Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving The New World OOC (Chucked into firepit)  (Read 28266 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My buff suggestion for control undead would be this:

Have it so control undead would be a feature that you can only use once per long rest. It would attempt to control all undead within 60ft. Each rolling a save. Some are bound resist the spell. Eventually the control expires after (to be determined) amount of time.

What do you think? I think that sounds like a decent 14th level ability. It's more of a panic button, or a we need to make one final push sort of ability. I say keep the intelligent creature eventually breaking out of your control feature.

Also, I don't think the animate dead feature is underpowered.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:17:49 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The feature's good... except that with how the spells work, all it does is make necromancy slightly less shit.

I mean, I understand why they did it, but massing hordes was only ever circumstantial back in 3.xe. Most of what you'd do is find a nice big nasty thing to reanimate, and use skeletons to crew ships, guard places, serve as cannonfodder, &c. Even if they let you do something like control as many Medium/Small zombies or skeletons as you could fit into the 60' radius circle times the number of Animate Dead casts you get, it'd still be pretty lame.

Either you're wasting all of your spells on undead upkeep, or you're using all of your spells on undead upkeep to deal with problems that could just as easily be solved with... spells! The only real use I see for it is as a supplementary spell for non-necromancer wizards to make disposable trap-checkers. The Control feature is sort of nice, until you realize that most of the things worth controlling have a decent shot at beating the DC, and such situations can be readily resolved with application of fire and swords anyways. Unless you really wanted to infect yourself with vampirism or something, I suppose.

Part of this could just be my innate dislike for the combat elements of necromancy, especially in 5e -- no thought involved, just send in the zombies and skeletons until the targets are dead or you have to run away, doing nothing but blasting with cantrips in the meantime. I also had a thorough distaste for Leadership shenanigans for similar reasons, so maybe it's just me being silly.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:04:00 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Yeah, the only thing really worth controlling that won't have a really good shot at beating the DC is a Beholder Zombie.

Also, why the F@*K does a Wight have a Charisma score of 15?
Undead be charismatic, yo.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:23:14 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

This is the image Ispil's profile picture is cropped from. Importantly, look at the sword. How prophetic. XD

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/024/3/a/dark_souls__in_the_shrine__by_k_nashi-d72tnh8.png.

This is obviously an omen that the Fire Elemental and him are going to become travelling partners, her(?) inhabiting the short sword he carries. The beginnings of a beautiful friendship, indeed?
The circle is complete.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you think you could put links to the other threads in the OP of the IC and OOC? Thanks!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Did it.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

So, I was re-looking over the Monk Class again, and my god its 20th level Feature is terrible.

If you have no Ki points left, when you roll for initiative, you can regain 4.

Do note that at that level you have 20 (so you regain 1/5th of them, which isn't really that much. By the way, you also regain all of them at the end of both short and long rests, with the stipulation being you have to spend 30 minutes of that rest meditating.)

I'll probably take a single Sorcerer level or something at some point, depending on how Dwarmin rules the interaction of Draconic Resilience and Unarmored Defense. I can already think of a few IC reasons for this multiclass, as well.

Edit: Sadly, it was not to be. At least, that combination, having checked it out it isn't going to work.
Definitely looking carefully into taking 2 Warlock levels at some point, and it's something that I can reasonably do in-game as well which is excellent. Might be a liiitttle hard with where the Class's power comes from, but we'll see.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:42:19 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Don't think I didn't see that, you sneaky worldbuilder, you.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now that I've gone to all the trouble, you better not go and create a time paradox on me:P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm considering multiclassing, doing a Rogue 3/Warlock 3, but I had a question about multiclassing. By RAW, you have to hit level 4 in a single class to get the ability score improvement. Would you allow me to get the advancement every 4th level instead?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, multiclassing comes with drawbacks...that's one of them, I guess.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

What? What did he do?
Love, scriver~

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, multiclassing comes with drawbacks...that's one of them, I guess.
Disappointing, but I understand your reasoning.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Why would you want to multiclass as a rogue? Flavor? I'm personally doing because flavor and that terrible capstone the monks have. (Seriously, Perfect Self suuuuucks.)

Ispil's job is looking ever harder and harder. Freaking well-prepared-sailors. :v
Still, he only has to break the engine temporarily...
Freaking captain's son, gotta be all on guard duty and stuff.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:41:11 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ispil's job is looking ever harder and harder. Freaking well-prepared-sailors. :v

C'mon, all that's in your way is a wire fence with a cheap padlock, and a teenager with his head in a book. Not the greatest obstacle you'll face in your adventures. :P

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23