Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Endless Era - The Adventures of a Warrior and his Bear  (Read 8029 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Endless Era - The Adventures of a Warrior and his Bear
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:11:25 pm »

This world has seen countless unifying factions from tyrannical dictatorships to Empires where the common citizens viewed their Ruler as the rightful ruler of everything under the Heavens, and a true God descended to the earth. However this era has none of those world unifying nations, and instead plays host to dozens if not hundreds of far lesser nations who struggle for power through whatever means they can devise upon the layered corpses of these ancient nations. While the remnants of these long gone kingdoms are not always clear there are places where the ancient knowledge, weaponry, and wealth of those fallen titans can be found that have come to be called Dungeons to the common people. These Dungeons are mystical works crafted through some ancient magic, or formed by some extremely powerful magical being who took to hoarding away lost treasures and guarding them with lesser servants. Though nation's claim these Dungeons as their own, and continuously wage war over every instance of a Dungeon appearing in or near their borders there is an organization that is seen as independent from all kingdoms and is generally allowed access to those Dungeons claimed by kingdoms.

This group was founded under the name of the Dungeon Exploration, and Exploitation Foundation, but swiftly came to earn the a title among the general populace as the Adventurer's Guild. Of course the Dungeon Exploration, and Exploitation Foundation is not just an organization made up of like minded folk scouring Dungeons as they also accept quests from kingdoms and individuals that their members can undertake in the hopes of a reward. That is the very reason that you've came to the Free City of Nuenberg, you left your home town to join the Adventurer's Guild in the hopes of achieving something on the scale of all those great Adventurers you'd heard of in fairy tales. Without hesitation you walk into the Adventurer's Guild Chapter House, and head for the reception desk where a young male elf sits writing away on a small pile of papers surrounding him.

When you get close the elf looks up at you, and asks,

"Another rookie here to join the Guild? Alright give me a moment to get the Status Stone, once you've been tested by it I'll hand you your Adventurer Card and you can get started however you want. Please, wait one moment."

With that the elf turns, and disappears through a door behind the counter. You wait a few minutes before the man comes back out with a pale white stone about the size of a man's head under one arm, and strange metal pedestal with crystals embedded in it and an empty slot at the side. The elf unceremoniously dumps the pedestal onto the counter, and places the white stone upon it before speaking,

"Alright just place your hands on the Status Stone, and wait while it produces your card. You'll see the information appear in front of you while its imprinting to the card, so don't be surprised when words start hovering in the air in front of you."

Doing as he says the place your palms onto the stone, and feel a very slight shock followed by words beginning to appear in front of you.

The first thing you see is your name, it is ...

Next the world class appears, and unsurprisingly you find you are ...
  • A Fighter: You have a knack for combat, and are easily able to adapt to a changing battlefield.
                        - Choose any one of the following (Swords I, Greatswords I, Spears I, Axes I, or Maces I)
                        - Choose Shields I or Parry I
                        - Gain Armor Use I
                        - Gain Leather Curiass , Leather Vambraces, and Leather Greave
                        - Gain a Weapon appropriate to your chosen skill.
  • A Hunter: You're an expert at conventional ranged combat, and prefer either a bow or crossbow which you use to great success hunting your desired prey.
                       - Choose Bows I or Crossbows I
                       - Gain Sure Strike I or Combat Instinct I
                       - Gain Sense Danger
                       - Gain Leather Curiass
                       - Gain a Weapon, and 20 ammo appropriate to your chosen skill.
  • A Thief: Thieves aren't always bad, like you some are simply called that because they excel at being stealthy, and act as scouts or trap finders in Dungeons.
                       - Gain Daggers I or Swords I
                       - Gain Precision Strikes I or Parry I
                       - Gain Stealthy I
                       - Gain a Weapon appropriate for your skill
                       - Gain a Pouch (Can hold three items)
                       - Gain a Lockpick
  • A Magician: You're a magic user, one of those semi-rare people who can manipulate mana and use it to perform magic that surpasses the possibilities of normal people.
                       - Gain Staves I
                       - Gain three of the following spells: Firebolt I, Water Bullet I, Spike I, Wind Blade I, Cure I, or Magic Missile I
                       - Gain Incantations I
                       - Gain a Staff
                       - Gain Pouch (Can hold three items)
                       - Gain two Diluted Mana Potions
  • A Monk: You are an aspirant to the way of fighting that allows one to be both as agile as the wind, and as immobile as a mountain.
                       - Gain Unarmed I or Staves I
                       - Gain Lightning Reflexes I or Sure Strikes I
                       - Gain Open Palm Strike I
                       - Gain weapon if appropriate for your weapon skill.
                       - Gain two Diluted Health Potions

After that a number of words appear, and values are arranged next to them with some meaning that seems to escape you at the moment. They are ...

