage on a steamship and charted your course for the New World....where wealth, prestige, and danger await!

Character Info
Accepting 4 players-best sheets win, not first come, first serve. Feel free to make your own backstory, as Nepathica is always growing. :)
Starting Level 1
27 point buy, Stat Max 15 before racial adjustment
Roll for trinket if you want-feel free to build up backstory or character quirks from it.
Max HP at all levels. Yay!

Everything from the basic rules, eberron, waterborne and TOEE supplements are allowed. I don't have the other books myself, though if you do I'll allow you to use them-using the honor code that you're following the rules as written.

http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/PlayerDnDBasicRules_v0.2.pdf
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.1.pdf
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

Condensed rules for easy reading!
-->https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs5pr10crllgg45/condensed.pdf

Character sheets here.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/

Starting Equipment
Only start with the suggested equipment packs-I'll roll starting gold when the game starts, and all your purchases will be made in campaign. Note, I'll offer some equipment changes on the fly-certain background might start with a flintlock pistol, for example. I'm still working on upgrading the inventory, btw...

In addition, the following races, sub-races, and backgrounds are available via my own homebrew-no guarantees here, tho I tried to balance them out as best I could-many are a sort of a collection I got from other places.

Homebrew (sort of) rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Homebrew Races
Spoiler: Kenku (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kobold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lizardfolk (click to show/hide)

Homebrew Sub-races

Spoiler: Dwarf Sub-races (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elf Sub-races (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Human Sub-Races (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Halfling Sub-Races (click to show/hide)

Homebrew Backgrounds

Other Homebrew
Characters Playing

Waiting List
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:58:59 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 5e D&D Sandbox Adventure-Braving The New World (0/4 players accepted)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 12:23:30 pm »

New World Map

Equipment in the New World
Bayonet
1d6 Piercing damage
Weight: 1 Pds
Cost: 1 Gold
Ext: Bayonets are sharp spear-points fixed to the front of a rifle. You can use the double-weapon action when fighting with a bayonet and a rifle butt.

Flintlock Pistol
1d10 Ballistic damage
Traits: Loading
Range: 30/90
Weight: 3 Pds
Cost: 250 Gold
Ext: A flintlock pistol foes 1d4 bludgeon is used as a melee weapon.

Flintlock Rifle
1d12 Ballistic damage
Traits: Loading, Two Handed
Range: 40/120
Weight: 10 Pds
Cost: 500 Gold
Ext: A flintlock pistol foes 1d6 bludgeon is used as a melee weapon.

Roundballs (30)
Weight: 2 Pds
Cost: 10 Gold

Gunpowder Horn (30)
Cost: 30 Gold

Cartridges (30)
Cost: 150 Gold

Note: Ballistic firearms are more powerful then any mundane weapon in history-and while the use of arcane magic is stronger in many ways, it only takes a month to train a boy to use a rifle and it takes many years of study for a Wizard to come into his prime. Ballistic weapons always have the advantage on damage rolls, so they tend to do very good damage. They also have an increased range of critical hit by +2. Of course, gunpowder and bullets aren't cheap, and some of the weapons you'll find on the frontier are certainly not up to imperial standards of craftsmanship. Weather and bad handling or just bad luck can also render a firearms completely useless-the art of swordplay is not entirely forgotten, at least for now.

There's two types of ammunition you can utilize a firearm-standard method is 'Roundballs' and a powder horn. This takes at least two full actions to completely load the weapon. Reloading during battle or adverse conditions increases the chance of a dangerous misfire.

Cartridges (high tech and pricy in this era) are new to warfare, combining both ball and powder. You can load and fire cartridges in a single move action, and open fire in the same round. Cartridges also tend to be much more reliable than the old ball and horn method.

Grenade
Dc 12 DEX save, or 3d6 Fire Damage in 5ft radius explosion
Traits: Thrown
Range: 60ft
Weight: 1 Pds
Cost: 12.5 Gold

The World of Nepathica

Language Text Indications

Special Materials

Quick History
Nepathica is a world essentially in what we consider our early industrial age, and as such, this game has a few difference from the standard fantasy edge. Gunpowder weapons are available at stock prices-they are powerful ranged weapons that do not yet totally outclass bows. Elemental powered steam engines are also common.

