Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When are the tavern updates coming?  (Read 3016 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When are the tavern updates coming?
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:44:39 am »

Hi!

I'm reading the new stuff that Toady One is writing about on the site and I'm blown away by how good the tavern stuff is coming up. Is there any info on when we can expect an update to come out? Did the game enter another long development cycle and will not be updated for years, or can we expect some updates earlier?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: When are the tavern updates coming?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:07:03 am »

I know that Toady is trying to avoid year long updates, so I would expect it to be out within a few months. But I have no actual idea
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:08:57 am »

Toady is trying to keep to a shorter release cycle for the four development sections he posted on the dev page by cutting them up into more-easily handled chunks (the tavern section being at least to releases), so if things go well, it might be weeks. It might also turn out to be months, of course, but right now it looks like weeks (don't quote me on that).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:24:40 am »

it looks like weeks (don't quote me on that).
Sorry.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:08:46 pm »

I'll take a wild stab and say around August.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 12:14:26 pm »

2 weeks, 3 days, 4 hours, and 25 minutes. Give or take 39.5 minutes.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 01:17:12 pm »

If everything goes well I'd say June or July, Toady seems to be making excellent progress on this release.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 02:25:53 pm »

Well, here's a list of planned features that seemingly haven't been worked on yet:

• Set prices/activities
  • Dwarves perform related jobs, serving and otherwise entertaining guests
  • Recipes/drink quality
  • Games
  • Dwarves can gamble with outsiders
  • Ability to play games directly if a dwarf is involved
  • Rooms rentable to outsiders
  • Fortress's reputation as inn/tavern tracked
  • Tie-ins with fortress justice if things go badly

Games, prices and food/drink stuff are features that he'll possibly skip if he's splitting this release in two. But to complete all the other features listed there, plus writing/library stuff, it's going to take him a few months at least.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 02:45:18 pm »

Well, here's a list of planned features that seemingly haven't been worked on yet:

Of those, Recipes, Games, and by extension dwarves gambling with outsiders and being able to play games directly are confirmed to be stuff that Toady will save for release 2. You did miss the adventure mode portions, though:
  • Update town taverns to the new layout
  • Inns in some towns and on roads, with rooms available for the player
  • Food and drink service for the player and others
  • New fort activities like songs and dancing in adv mode taverns
  • Games to play and player gambling (again, release 2 material)

Still, most of the things remaining on the table for this release shouldn't take too long. Mapwork has traditionally taken a good chunk of time, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 06:32:28 pm »

Of those, Recipes, Games, and by extension dwarves gambling with outsiders and being able to play games directly are confirmed to be stuff that Toady will save for release 2. You did miss the adventure mode portions, though:

Still, most of the things remaining on the table for this release shouldn't take too long. Mapwork has traditionally taken a good chunk of time, though.

That's right, I forgot about adventure mode taverns. There's also adventure mode books and libraries.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:23:01 pm »

That's right, I forgot about adventure mode taverns. There's also adventure mode books and libraries.
Well i'm pretty sure adventurer mode books and libraries are already done. I might have interpreted something wrong though.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:40:56 pm »

Well i'm pretty sure adventurer mode books and libraries are already done. I might have interpreted something wrong though.
Quote from: Toady, 03/30
I'm getting started on festivals now -- world generation libraries are done, busy storing knowledge, hosting scholars and copying books

Yep! Good news, too. I guess I missed that update. Although I'm not enterely sure if having it in world gen is the same as having it in adv. mode. He did say that we won't be able to witness festivals in adv. mode the same way as they are registered in world gen/legends...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:45:08 pm by Ribs »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 12:53:45 am »

Before a couple days ago I would say that it being in world gen does not mean you can find it as an adventurer.

Then I found a town with bodies impaled on wooden spikes/spears.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I'm wondering if other stuff listed in legends shows up in play like the megamegabeast worlds (set beasts of both types to 100k and hope you can get it to gen, Staalo has a thread about it) where instead of the normal "third draconic rampage" with two dragons, you get the Roc rampage in Wereguard where three thousand three hundred and ninetyfour Rocs attack.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:45 am »

Quote from: Toady, 03/30
I'm getting started on festivals now -- world generation libraries are done, busy storing knowledge, hosting scholars and copying books

Yep! Good news, too. I guess I missed that update. Although I'm not enterely sure if having it in world gen is the same as having it in adv. mode. He did say that we won't be able to witness festivals in adv. mode the same way as they are registered in world gen/legends...
It's unfortunately not the same, but I suspect it'll mostly boil down to library layouts and furniture, since books as such already exist.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 06:54:23 pm »

I wouldn't be too optimistic, to be a "shorter" release cycle it only has to be less than two and a bit years technically..
Although I have high hopes for something this year
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness
Pages: [1] 2