Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100487 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2015, 11:44:07 pm »

It's not steambucks, it's proper money.

Oh no this is terrible, now instead of either facing a decision to make no money or receive a cease and desist, people can choose to try making money. Seriously, that's all this is: a pre-negotiated licensing agreement open to the public. Oh no, modders will have to actually make use of license docs! Oh wait they already do that if they want to be taken seriously and not sued. Tantrum in a teacup.

Modders have already been making money. Gula (mentioned earlier) was making $842 per mod before this whole debacle. Meph makes a small amount of money from donations.

This is basically a culmination of all the stuff valve gets shit for. It combines the hat greed and shovelware criticisms into one gigantic shitstorm.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:46:07 pm by Putnam »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2015, 11:46:21 pm »

Valve is removing patreon/donation links from mod pages.
Every day it gets harder and harder to like Valve.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2015, 11:54:26 pm »

Oh boy. These are troubling advances. Frankly this shit gets me so mad. I'm usually a calm guy, and frankly i've been trying to play LESS video games as I get older, but to know that some of the shit that made my early years so enjoyable is getting fucked over by Valve is making MY. BLOOD. BOIL.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2015, 11:55:25 pm »

Crossposting from the Skyrim thread in other games.

Am I reading this right? Is Valve saying it's okay to sell derived content via the abandonware excuse? This system will be swatted down by DMCAs before it even gets off the runway.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2015, 11:55:56 pm »

Considering the context and cuts, it seems more likely something that Bethesda wanted to do and Valve happened to be the only people willing to go along with it.

Which was a very bad idea.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2015, 11:56:18 pm »

25% is because it is a licensing deal, not a game sale. While they haven't released info on the rest, a good chunk of the rest goes to the original devs. Makes sense, considering the modders work relies upon their own, uses their own game for marketing via its official steam pages, leverages their audience, requires support (the game crashed; could be a mod, but will take a few hundred dollars of dev time to look into regardless). As for copycats, that's pretty easily dealt with simply through a copyright takedown system. Payment scheduling and such is on Valve's time, and as such should be quite easy to verify. Especially considering the thing isn't exactly new, since you could do the same with games themselves.

As for mods being free, they were always free because of copyright law. As I said, the option was free or cease-and-desist letters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2015, 11:57:44 pm »

No, not really. This is actually kinda scaring me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:00:46 am by Putnam »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2015, 12:10:16 am »

This is actually kinda scaring me.
Ayup.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2015, 12:12:53 am »

25% is because it is a licensing deal, not a game sale. While they haven't released info on the rest, a good chunk of the rest goes to the original devs. Makes sense, considering the modders work relies upon their own, uses their own game for marketing via its official steam pages, leverages their audience, requires support (the game crashed; could be a mod, but will take a few hundred dollars of dev time to look into regardless). As for copycats, that's pretty easily dealt with simply through a copyright takedown system. Payment scheduling and such is on Valve's time, and as such should be quite easy to verify. Especially considering the thing isn't exactly new, since you could do the same with games themselves.

As for mods being free, they were always free because of copyright law. As I said, the option was free or cease-and-desist letters.

It was Bethesda that decided on taking 75%.
Valve just charges their 'standard microtransaction fee'.

I like how this flips 'mods are great for games for all these reasons' to 'modders owe the producers everything for all these reasons'.
Also, support? What? What makes you think there will be a single iota of dev support for mods?

Yeah, free, as they should be.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2015, 12:13:58 am »

I see it for what it is.  Bethesda wants to monetize the mod community, Valve is more than willing to play the gatekeeper, the culture of the mod community will die.

Attempts to splinter off and make old-school mod communities will be met with assaults by the corporate juggernauts. Attempts to create free tools will be shot down with DMCA takedowns.

This is shit. It is brown, and it stinks of greed and hubris. It is of the highest offensiveness.  It is wrapped in a thin layer of PR created by the marketing department. The wrapper claims this is good for modders. The wrapper is a lie.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2015, 12:14:33 am »

Valve's advice for broken payed mods is literally "make a polite comment informing the mod maker of the issue".

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2015, 12:17:52 am »

The wrapper claims this is good for modders. The wrapper is a lie.

And for gamers too!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2015, 12:18:23 am »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:41:22 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2015, 12:19:05 am »

Valve's advice for broken payed mods is literally "make a polite comment informing the mod maker of the issue".
such tech support. v effective. wow.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2015, 12:20:32 am »

Which is what it has always been in the mod community--- A distributor has no control over the creation of the mods. they are just a repository. A point of distribution.

Mod makers want their mods to work and be playable. (at least, good ones do.)  Good toolset makers want their tools to enable modders' creativity, and open doors. (What I wanted with the font editor! I was paid back many times over with the quality offerings from the community. I have been generously reimbursed through a plethora of free font offerings for these games!)

Shit mod makers want to croon about how awesome their work is, and demand money, then say fuck you to players.

Good mod makers say "Hey, check out what I did! You can do this kind of thing too-- just do XYZ that I learned how to do!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 71