Humans
The undisputed race to benefit most from the advances of the Era are the Humans. From sunlight sea to winedark sea, they lead the way in nearly every category-so much that many humanoid races are slowly being absorbed by them.

Dwarves
Dwarves also heavily benefited from the advances, at least initially-their raw materials were needed in great numbers to feed the forges and engines of progress. Eventually, however, many of them found their new cosmopolitan natures to be slowly eroding their own cultural values, and some have difficulty even telling the difference between Dwarf and Human any longer. This slow death is not always a bitter one, but it is tragic...

Dwarves who come to the New World are few, but many are hardened explorers and pioneers who accept that perhaps they are the last true paragons of their species.

Elves
Elves have suffered as a race, mostly due to the fact their domination of the realm of arcane is no longer a sure guard of their holdings. The power of the gunpowder has evened the battlefield-reduced them and made them more vulnerable-and many of their ancient kingdoms and realms have rapidly been overthrown by angry mobs of their subjects.

Many Elves find themselves fleeing to the New World just to escape, with no thought to destination or purpose.

Halflings
The once agrarian Halflings have in many places found themselves forced into rural and city life, but they have adapted very quickly. Clever and quick, they've quickly managed to insinuate themselves into this era without losing their identities, like many others-in some cases, they've even managed to retain control of their lands over humans.

Warforged
In this era, there are very more Warforged then ever-the secrets to their construction has been partially unraveled, and for good or bad, they walk the world once again in many varied new forms. There is some anger between 'old' Warforged-those who have lived centuries and were likely constructed in a far different manner-and the 'new' Warforged, composed of shining pressed steel and powerful steam engines, who come to replace them.

Given they are considered sentient, just as many have taken the opportunity to explore the far reaches of the maps, or been dispatched on missions across the length of the New Word.

The New World is just another step for a Halfling.

Areas of Note in the New World

Spoiler: Egrond (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Erias (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Norgar (click to show/hide)

How to Play
This game is essentially a sandbox, with players competing to achieve the most wealth and adventure experience before their death, or retirement. A score (your level, times total wealth held and in equipment with additional numerical bonuses based on how well you achieve your story goal) will be put onto a high score list, rating you with other players. Retiring without achieving your 'story goal', or tragically dying, will halve your score.

Unlike other campaigns, you do not technically have to work with any other players to achieve your goals (thought they are not strangers to you at the beginning of the game, and you may even set up a shared backstory), though no secret actions are allowed, and your location cannot be actively hidden from others-so open hostility will likely be met with failure, unless it's very well planned.

Likewise, expect the game to play a bit differently than usual-some encounters may be clearly impossible for  you to win, though this will never be completely unexpected. There's no plot armor here...

All players have an additional goal that only they can achieve to 'win' the game, or at least score more points-this is based on your backstory. This optional goal will at minimum be achievable by level 10, and while you can attempt a mission before then, the difficulty of your 'story' encounters will always scale upwards with your current level, or the average level of your party.

This game is further unique in that your food/water consumption, inventory, ammunition, and encumberance are all tracked-you have to plan well before heading out into the wild. You'll find many monsters and threats in the new world are much different than you expect, as well...knowledge checks will provide less reliable information, and will have to be supplemented by observation and gathering information from the locals.

=Quick info on Survival in the New World=

The average person needs a gallon of water and a pound of food a day to live to normal climates.

Most of the time, you won't have to actively hunt for water or forage for food-you'll automatically refill your stocks if the opportunity arises, without having to directly state so-I'll give you the occasional WIS check to indicate safely foraging for food and searching for water during your rests. Being proficient on the nature or survival skills also lets you have a chance of identifying and collecting useful herbs.

If you don't have any luck, you'll take food and water from your inventory. I'll warn you if your character is starting to run out. You may wish to take a more direct role, of course, hunting for larger game (which can be dangerous) and finding sources of clean water that do not rely on the whims of rolls.

This rule is also in effect.

