Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: X-Com on Forums: Test Version  (Read 21654 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com on Forums: Test Version
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2015, 06:04:28 am »

A laser rifle is not using rifle as "has rifling". They are using it as "small arm held in two hands."
Oh, I know what they mean. I'm only being a Grammar Nazi for laughs.

(2) Gyro-stabilized photons (or would that be beams?) would fly neither further, nor straighter than normal ones.
Explain?
Rifling the inside of a firearm's barrel allows you to spin-stabilize the bullet, making it's flight path a lot straighter. Most firearms have had this for the last 150 years (Some firearms, such a shotguns, don't use rifling to this day.) This is, technically, what the name "rifle" refers to. Naturally, lasers don't benefit from rifling, hence the quip.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2015, 09:03:19 am »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2015, 09:09:01 am »

Green lines are low cover and blue full cover, right?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2015, 09:09:34 am »

So, are green sqares light cover and blue squares full cover? Does standing at a corner count as cover? what kind?

final question: can we move through others? (I'm assuming we can't end our turns there)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:30 am »

Whatever cover you are depends on the border of the tile you're in. For example Adriana is standing behind full cover from that side.

Dashed green lines are half cover that you can move through, solid green lines are impassable half cover and blue lines are full cover.

The way cover works is by creating a straight line from the cover you're in. If an attack crosses that line, cover bonuses apply, but if it doesn't you'll be considered as flanked/out of cover.

Keep in mind if you're in full cover you're considered to be able to move to the side to attack.

And yes you can move through allies, but not enemies.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2015, 09:19:04 am »

that fence at Q13 is broken (I can see through it), right?

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2015, 09:28:14 am »

Yes, all half cover lets LoS pass through.

Here's an image that explains cover in detail. It's a big image tho.
Spoiler: The Cover Situation (click to show/hide)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2015, 10:12:44 am »

How often do you expect you will update the positions/movements of soldiers and aliens? I ask because my character is the type who you want to be able to move up freely and throw a grenade if we hit contact too early, so I'm probably going to delay my first action until some people have moved.

EDIT: I almost forgot. We get aim bonuses based on our level of proximity to target, right? Up to +40 or +50 at point blank, meaning a guaranteed hit? Or how does that work for this game?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:21:50 am by Xvareon »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2015, 10:43:36 am »

I will update map as soon as you uncover some aliens.

The range modifier formulas are in the xcom.txt linked in the first posts.

Also here's a test map with LoS indicators colorcoded according to order in unit spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Too colorful?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2015, 10:47:43 am »

Nah, it's good. 10-tile LoS is pretty easy to remember, anyway. Thanks!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2015, 10:53:33 am »

PTW

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2015, 10:54:31 am »

I talked to Gigla and he thinks it's too overload, would you be able to determine your own LoS knowing these things?

-It's 10 tiles long.
-It's determined with a straight line from the center of your position and the center of the target tile. If it crosses a blue border (full cover) the LoS is blocked.
-If you're standing behind a full cover corner LoS is determined as sidestepping (for example Jane's LoS is determined from Q13 as if she sidestepped from Q12).
-Enemies also sidestep from full cover, if you have LoS to their sidestep position the you can fire on them.

Also Gigla suggested me that I put your acceptable targets in the units spoiler so you know who you can shoot. Same as in regular XCOM, a red target means it's covered and a yellow one is flanked/out of cover.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:58:26 am by Solymr »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2015, 11:24:49 am »

I talked to Gigla and he thinks it's too overload, would you be able to determine your own LoS knowing these things?
Easily. I could even do this in Paint by copy/pasting a picture of the map, then using the straight-line feature to go from the center of my tile to that of another tile. I have good instinct about this sort of thing, anyway, having played X-COM: Enemy Unknown/Within + Long War for over a year. (No, seriously, I started playing it in the first place with the Long War mod. I can't imagine doing it any other way.)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2015, 12:10:25 pm »

Notes on formatting:

*Bolded names have 2 actions left.
*Italicized names have 1 action left.
*HP is in blue and ammo is in red. Your active weapon is bolded.
*Your available targets will be shown BELOW your name in the unit spoiler if applicable.

Also very important: if at the top of the map it says "Map Update", it's not a new turn, so check if you already moved or not in the unit spoiler. I'm noting this because I had problems with this thing in my other game :V

Also also half-moves are perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:29:43 pm by Solymr »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2015, 01:00:40 pm »

Adriana is actually on Overwatch, so she shouldn't be marked as having a half-move left.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21