Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idling to Rule the Gods  (Read 6916 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idling to Rule the Gods
« on: April 21, 2015, 01:35:41 am »

So since we've had a bunch of threads for idle games lately, here's my favorite of all time: Idling to Rule the Gods.

It's complex, it has lots of math, it has a number of fundamental game concepts that aren't introduced until you've been playing for days or weeks, and there's generally a lot more to it than most idle games.

So give it a try. Ask questions.

Spoiler: playing on chrome (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idling to Rule the Gods
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:42:41 pm »

Well I played it and I think I have had enough of it.

In spite being called "Idling for the gods" there is a surprisingly large amount of stuff you have to do. Even Cookie Clicker eventually let up and Swarm simulator might ask for maybe an hour every two days.

In the end it just ate all my free time and gave nothing back.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:46:23 pm »

In short, it's a standard idle game. :P
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 07:56:22 pm »

I do find it amusing, though, how this one seems to be bending back around to resemble an actual game, what with its RPG stats and coherent uses for your points.

I'm inclined to agree that it's interesting but, yeah, it feels more active-time consuming than usual. Maybe I'm just playing it too neurotically.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:28:09 pm »

Usually in a good one you play for very little and get results something you can check back in on.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:32:44 am »

Still baffles me that "Idle Games" is a genre...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 06:02:13 am »

I got as far as the Baal Trainer before I gave up on ItRtG. Having to play a stupid timing minigame hundreds of times every rebirth is completely contrary to everything the Idle genre stands for  >:(

Also, in your note about playing on Chrome, you should probably mention that the workaround is only going to be valid through September when Chrome takes even that away.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:40:05 pm »

I got as far as the Baal Trainer before I gave up on ItRtG. Having to play a stupid timing minigame
hundreds of times every rebirth is completely contrary to everything the Idle genre stands for  >:(

...or you could simply not do it. Reasonably likely best case, The Baal Slayer minigame only gives in the vicinity of double to triple damage, when the distance between gods is 100x. TBS is intended to be something to give you a little extra boost when you fall short of being able to kill the next god so that you don't have to do an entire rebirth to get that extra little bit. It's not something intended to be done every game.

And if you do want to do it every time, you can invest GP so that you keep up to 80% of your points every rebirth, and only lose levels on 20% of fails.