« on: April 25, 2015, 02:17:37 am »

-
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:27:59 am by Emma »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games About Japan?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:33:36 am »

So... how deep do you want the game to be?
Sengoku by paradox interactive might be way too much for a whole class to play.
But its during the 16th century and you pick a lineage/clan/family to play as so i guess its a good nobleman simulation

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:34:04 am »

Yandere Simulator :P
On a more serious note, you could search for a visual novel about the topic...? I've never played any, but it could work.
Other than that, no idea.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:25:20 am »

I don't think he means having the class boot up some computers for a powergaming MP session, or an anime boobufestu. That seems a bit outside the realm of a classroom activity. :P
I haven't spent any time in the forum game board whatsoever, but I'm guessing it'd be something similar to those games.

An easy activity would be to divide the class into daimyos or clans by giving out randomly distributed notecards and some kind of tokens representing fiefs (could just be pennies or checkers or something), with one person/group starting as the shogun and the rest trying to work together to force a new shogun. You don't actually have to simulate war or real diplomacy or anything, it's probably enough to just get the kids wandering around making alliances and planning those hypothetical wars (with the teacher reigning it in before anyone gets in a fistfight over some rusty change).

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:48:59 am »

-
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:28:10 am by Emma »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:51:47 am »

Only mac? Download Crossover.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 03:55:58 am »

Try the Feudalism flash games, perhaps?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 04:02:10 am »

Try the Feudalism flash games, perhaps?
Feudalism?
That doesn't really seem like a good idea.
They're not exactly historically accurate.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 04:03:42 am »

What, like Shogun Total War?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 04:04:58 am »

What, like Shogun Total War?
Can't say I've played it, but Feudalism is probably even less historically accurate.
I doubt that Japanese Samurai and Shoguns used Shuriken during combat, for example.

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:10 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikou_Risshiden_V

The name of the game roughly means "the Taikō's success story". The games involve the player taking on the role of a character from the Momoyama period in one of seven roles (samurai, warrior, pirate, ninja, businessman, doctor, tea man, and blacksmith) and living that life through minigames, resource management, and strategic thinking. A good player will meet various historical figures of the era. This game combines ROTK 7, 8, and 10 and put them in one game set in the sengoku era.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 05:39:00 am »

The only things i can think of is Shogun Total War 1 and 2.

there is a strategy game called Takeda thats set in japa but i can't say much about it or any educational value it might have.

Oh and there is a Japan themes Mount & Blade mod.
http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/3816/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fmbwarband%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D3816&pUp=1#content
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 05:58:41 am »

Yume Nikki will teach you everything you need to know about Japan. But since you only have Mac, you may have to settle for Hatoful Boyfriend.

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 08:40:55 am »

Ok, recapituling: feudal Japan, accurate and Mac. And all legal.

I recommend Software Library for MS-DOS: https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

Games: Sword of Samurai (action minigames, strategy and roleplaying) and Nobunaga's Ambition II (strategy)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:37:03 am by dehimos »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 08:55:37 am »

Nobunaga's Ambition.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: [1] 2