Distribute 30 points among the following, each of these attributes starts at 10:
  • Strength: This represents how deadly you are with melee weapons, how many items you can carry, and lifts some restrictions on the gear you can use.
  • Dexterity: This is a measure of your overall agility, and grace. It determines how lethal you are with ranged weapons, how easily you can hit your opponent, how hard it is to hit you, and more.
  • Endurance: Is a measure of how outright hard you are to kill. Those with more endurance are more immune to poisons, heat, and cold. They are also known to get less tired through battle.
  • Intelligence: Is a gauge of your general intellect, and has an effect on the power of your magic as well as the spells you can learn. It also seems to have an effect on how fast a person's mana regenerates, and the rate at which they can learn new skills.
  • Wisdom: This represents the level of wisdom one has reached, and helps to determine how much mana a person has as well as how much their mana pool grows. Wise people also are more resistant to mind altering effects, and seem to gain experience faster.
  • Charisma: Is a cumulative representation of not only one's general looks, but their skill with words, or ability to convince another person. People with higher charisma tend to have an easier time buying things at a lower price, and selling others at a higher price. Not only that more people seem ready to follow more charismatic people
  • Luck: This is a measure of one's good luck. The higher this is the more likely they are to hit an enemy at a vital location and deal massive damage. Not only that they are better able to get rare items, or numerous items from chests and monsters. On top of that people seem to gain experience faster the luckier a person is.

Finally a strange set of brilliant white words appears in the air with that says 'Blessings from the Gods'. Below them you find ...

You have five points to spend on these, if an ability has multiple ranks you must pay the price for both to get it:

Reduced XP to Next Level
  • Rank I: Need half of the standard XP to level up (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
  • Rank II: Need a fourth of the standard XP to level up (Costs 2 Bonus Points)
  • Rank III: Need a sixth of the standard XP to level up (Costs 3 Bonus Point)
Increased XP Gain
  • Rank I: Gain 2x XP from everything. (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
  • Rank II: Gain 4x XP from everything. (Costs 2 Bonus Point)
  • Rank III: Gain 6x XP from everything. (Costs 3 Bonus Point)
Increased Loot Drop Rate
  • Rank I: Increases loot drop rate by 10% (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
  • Rank II: Increases loot drop rate by 20% (Costs 2 bonus point)
  • Rank III: Increases loot drop rate by 30% (Costs 3 bonus point)
Mana Regen
  • Mana Regen I: +5 Mana Regen per Round (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
  • Mana Regen II: +10 Mana Regen per Round (Costs 2 Bonus Points)
  • Mana Regen III: +20 Mana Regen per Round (Costs 3 Bonus Points
Stamina Regen
  • Stamina Regen I: +5 Stamina Regen per Round (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
  • Stamina Regen II: +10 Stamina Regen per Round (Costs 2 Bonus Points)
  • Stamina Regen III: +20 Stamina Regen per Round (Costs 3 Bonus Points
Bonus Equipment: Can be purchased multiple times. Purchase up the desired rank, and then choose the desired type of gear: Any previously listed weapon type, Ring, Neck, Head, Chest, Arms, Legs, or Feet.
  • Bonus Equipment I: Chosen Equipment has one effect, and is a basic item. (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
  • Bonus Equipment II: Chosen Equipment has two effects, and is a common item. (Costs 2 Bonus points)
  • Bonus Equipment III: Chosen Equipment has two effects, and is an uncommon item. (Costs 3 Bonus Points)
Bonus Attribute Points: You gain five extra attribute points to distribute freely. (Costs 1 Bonus Point for every five attribute points)
Animal Companion: Choose either a wolf, hawk, or bear (Costs 2 Bonus Points)
Fire Resistance: +25% Resistance to Fire/Heat (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
Cold Resistance: +25% Resistance to Cold (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
Wind Resistance: +25% Resistance to Wind (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
Light Resistance: +25 % Resistance to Light (Costs 2 Bonus Points)
Darkness Resistance: +25% Resistance to Darkness (Costs 2 Bonus Points)
Poison Resistance: +25% Resistance to Poison (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
Appraisal: Allows you to appraise items. (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
Scan: Allows you to gain in-depth knowledge of enemies you can see. (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
Trap Sense: Allows you to sense traps, better than Trap Detect (Costs 1 Bonus Point)
Character Reset: Allows a Character Reset (Costs 1 Bonus Point)

