Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: X-Com on Forums: Test Version  (Read 21697 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com on Forums: Test Version
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2015, 10:57:53 pm »

I had one of my guys take cover behind a meld canister and a sectopod (the bastards) blew it up by barraging it and the soldier it was standing behind.
Huh. Really? I'll have to remember that one. Every time I've blown a Meld canister by accident, it seems to just collapse into ruins rather than going off explosively. But then, the last Sectopod encounter I had was when I killed the first with combined Acid/Shredder debuffs and 3 MECs with railguns, then dodged a particle cannon shot and finished him off in the next turn.

... Proximity mines may or may not have been involved. ^^
Sectopods are the worst. Each shot does 10 damage average, they get two shorts per turn, free overwatch, 4 bars of health, and 50% damage reduction off EVERYTHING except maybe Rift (last level psionic ability only available to one guy and ethereals). I found that hitting it with a shredder rocket helped a lot in taking them down but I only had the opportunity to use it against one once and never again.

What are proximity mines like? I never got to use one during my playthrough.

Acid debuff? How did you get that?

No flamer? Fire's like the best anti-organic weapon in the game, panicking even Ethereals.
"Flamethrower guy" isn't a class in Long War. There's a MEC class that has a flamethrower though, I think.
The MEC does indeed have a flamethrower. Take my advice and get the upgrade for it as soon as possible. It was AWESOME because I was then able to instakill 3+ mutons/chryssalids at once!

He must have been killed by the Sectopod's barrage attack, not the canister being destroyed.
No one died in that attack and I'm not sure the canister did damage when it was destroyed. I only wanted to say that it's possible to destroy Meld canisters.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:02:23 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2015, 11:17:16 pm »

Proximity mines do about 5-9 damage, as opposed to 3-7 from Grenade Launcher, and this goes up even further with bonuses from certain perks. The only real time I've used them was to foil the path of a Sectopod as it moved into range, thus taking out some of its health and some adjacent seekers that happened to be nearby.

Acid debuffs come from the Acid Grenade. You get this by researching Thin Man Autopsy + New Combat Systems (Foundry project), and then building them individually in Engineering. Acid grenades pop clouds wherever you throw them, and DAMN are they useful! They nullify up to 3 points of enemy DR (damage reduction) in addition to the damage-on-action effect and aim/AoE range penalties, making them indispensable when dealing with Mechtoids, Sectopods, and virtually anything that can otherwise tank shotgun rounds with its face. You can even use them to assist in captures! If I throw it on an organic enemy with only 1 health left, then any hostile action or movement he takes after that is going to kill him -- thus, it counts as a suicidal action, which is treated similarly by the AI as moving into an exposed cover position. So they simply won't do anything, letting you Arc Thrower them at your leisure. And even if they do try to shoot, they die quicker than a Sectoid on half health triggering an Infantry with Opportunist + Covering Fire on Overwatch.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2015, 11:23:16 pm »

The MEC does indeed have a flamethrower. Take my advice and get the upgrade for it as soon as possible. It was AWESOME because I was then able to instakill 3+ mutons/chryssalids at once!
I only own the base game, I don't have Enemy Within.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2015, 02:03:28 am »

And I edited my move to allow Xvareon move.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2015, 03:51:36 am »

Ossum sprites, do you mind if I recolor them to make the rainbow squad give them a bit more distinction closer to the games?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2015, 05:59:50 am »

Proximity mines do about 5-9 damage, as opposed to 3-7 from Grenade Launcher, and this goes up even further with bonuses from certain perks. The only real time I've used them was to foil the path of a Sectopod as it moved into range, thus taking out some of its health and some adjacent seekers that happened to be nearby.

Acid debuffs come from the Acid Grenade. You get this by researching Thin Man Autopsy + New Combat Systems (Foundry project), and then building them individually in Engineering. Acid grenades pop clouds wherever you throw them, and DAMN are they useful! They nullify up to 3 points of enemy DR (damage reduction) in addition to the damage-on-action effect and aim/AoE range penalties, making them indispensable when dealing with Mechtoids, Sectopods, and virtually anything that can otherwise tank shotgun rounds with its face. You can even use them to assist in captures! If I throw it on an organic enemy with only 1 health left, then any hostile action or movement he takes after that is going to kill him -- thus, it counts as a suicidal action, which is treated similarly by the AI as moving into an exposed cover position. So they simply won't do anything, letting you Arc Thrower them at your leisure. And even if they do try to shoot, they die quicker than a Sectoid on half health triggering an Infantry with Opportunist + Covering Fire on Overwatch.
That's using the mod, isn't it? I played vanilla Enemy Within.

I only own the base game, I don't have Enemy Within.
If you want to get Enemy Within for cheap ($50 for an expansion pack wtf and the main game is only $40), look for it on the grey market. I personally recommend g2a, but I won't link to it here because of its dubious legality (not sure if it's dubious, though). I bought Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, Skyrim: Legendary Edition, and XCOM: Enemy Within from the website. The only problem I had was with the receipts which look kinda jumbled but the games play fine. Enemy Within I bought for $15 dollars.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2015, 06:11:11 am »

Any suggestions for Adriana's move?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2015, 06:17:54 am »

First of all, we need to take care of the overwatching one, so we can move around. We could either get Andrea to throw a flashbang or a HE at it, or we could try to shoot B, so the feedback kills C as well.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2015, 06:19:11 am »

I just remembered that Adriana has a smoke grenade if that helps.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2015, 06:20:48 am »

Does overwatch trigger behind low cover? (low cover doesn't break LOS)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2015, 06:23:43 am »

Does overwatch trigger behind low cover? (low cover doesn't break LOS)
You'll get shot at Q15 the instant you even try to move, actually.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:25:36 am by Hawk132 »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2015, 06:24:51 am »

Is sectoid C being boosted by A or B? Or is it one we can't see?
Sigtext!

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2015, 06:26:13 am »

A tried to shoot me, so it's most likely C B, unless there's another one we don't see.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:30:14 am by Hawk132 »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2015, 06:27:33 am »

C is the one being boosted. You meant B?
Sigtext!

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2015, 06:29:52 am »

Yeah, pressed the wrong key by accident.

EDIT: I have a 35% chance of hitting A from where Arthur currently is. Should I try?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:38:57 am by Hawk132 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21