Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I accidentally launched an elf into an archer tower  (Read 1833 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I accidentally launched an elf into an archer tower
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:17:07 pm »

I raised the bridge while there were several elves on it. 2 of them fell on the trench below, but one of them went right through the fortifications of the tower where my archers were stationed. Archers got rekt by the elf. I guess it was a bug, but it was an awesome one to watch. The tower didn't have any openings.

This happened in .34 Masterwork.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I accidentally launched an elf into an archer tower
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:37:48 pm »

When a creature is flung, either by a bridge or by a skilled wrestler, they become a projectile which can then fly through fortifications sometimes.  Flying creatures can also strike other creatures, which can result in hilarious things involving... small fuzzy critters being thrown by amateurs and getting kill shots.

It's expected behavour.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:17:22 pm »

Thankfully npcs don't make use of this, it's trivial to jump through fortifications as an adventurer.

Gotta use dfhack to jump through the fortifications of a gobby tower from the ground, though, but that is something you can do, now at least.

They ran away, incidentally, guess goblins have [CRASH_PARTY:PUNISH_BY_SHUNNING] somewhere?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:25:32 pm by Max™ »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:40:12 pm »

Sssh!
Don't tell the goblins, otherwise they will bring mechanics with them next time.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 05:03:45 am »

So an airborne creature counts as a projectile and since fortifications allow projectiles to pass through depending on circumstances, the elf managed to get through? That sounds even more funny :D

I gave the invaders a chance by not using traps and having 4 entrance points. They cheated. Now they will face one entrance of doomstack traps.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:11:30 am »

Clearly you must use the next elves as a catapult projectile !

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:52:15 am »

When Toady will go into his improved siege stuff , i really hope he will use that concept of the elven catapult, with elves catapulting themselves into their enemies.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:43:18 am »

When a creature is flung, either by a bridge or by a skilled wrestler, they become a projectile which can then fly through fortifications sometimes.  Flying creatures can also strike other creatures, which can result in hilarious things involving... small fuzzy critters being thrown by amateurs and getting kill shots.

It's expected behavour.

Ah yes, the good old fluffy wambler of death.