Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100722 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #330 on: April 25, 2015, 04:50:13 pm »

So does chemotherapy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 25, 2015, 04:55:32 pm »

I don't think it is in this case. I mean, as far as I have found several of the core complaints about the system are downright incorrect or heavily misleading. At this point the vitriol has made the debate pretty much impossible.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 25, 2015, 05:11:30 pm »

Please explain to us these downright incorrect and/or heavily misleading points; I'd be happy to run them through with you.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 25, 2015, 05:17:37 pm »

I don't think it is in this case. I mean, as far as I have found several of the core complaints about the system are downright incorrect or heavily misleading. At this point the vitriol has made the debate pretty much impossible.

Indeed as Blaze has said, please elaborate. My position has remained unchanged on this matter and am happy to debate it with you.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 25, 2015, 05:19:23 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:43:31 pm by penguinofhonor »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 25, 2015, 05:29:41 pm »

The most obvious example was that "Valve is taking down donation links!" thing that was a big focus of this controversy until everyone realized it was fake. News spreads through these things based on the amount of outrage is causes, not its factuality. It's like shitty journalism but with less accountability somehow.
"big focus" [citation needed]

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 25, 2015, 05:32:04 pm »

Ah, so when a company does something unacceptable, we shouldn't use every available tool to push back! I understand now, but I still have one question: after we sit back and let game companies do whatever they want without protest, should we complain on tumblr about being oppressed?

As an internet mob signing petitions and harassing others, circlejerking so hard they've convinced themselves every tiny action on social media is an important part of their righteous battle,

Well, my answer to that is that we haven't tried yet, and we shall see
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 25, 2015, 05:34:34 pm »

The most obvious example was that "Valve is taking down donation links!" thing that was a big focus of this controversy until everyone realized it was fake. News spreads through these things based on the amount of outrage is causes, not its factuality. It's like shitty journalism but with less accountability somehow.
Then we'll concede this point and move on to the next one.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 25, 2015, 05:36:23 pm »

Well, let's start :

- Valve is taking down donation links : Fabrication
- Valve takes 75% of mod revenue : Misleading, Bethesda chooses the ratio
- Valve is censoring discussion : Misleading/False. Mod owners chose to restrict discusion to paying users only to avoid brigading by people who disliked stuff on principle.
- Valve does nothing to police the system False. Mods have to be approved before becoming sellable. They merely rely on community policing for the first line of weeding out crap and obvious thefts.
- Valve is splitting the modding community in have's and have -not's. A pay what you want button exists, and can theoretically function as donation button. Thus restricting access is now solely the choice of the modder.

I think that's just about everything really.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:39:12 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 25, 2015, 05:43:44 pm »

Well, let's start :

- Valve is censoring discussion : Misleading/False. Mod owners chose to restrict discusion to paying users only to avoid brigading by people who disliked stuff on principle.
- Valve does nothing to police the system False. Mods have to be approved before becoming sellable. They merely rely on community policing for the first line of weeding out crap and obvious thefts.
- Valve is splitting the modding community in have's and have -not's. A pay what you want button exists, and can theoretically function as donation button. Thus restricting access is now solely the choice of the modder.

None of these points was significant in the first place. The real issue is that it will attracts opportunists who will increase the amount of shit (though less of it may be UTTER shit due to oversight; it'll be passible shit, but still mostly shit) you have to sort through to find something good (a process which will furthermore no longer be automatically free), break interdependable mods, discourage collaboration, draw modders away from sites like Nexus, and worst of all will create a negative culture of greed
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:46:15 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 25, 2015, 05:51:06 pm »

Filtering paid mods out is easy, and for the other two points it seems to me that the violent kneejerk reaction has done far more damage to the community than the opportunity to get money ever did.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 25, 2015, 05:51:14 pm »

So we should shift blame away from Valve and should blame Bethesda for it instead. Noted.
It still doesn't excuse this cash grab.

Accounts have been tempbanned for making statements against it. However, my only source are those in the anti-paid mod groups, so I can neither prove this true or false.

- Valve does nothing to police the system False. Mods have to be approved before becoming sellable. They merely rely on community policing for the first line of weeding out stuff.
Why does the community have to weed out stuff when Valve/Bethesda are the ones making money off it?
Again, Cash Grab at the cost of the community.

- Valve is splitting the modding community in have's and have -not's. A pay what you want button exists. Thus restricting access is now solely the choice of the modder.
The users of the modding community says it does. The modders of the modding community says it does. Saying it does not is like saying those who both use and make mods knows less about how the modding community works than Valve does.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:57:55 pm by Blaze »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 25, 2015, 06:01:03 pm »

Well, you do have 24 hours to get an automatic refund. So sifting through it all for something good is still free. Pay, hate, refund, done. Interdependable mods... just need to have a license agreement.
It takes a lot more than 24 hours for a mod to be considered "Bug Free", even if all that time is spent playing it.

The problems I have with the workshop is as follows:

1.  75% "fee" (And the fact that mods have to make at least $400 to get a payout at all).
2.  No system in place to stop stolen mods
3.  No system in place to limit low-effort mods (Even a filter will do).
4.  No guarantee that the mod will be patched if an update happens. (Steam's response is, if the modder does nothing it sucks to be you).
5.  24 hour return policy which does nothing to ensure that a mod is compatible. Errors may only become evident days after "purchase."
6.  Not even a minimum guarantee of Quality Assurance. At least developer-produced DLC is expected to have gone through QA. (Early access mods? Really?)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 25, 2015, 06:03:00 pm »

Well, let's start :

None of these points was significant in the first place. The real issue is that it will attracts opportunists who will increase the amount of shit (though less of it may be UTTER shit due to oversight; it'll be passible shit, but still mostly shit) you have to sort through to find something good (a process which will furthermore no longer be automatically free), break interdependable mods, discourage collaboration, and worst of all will create a negative culture of greed

Well, you do have 24 hours to get an automatic refund. So sifting through it all for something good is still free. Pay, hate, refund, done. Interdependable mods... just need to have a license agreement.

It takes over 20 hours to start some mods, much less determine whether or not they actually work.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 25, 2015, 06:07:38 pm »

It takes a lot more than 24 hours for a mod to be considered "Bug Free", even if all that time is spent playing it.

The problems I have with the workshop is as follows:

1.  75% "fee" (And the fact that mods have to make at least $400 to get a payout at all).
2.  No system in place to stop stolen modsFalse
3.  No system in place to limit low-effort mods (Even a filter will do). False
4.  No guarantee that the mod will be patched if an update happens. (Steam's response is, if the modder does nothing it sucks to be you).
5.  24 hour return policy which does nothing to ensure that a mod is compatible. Errors may only become evident days after "purchase."
6.  Not even a minimum guarantee of Quality Assurance. At least developer-produced DLC is expected to have gone through QA. (Early access mods? Really?)False

Half your complaints are false. Mods have to be approved by the community, then by Bethesda, and a filter as well as rating systems exist. Low effort and stolen mods shouldn't make it through. I wonder how you managed to miss the moderation thing really, considering it's on a banner on all the potential paid mod pages.

It takes over 20 hours to start some mods, much less determine whether or not they actually work.

Chances are those won't make it into the shop.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:11:25 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 71