Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bringing back deadly carp  (Read 3178 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bringing back deadly carp
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:36:41 pm »

Id like to bring back the deadly carp, but I dont have a clue how.. I tried simply taking the bite attack from a shark but the error log mentioned not having the right BPs and I am not sure if thats even how you would go about it.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing back deadly carp
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:23 am »

The old notoriously deadly carp were from a older combat system.  Nowadays the creature's damage depends not only on the values set for the bite attack but also on the size of the creature, size and material of the body part used for biting, it's physical attributes like strength, etc.  So there's no one specific way anymore to make an attack better.  The simplest (no necessarily best) way would probably be to slap an [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100] into the carp existing bite attack but increase the number to a larger value, 200, 400, 1000, whatever.  Or you could easily make carp stronger, or bigger.

>>  I tried simply taking the bite attack from a shark but the error log mentioned not having the right BPs and I am not sure if thats even how you would go about it.

Yeah, so the shark attack you're using probably bites with its teeth (it would be easier to analyse if you posted the code corresponding to what you actually did), and carp don't have teeth.  So just like the error says, it doesn't have that body part.  You could give carp teeth and then the attack would work, but it won't be as deadly as the shark attack, because the carp would still be small and have small teeth.  Back in the old days it was just "carp do 1d6 damage" simple.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 01:18:03 am »

The old notoriously deadly carp were from a older combat system.  Nowadays the creature's damage depends not only on the values set for the bite attack but also on the size of the creature, size and material of the body part used for biting, it's physical attributes like strength, etc.  So there's no one specific way anymore to make an attack better.  The simplest (no necessarily best) way would probably be to slap an [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100] into the carp existing bite attack but increase the number to a larger value, 200, 400, 1000, whatever.  Or you could easily make carp stronger, or bigger.

>>  I tried simply taking the bite attack from a shark but the error log mentioned not having the right BPs and I am not sure if thats even how you would go about it.

Yeah, so the shark attack you're using probably bites with its teeth (it would be easier to analyse if you posted the code corresponding to what you actually did), and carp don't have teeth.  So just like the error says, it doesn't have that body part.  You could give carp teeth and then the attack would work, but it won't be as deadly as the shark attack, because the carp would still be small and have small teeth.  Back in the old days it was just "carp do 1d6 damage" simple.

I should probably also add likes fighting and large preditor to make them that aggressive again?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:19:11 am »

LIKES_FIGHTING was removed in 0.40.14 and only ever affected the "joy in the slaughter" thought, not behavior.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 05:07:11 am »

In addition, to make the carps actually agressive instead of cowardly/overpassive as nearly everything in DF2014, try to add the [LARGE_PREDATOR] token to it , so it will attack.

But according to the wiki, increase their size to be a bit larger than dwarves, as even with [LARGE_PREDATOR] apparently things will still not attack if prey is not smaller.

A dwarf has (year - day - size)
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]

A carp has
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:4000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:20000]
[BODY_SIZE:5:0:40000]

So make sure to increase the values to get it bigger than adult dwarves so [LARGE_PREDATOR] will actually do something.

I guess [LARGE_PREDATOR] could help too with restoring the deadly elephants too.

I wonder if [CRAZED] (attack everything that is not its own specie) will be helpful too for animals

from my tests [CRAZED] added to the default main creatures (dwarf/human/elf/goblins) makes it for a very fun adventure mode, especially when visiting sites :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:13:19 am by Robsoie »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:16:08 am »

Recipe for 'Ancient Carp': Just take regular carp and add the following tags:

Code: [Select]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:6]
[PERSONALITY:VIOLENT:90:95:100]
[PERSONALITY:BRAVERY:90:95:100]
[BODY:TEETH]

Also, change their bite attack to this:
Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]

They should now be suitably aggressive in behavior, and as dangerous in combat as they were in the olden days.

(Natural discipline and high bravery causes LARGE_PREDATORS to be less picky about attacking creatures bigger than themselves.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:20:46 pm »

Give them prone to rage too while you're at it.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 11:28:39 pm »

Alright people! I think we have done it! we have restored the legend that is the carp, the threat revived and ready to plague the waters yet again.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:35:04 am »

PTW the ensuing madness.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:26:07 pm »

Are there any other old DF memes and legends that have been patched out and need a return?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 07:29:19 pm »

Elephants, giant sponge...

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:10:30 pm »

Elephants, giant sponge...

Elephants should still be in the game right?

Giant Sponge?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 09:27:44 pm »

In earlier versions giant sponge were immune to combat, fire, fall damage and could only be killed by air drowning, being set in obsidian/ice, or having terrain caved in on them.

Elephants got their fame back in the 2D days. They were one of the biggest animals, only the megabeasts bigger (Dwarves size 6, elephants 16, megabeasts 20). They also came in herds of up to seven. If stories are to believed angering one will bring down the wrath of the rest; They would follow dwarves or merchants into your unsealable fort and lay waste.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 08:14:10 am »

Sponges could be at least partially restored using [PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE], which is a token that can be put on a body part to, if I remember correctly, keep the part it is attached to from collapsing.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 12:10:25 am »

For extra fun make a cavern-carp that is amphibious and a bit larger... the terror from the dark depths attacking after you breach the caverns. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2