Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100748 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #360 on: April 25, 2015, 06:51:51 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:43:37 pm by penguinofhonor »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 25, 2015, 06:56:50 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:43:42 pm by penguinofhonor »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 25, 2015, 06:57:41 pm »

...would it piss people off if I just started referring to this whole thing as "ModGate" just to see how long it takes before everyone else does?
I think that would just make the situation worse from all sides.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 25, 2015, 07:00:19 pm »

I still have major issues. Valve and Bethesda should not be getting 75 friggan percent. Bethesda shouldn't be getting anything. Valve should only be getting a hosting fee of, say 10%, and that's being generous.
You do realize that Valve standard, takes a 30% share of any game on steam, right?

And I find it funny how on one hand, Bethesda is supposed not to profit from all these mods using their game, tools and IP, and on the other hand modders have their content stolen/reused is the literal end of the world.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 25, 2015, 07:01:00 pm »

I like how we're entitled for wanting the modding community to stay as it was a week ago. Is this what being a monarchist is like?

Give those people enough time, and they'll say that we're entitled for using public benches for free. After all, people invested a lot of work into producing, delivering and repairing that bench, how dare we imply that we should be able to sit on it for free!

You're sitting in it for free, but it is not a free bench. Someone got paid to do all that work installing and maintaining it. I'd be all for a system where someone subsidized modders besides mod users, but I think that's unlikely.

I think this metaphor shows how little most mod users think or care about the effort that goes into the mods they use (not saying this is a mod user specific behavior, people do this all the time about pretty much everything).
Where did I said anything about it being a "free bench"???

The whole point is that I, I as in the person, can use the bench for FREE. Not for a small amount of money - for free.

And this system where someone subsidizes modders beside the mod users ALREADY EXISTS. Ever heard of "donations"? You know, the system where most of the money is usually supplied by a very small percentage of people?
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 25, 2015, 07:01:21 pm »

I still have major issues. Valve and Bethesda should not be getting 75 friggan percent. Bethesda shouldn't be getting anything. Valve should only be getting a hosting fee of, say 10%, and that's being generous.
You do realize that Valve standard, takes a 30% share of any game on steam, right?

And I find it funny how on one hand, Bethesda is supposed not to profit from all these mods using their game, tools and IP, and on the other hand modders have their content stolen/reused is the literal end of the world.

Have you only been paying any attention whatsoever to this community that's been around for over a decade in the last couple days?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 25, 2015, 07:03:16 pm »

... bethesda has been profiting from those mods using their game, massively, for literally over a decade.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 25, 2015, 07:05:14 pm »

...would it piss people off if I just started referring to this whole thing as "ModGate" just to see how long it takes before everyone else does?
One google search and that is already a thing.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 25, 2015, 07:05:33 pm »

I googled Modgate + Skyrim and already see entries.

Looks like you're beat.

You do realize that Valve standard, takes a 30% share of any game on steam, right? And I find it funny how on one hand, Bethesda is supposed not to profit from all these mods using their game, tools and IP, and on the other hand modders have their content stolen/reused is the literal end of the world.
Neither Valve nor Bethesda should get more than the modder does for anything they've made. Especially if they're claiming to support modding.

The Creation Kit was bundled with the game. It was already paid for. We paid for the game. We paid for the kit, heck we paid for the official DLCs. Bethesda already gets money from mods, mods = replayability = more game value = more purchases. Don't moneygrub any more than that.

And please, do share more about how us caring about  something you don't amuses you.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 25, 2015, 07:06:47 pm »

... bethesda has been profiting from those mods using their game, massively, for literally over a decade.
Implicitly, technically, but profit nonetheless.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 25, 2015, 07:09:36 pm »

If it wasn't for those mods a lot of people, including myself, would never have bought an Elder Scrolls game at all. They did profit from it, now they want to double dip and make money off a thriving mod ecosystem that could only have existed as the result of over a decade of labors of love by turning it into an appstore. No thank you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 25, 2015, 07:39:08 pm »

Mods already increase their game's parent company profits. By  their very existence, they make games more replayable, and therefore more likely to be bought.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 25, 2015, 07:41:34 pm »

This whole thing reminds me of the crooked innkeeper from Les Miserables:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k6uqhKEAOM#t=02m02s
"...Charge 'em for the lice. Extra for the mice. 2% for looking in the mirror twice. Here a little slice, there a little cut. 3% for sleeping with the window shut..."
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 25, 2015, 07:42:29 pm »

Mods already increase their game's parent company profits. By  their very existence, they make games more replayable, and therefore more likely to be bought.
But you see, in modern video game industry mods make the game less profitable because they reduce the total space available for making DLCs!

This is why we can't have nice things.
._.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 25, 2015, 07:55:54 pm »

The whole point is that I, I as in the person, can use the bench for FREE. Not for a small amount of money - for free.
Stop paying taxes and it won't be long before the bench falls into disrepair. You don't pay to use it, but you do pay for it to exist. So the monarchists can't call us entitled without risking another revolution. Private benches, on the other hand...
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 71