Hey everyone, thanks for those of you who actually read to this point, and sorry for the massive wall of text above, but I had a sudden flash of inspiration a few days ago which I've spent coming up with this system and setting for it. This game will be both a method to test the game, and an attempt to see if I can create an enjoyable game with it, and the setting its based in.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:05:47 pm by adwarf »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Era
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:24:35 pm »

Name: Derek Jameson
Class: Monk (Unarmed, Sure Strikes 1)

Strength: 15
Dexterity: 15
Endurance: 10
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 20
Charisma: 10
Luck: 20

Reduced XP to Next Level Rank 1
Increased XP Gain Rank 2
Trap Sense
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:14 pm »

Yo gimme a minuite

Edit: How are you supposed to get rank three anything bonus point wise?

Katama Ree
Magician
Fire Bolt, Wind Blade, Cure.

Str   10
Dex  10
End  10
Int    20
Wis  20
Cha  10
Luck  20

Reduced XP to next level 2
Increased XP gain 1
Loot 1
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:45:06 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:24 pm »

I'm good with any character as long as they have at least 1 rank in loot, preferably 2 or 3.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:38:24 pm »

Name: Jacob Worsley
Class: Magician (Cure I, Magic Missile I, Spike I)

Strength: 10
Dexterity: 10
Endurance: 10
Intelligence: 20
Wisdom: 20
Charisma: 15
Luck: 15

Reduced XP to Next Level Rank 1
Increased XP Gain Rank 1
Mana Regen II

I assume this is an RPG and not a Suggestion Game. Correct me if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:43:21 pm by Gamedragon »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:41:25 pm »

Reduced XP to Next Level Rank 2
Increased XP Gain Rank 2
Mana Regen I
if an ability has multiple ranks you must pay the price for both to get it:
You have to pay for the first rank to get the second.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 09:41:36 pm »

I was rather hoping I was the only one going for the Shit-Tons of XP thing.

Also I can't get rank three anything :(
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 09:42:44 pm »

It is a suggestion game.

Reduced XP to Next Level Rank 2
Increased XP Gain Rank 2
Mana Regen I
Also this isn't possible, the first rank of a costs 1 bonus point, and then the second one costs another 2 bonus points. The character could have one of the Rank II bonuses, but not two of them.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 10:07:42 pm »

OKAY YEAH I GOT IT.

Revised sheet:

Katama Ree
Magician
Fire Bolt, Wind Blade, Cure.

Str   10
Dex  10
End  10
Int    20
Wis  20
Cha  10
Luck  20

Character Reset

Reduced EXP 2
More exp 1

(Psst: Vote for me)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:14:14 pm by Dermonster »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:19:03 pm »

In.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 10:20:38 pm »

NOT AN RTD, ONLY ONE CHARACTER.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 10:24:42 pm »

Hey, man, I say "in" to anything that looks like multiplayer and catches my interest since I might not have time or someone else takes my place while I'm writing my sheet. It's necessary. Also, not all forum games here are singleplayer.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 10:27:18 pm »

Hey, man, I say "in" to anything that looks like multiplayer and catches my interest since I might not have time or someone else takes my place while I'm writing my sheet. It's necessary. Also, not all forum games here are singleplayer.
Yes, but ...

It is a suggestion game.
This was two posts above yours.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 10:29:09 pm »

I don't read other peoples' posts either. I lost out because I took the time to read others' posts since they were short and I thought I'd be fine.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 10:33:05 pm »

I don't read other peoples' posts either. I lost out because I took the time to read others' posts since they were short and I thought I'd be fine.
ಠ_ಠ
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6