Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: X-Com on Forums: Test Version  (Read 21684 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com on Forums: Test Version
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2015, 05:54:27 pm »

By the way, can we accidentally damage the Meld canister if we try shooting the Sectoid behind it?
The what? Is this a Start Trek crossover or a Master of Magic one?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2015, 06:00:51 pm »

You don't know what Meld is? Did you ever play the expansion to Enemy Unknown? It was called Enemy Within, and introduced Meld as a resource.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2015, 06:03:00 pm »

You don't know what Meld is? Did you ever play the expansion to Enemy Unknown?
I did, it's called Terror from The Deep. But I'm enjoying this D&D you got going too.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2015, 06:09:06 pm »

Xcom: enemy unknown, not UFO: Enemy unknown.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2015, 06:14:45 pm »

Xcom: enemy unknown, not UFO: Enemy unknown.
So, the PlayStation one? Did they have "Melt Canisters"? Can we shoot it to melt the aliens, like in Doom?

Ok, enough jokes that are only funny to me. I did play the new one, but didn't get far and didn't buy the expansion/dlc/whatever it is. I'm assuming Meld is another thing, like Elerium-115, you have to capture on missions and can't make?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:18:48 pm by a1s »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2015, 06:18:32 pm »

Meld in XCOM: Enemy Within is a resource. You can find up to 20 of it per map, more if certain enemies are present. It is used for most of the things in the expansion, mainly converting soldiers into mech troopers, building in upgrading those trooper's mechs, and gene modifications which can range from +5 hit with a height advantage to being able to jump to roofs to invisibility when in full cover and more.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:18 pm »

This is nucom, not oldcom. There, you can stop now.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2015, 06:25:07 pm »

More like PlayStation 3, Android, Xbox 360, iOS, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux and the Mac OS. You ae on the internet, how have you manage to miss the tidal wave that was the reboot(but not really since the old xcoms appear as bad guys so stealth sequel?) of the X-Com series.

And yes you can shoot  the meld to melt aliens, but the meld is a resource so you lose that meld from the loot. And meld is really 'rare'(you need a lot and while you get a lot, it never enough.)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2015, 09:23:25 pm »

Meld canisters do not explode. It's just several gallons worth of nanomachines packed into a dispersal unit -- what's to explode? The only thing is that these canisters will lock down and become inaccessible if we wait too long to recover them. To recover them, a soldier has to stand next to it, then 'activate' it (this does not cost a turn, but you have to have at least a half-move remaining to do it).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2015, 10:20:35 pm »

Here are some new map sprites I made. Try to guess which class each one is!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2015, 10:29:06 pm »

Let's go for 8/8!

Infantry, Rocketeer, Assault, Engineer, Medic, Sniper, Gunner, Scout.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2015, 10:34:44 pm »

You win! \o/ I did a good job! :D

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2015, 10:35:51 pm »

Meld canisters do not explode. It's just several gallons worth of nanomachines packed into a dispersal unit -- what's to explode? The only thing is that these canisters will lock down and become inaccessible if we wait too long to recover them. To recover them, a soldier has to stand next to it, then 'activate' it (this does not cost a turn, but you have to have at least a half-move remaining to do it).
I had one of my guys take cover behind a meld canister and a sectopod (the bastards) blew it up by barraging it and the soldier it was standing behind.

Here are some new map sprites I made. Try to guess which class each one is!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No flamer? Fire's like the best anti-organic weapon in the game, panicking even Ethereals.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2015, 10:46:21 pm »

I had one of my guys take cover behind a meld canister and a sectopod (the bastards) blew it up by barraging it and the soldier it was standing behind.
Huh. Really? I'll have to remember that one. Every time I've blown a Meld canister by accident, it seems to just collapse into ruins rather than going off explosively. But then, the last Sectopod encounter I had was when I killed the first with combined Acid/Shredder debuffs and 3 MECs with railguns, then dodged a particle cannon shot and finished him off in the next turn.

... Proximity mines may or may not have been involved. ^^

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2015, 10:49:57 pm »

No flamer? Fire's like the best anti-organic weapon in the game, panicking even Ethereals.
"Flamethrower guy" isn't a class in Long War. There's a MEC class that has a flamethrower though, I think.

Huh. Really? I'll have to remember that one. Every time I've blown a Meld canister by accident, it seems to just collapse into ruins rather than going off explosively. But then, the last Sectopod encounter I had was when I killed the first with combined Acid/Shredder debuffs and 3 MECs with railguns, then dodged a particle cannon shot and finished him off in the next turn.

... Proximity mines may or may not have been involved. ^^
He must have been killed by the Sectopod's barrage attack, not the canister being destroyed.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21