Variant: Encumbrance
If you carry weight in excess of 5 times your Strength score, you are encumbered, which means your speed drops by 10 feet. If you carry weight in excess of 10 times your Strength score, up to your maximum carrying capacity, you are instead heavily encumbered, which means your speed drops by 20 feet and you have disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws that use Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.

I should note that it is not easy to drop all your gear in the middle of battle. It will take at least a full, uninterrupted turn to shed yourself of all heavy bags. If you're targeted directly by a threat, you can't unburden yourself.

New World Knowledge Checks
These work differently in my game than normal-essentially, none of your characters can actually have much in the way of pre-knowledge of many of the things you face in the new world, though of course there are still monsters that you are familiar with.

Thus, knowledge checks against 'new world' creatures work in the following way.

-You have to spend some time studying your target. There is no instant recollection of all the facts when facing something that has never been formally studied. This is done in your downtime-going through books of lore, chatting up the locals for rumors, studying the monsters corpse, or even a live version of it you captured. This can take many different rolls, but every point you gain gains you more understanding, but every way can only offer so many points-essentially, you'll only get one roll from a single source at a time, and will require new sources of information to gain more knowledge.

The following numbers, added to the creatures DC, are what you need to unlock knowledge about it. Every roll adds to the amount over time.

DC 20 tells you the "name" on the creature and its type (Abberation, Outsider, etc.) If this is a version of an monster that was familiar in the old world (like a common Troll) you'll identify it and gain full knowledge. Otherwise...
DC 25 gives you its ability scores, strongest attack, and its weakest save. You learn of it's special abilities, but not their exact effect or how to neutralize them.
DC 30 gives you any resistances or vulnerabilities, and a ballpark for HP (under 50, under 100, under 200). You'll learn some useful tricks to defeat it and counter it's abilities.
DC 40+ gives the whole stat block. You'll finally learn many details of how it lives, breeds, hunts and perceives the world.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:02:41 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Looks excellent, Dwarmin - I hope I get time and inspiration to make someone good enough.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made a Paladin character for a different game of 5th edition DnD, but unfortunately that game never happened so now I have a leftover character. Since Paladins aren't in the basic rules but in the players handbook will I still be able to join? I don't know if your honour system extends to entire classes and class specific spells.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made a Paladin character for a different game of 5th edition DnD, but unfortunately that game never happened so now I have a leftover character. Since Paladins aren't in the basic rules but in the players handbook will I still be able to join? I don't know if your honour system extends to entire classes and class specific spells.

It really depends on how much you are willing to write out for your poor GM. :P

I can accept a Paladin, I just need to know details about certain class things-don't need the whole writeup, just what you use. Generally, you'll have to PM me anything vital as you level, is all.

Also, I need to get a Pantheon ready if you're going that direction...think I'll use Greyhawk...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Copyright infrigment

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:27:24 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Ahhh

I said I'd reserved a place D:

Hold on a sec while I churn out a character.

Also, heh heh. I see Ketari there.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Null

Yeah, that's good. You might want to just send this to me in PM form, tho. And delete the post. :P They are all sensitive about printing DD info openly like this.

Let's just dot our I's and cross our Q's on this, Johnson. I don't want internal affairs up my ass!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Null
Let's just dot our I's and cross our Q's on this, Johnson. I don't want internal affairs up my ass!

Don't make me ask for your badge! You're a loose cannon... but a damn fine DM cop!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So do I get my holy symbol for free or will I have to buy it on character creation?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e Sandbox Adventure: Braving The New World (0/4 players accepted)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 04:36:51 pm »

the legendary Saffer Captain Aldf Maeloc

:D
Love, scriver~

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 06:20:45 pm »

Oh goodie. Sheet up soon.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 06:33:51 pm »

Woo. Looks cool. If I have time I'll throw up a sheet. I've very interested in trying out a sorcerer.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 06:46:38 pm »

I'm so in.
Dwarmin, could we use the other supplements that WOTC published? Like the Eberron one?

Ideas for my reference:
Cartographer Ranger/Druid, out to explore some shit.
Assassin Grippli/Kenku/Changeling?, out to take revenge/seed chaos.
Necromancer plantation owner, out to grow some dank herbs expensive spices.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:26:16 pm by My Name is Immaterial »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23