Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100828 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #480 on: April 26, 2015, 05:49:04 pm »

There's plenty of room for both professional and hobbyist modders, provided the two communities are appropriately segregated

A paid mod will never be anywhere near the quality of hobbyist mods if the two communities are segregated.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 26, 2015, 05:51:56 pm »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 26, 2015, 05:53:52 pm »

Funny thing is, I've yet to see a single modder speaking out in favor of this except as a way to stop their work being stolen or because they didn't know what it would entail.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 26, 2015, 05:55:42 pm »

Dwarf Fortress no longer exist?

Are you not allowed to be up in the upper forums or what?
Goddamit SourceForge

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 26, 2015, 06:01:52 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:45:55 pm by penguinofhonor »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 26, 2015, 06:05:06 pm »

What it comes down to is trying to introduce regulation and undue monetization in to a hobbyist community. Which is morally incorrect I think.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 26, 2015, 06:05:49 pm »

Segregation is the one thing we want to avoid more then anything else.

Once you start splitting everyone up, further divisions will doubtlessly arise as the payed modders split into classes based on how popular and successful they are. The average payed modder will likely not only make little if any money off of their works, but also have the ire of ever other type of modder for varied reasons: the unpayed would mostly refuse to associate with them, the payed and successful would scorn them for filling the workshop with junk and view them as competition, and the "gamers" would continue to declare them sellouts and persecute them as they do now; they're in between a rock and a hard place.

A house divided against itself cannot stand.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 26, 2015, 06:12:41 pm »

The same could be true for modding. Yes, a lot of modders rely on one another for their work, but that's because it's easy to use another's work when it's available for free. It is still entirely possible to make mods completely independent of others, reinventing wheels as necessary, there's just no incentive to do that now.
Do note that there's actually no way to make mods completely independent from each other, as Skyrim modding community can attest. There will be conflicts due to completely unexplained and arcane reasons no matte what you do. There's only a limited amount of mods that can be on your game before the game starts to break. With free mods, this can be easily dealt with, but with paid mods...
._.

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 26, 2015, 06:14:26 pm »

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So apparently this was planned since 2012
Goddamit SourceForge

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 26, 2015, 06:32:08 pm »

Funny thing is, I've yet to see a single modder speaking out in favor of this except as a way to stop their work being stolen or because they didn't know what it would entail.
I'd think every modder putting a legit non-joke paid mod on Workshop is in favor of this, unless they're masochists.

Segregation is the one thing we want to avoid more then anything else.  <snip>
The Nehirim devs keep themselves separate from the Nexus community. Nexus and LL have largely self-segregated. The English, German, and Japanese communities have a lot of separation. Slof pulled away from Nexus and remained successful. Shezrie and Arthmoor formed their own communities. There's a lot of segregation already in the macro sense, and yet modding thrives. Likewise, there can be segregation between pro and hobbyist communities, which would have the benefit of placing a barrier to entry so that not just any hobbyist can make the transition without first showing an appropriate commitment to the pro modding model.

Dwarf Fortress no longer exist?

Are you not allowed to be up in the upper forums or what?

Leyic is speaking hyperbolically and is implying sarcastically that, by charging cost for games, free projects like Dwarf Fortress would cease to exist.

The implication is that quality content will continue to be created despite the trend of charging for things. I can't agree with this personally, since there's a difference between games and the mods built on the games, but I'm trying to clear this point up for you.
Correct, though I should've clarified I was talking specifically about indie games, which is why I next brought up Greenlight. Games like Cave Story started free, then released paid enhanced editions. Newgrounds, Kongregate, etc. are basically incubators for free games that later go on to released improved editions for a price. How much outrage is there over any of this activity?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 26, 2015, 06:39:20 pm »

I'd think every modder putting a legit non-joke paid mod on Workshop is in favor of this, unless they're masochists.
I'm looking at the workshop right now. The mods fall into five categories: Wet & Cold, mods whose authors make it explicitly clear that they're still distributing for free (i.e. ones trying to avoid theft), mods which are blatant ripoffs of free mods, mods which are obvious jokes or protests, and "mods" akin to that "shadowscale set" that's a shitty hackjob (see Skyrim thread for relevant links) that some incompetent ass made in an afternoon.

I'm guessing you're counting all of the cash grab shitty weapon and armor mods. Those are mods in the same sense that dropping an extra weapon statblock into DF raws is modding, i.e. minimal effort and no appreciable change to anything. Things like that go ignored on the Nexus for good reason. I'd download to give better documentation of how shit they are, but I'm not shelling out dozens of dollars for the mod equivalent of shovelware.

3. Run Resize Enable

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 26, 2015, 06:53:06 pm »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 26, 2015, 06:57:01 pm »

The first one was pretty stupid to say in the first place.
Even some developers of entire games can't make a living off it, so a small mod is going to have no chance.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 26, 2015, 07:04:26 pm »

Still interesting to note how the User Reviews in steam went from high 90s to 86 percent in the course of those few days, and that pretty much the entire first page of "most helpful" user reviews are negative ones due to the paid mods.

I just wonder if they will fall from the blue words to the red of mixed reviews in the near future if they don't reverse their course.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 26, 2015, 07:11:14 pm »

One of the better illustrations of how this hurts modders and the community is SKSE: at least half of the major, important mods for Skyrim are dependent on it, and that team isn't going to see shit despite people profiting on the framework they build.

I also find it rather suspicious that they went for a 75% sale on Skyrim the same weekend that this broke.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 71