Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100393 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather
« Reply #1035 on: September 02, 2017, 07:41:41 pm »

That's all about free mods already, though? Paid mods don't add much nastiness on top of the nastiness that exists there.

I'm peetty sure the whole point of that post is "companies often have strict and brutal policies with regards to the freedom of modders but don't bother to enforce it because there's no money to be made doing so, and if you suddenly make the regulation of moderation valuable by endorsing paid mods, that provides a financial incentive for them to crack down on violations of their existing rules"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 02, 2017, 08:11:11 pm »

ah, then that's definitely a good point

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 02, 2017, 09:39:11 pm »

Consumers: All of our unpaid mods stopped working because you ruined our load order, or because our paid mods conflict. You specifically promised that this exact situation would not arise. And now you want us to buy mods that are the same, but of lower quality!

Zenimax/Bethesda: What can I say, except...

Working as intended indeed
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 04, 2017, 12:24:56 pm »

That's all about free mods already, though? Paid mods don't add much nastiness on top of the nastiness that exists there.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of that post is "companies often have strict and brutal policies with regards to the freedom of modders but don't bother to enforce it because there's no money to be made doing so, and if you suddenly make the regulation of moderation valuable by endorsing paid mods, that provides a financial incentive for them to crack down on violations of their existing rules"

That's one of my strongest reasons against it - as soon as they can get away with it, they'll completely shut down Nexus et al. and enforce a closed modding system. It just takes them to make a little bit more money than the money they'll lose from internet rage and they'll do it.

Then it's only a hop skip and a jump before we get a 'mod store' like Apple/Android, where you have to pay to have your mods hosted. Then the modders will be reallllllly raking in the money right? they'll all get paid their fair share then right?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 04, 2017, 03:49:32 pm »

I can admit that Paid Mods would be a good thing in the best case scenario, but based upon current and prior behavior of several companies, we will never get that situation.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 05, 2017, 06:02:48 pm »

They were shut down from outright implementing a paid mod system, so they are trying to remove the sources and methods by which they were shut down. All they need to do is create acceptance of the concept of paid mods. They have exactly no reason to allow unpaid mods to exist after that, and every reason to bar them. They would be the only ones making mods, because then you'll have no choices but to buy from them or from noone.

It doesn't matter if the modding community dwindles after that point, or if the lifespan of the game shortens, because they will still be making more money than they did before, and that is what matters to them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 10, 2017, 06:12:15 am »

-snip-

Does that mean that someone can just download a CC mod for free, change the name of the plugin, and play with the mod? That's friggin' adorable and sad at the same time. Not only Bethesda had no idea of how to market CC properly, but they also didn't think thorough that people will try to pirate the mods. Oh, and I'm still feeling insulted after that "Dwarven Mudcrab for 1 dollar" bullshit. How can someone scream about "subjective quality" when a huge-ass development studio charges money for a maymay? Just. Fucking. HOW?! Alright, even if Bethesda decides to shut down CC after all the negative reviews flood on Steam, I'm still not gonna buy ANY of their games, no matter how great they could be. This is the worst gaming year EVER. At least 2016 had some games I've enjoyed despite the flaws. 2017 has no games which are even remotely interesting for me...
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 10, 2017, 06:29:08 am »

As I understand it, you be already downloaded the CC content with the latest Skyrim update. Well, if you've got it installed of course. Otherwise you will download it automatically when you install it.
Love, scriver~

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 10, 2017, 06:37:48 am »

As I understand it, you be already downloaded the CC content with the latest Skyrim update. Well, if you've got it installed of course. Otherwise you will download it automatically when you install it.

Yeah, I got it already. What I'm interested in, will someone who pirated the mod will be able to run it without paying through CC? Or CC will detect and block the mod?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 10, 2017, 06:48:25 am »

Ah.

...Anyone willing to try?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 10, 2017, 07:01:27 am »

If the CC is just a big assed .BSA, then it is just packaged assets.

Meshes, models, voice files, animations, etc.

Scripts, inventories, item placements, etc-- are all contained in .esp files.  So while you have assets for the paid mods, you dont get the actual mod content completely, if what I am hearing is legitimately correct.

However, it DOES make mod piracy *VERY* easy.  Instead of distributing a sometimes 500+mb package, you download a teeny 1-5mb .esp file, which can be packaged into a bulk pack.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1046 on: September 15, 2017, 04:14:07 pm »

Heh, someone's made a mod for fallout 4 which does nothing but removes the paid mods and creation club for fallout 4.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 15, 2017, 04:15:58 pm »

Did they start charging for it? :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1048 on: September 15, 2017, 04:17:00 pm »

Did they start charging for it? :P
That would be amusing. I'm more wondering if bethesda will go after the modder for blocking what is basically their microtransaction store.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 15, 2017, 04:46:16 pm »

I'm confident that they won't.  Wouldn't benefit them anyway, heh.  But it demonstrates how this really isn't a big deal at all, despite the hype.

Now, if they *do* block it, I guess I entirely misread the situation!  I'll be done playing apologist, that's for sure :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71