Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I'm gonna make a calculator!  (Read 4020 times)

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm gonna make a calculator!
« on: November 26, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »

In a previous thread, the issue of expanding mechanics to include float/heat detectors, switches that are activated independently of dwarves when they meet certain numerical conditions (a 'branch' increases or decreases the number of the 'register', which will perform all of the actions that a lever can once it meets a set number, whenever one of the levers or detectors the branch is connected to are set off), and many other things. In that thread, calculator making came up.

The idea was that you could make a calculator using some of these new mechanics. However, after examining every feature in DF right now, I have decide I can make one using levers to input the numbers and channels to dispay the answer, with floodgates doing the math.

But, I can't do this on my own, I'm gonna need some advice.

What do I change in the raw files to make indestructable, emotionless dwarves that never tire, eat, or drink and work at an unholy pace?

he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm gonna make a calculator!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »

add the line:
code:
[SPEED:1]

to their file. That would be a good start.
code:
[FIREBREATH]

could be rather funny too...

but for real power, go with

code:
   [NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION][RECKLESS]
[NOSTUCKINS][NOEXERT]

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »

There's also a [DAMBLOCK:1] or something similar. Dwarves have it by standard. Um. Set the number to 50 or more and they'll pretty much be invincible.

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 03:48:00 pm »

Thanks, I'll start on the plan right now.
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 04:18:00 pm »

I'll start off with just addition, because each operation will need its own set of floodgates and channels doing the calculation.

code:

L L L L L L
L L L L L L
L L L L L L
L L L L L L
L L L L L L
L L L L L L
L L L L L L
L L L L L L
L L L L L L
L L L L L L

That'll be the set up for the two input rooms. Each collumn is a digit, the top lever being 0 and the bottom lever being 9. It can take up to 6 digits, so the output room will need 7 digits of display assuming the maximum addition of 9,999,999 + 9,999,999 is done.

code:

L L L L
+ - * /

That'll be the operation room. The calculations will start when a dwarf pulls an operation lever. Like I said, each operation needs its own massive calculation room, so I'll start with addition, because it's the easiest, and the others will be put in later. When I put subtraction in, I'll add in negative numbers.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 04:47:00 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about, but hey, it sure sounds cool! Good luck, and be sure to post screenshots when you're done.  :)

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 05:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>I have no idea what you're talking about, but hey, it sure sounds cool! Good luck, and be sure to post screenshots when you're done.   :)</STRONG>

If you can't understand me, I've done my job  :D .

Does anyone have a fort with farms set up that I can use? It'll set me forward by days if anyone can give me a save.

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »

In order to get your invinci-dwarves of unholy speed you'll have to generate a new world. Old saves won't help you, they'll all have the old cripple-dorfs.

If you add the firebreath tag be sure to look in the dragon stats and snag the super fire immuity.

There is no such thing as friendly fire.

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 05:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Telok:
<STRONG>In order to get your invinci-dwarves of unholy speed you'll have to generate a new world. Old saves won't help you, they'll all have the old cripple-dorfs.

If you add the firebreath tag be sure to look in the dragon stats and snag the super fire immuity.

There is no such thing as friendly fire.</STRONG>

The world I started in before I asked for a save was generated with normal dwarves, but I was making a new fortress. I didn't think the world variables were attatched to the world or the fort.
Toady?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 06:39:00 pm »

If you change the raws for a given creature, the changes will be reflected immediately in all saves that have that creature.  Be careful about changing the actual bodies, as the game might become confused.  If you add new creatures (or anything else), they won't be included in old saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 06:47:00 pm »

So if i decided to give my dwarves 8 trunks, any old ones will think theyre missing the trunks and be forever flashing red '+'s?

Im quite curious to see how you are going to do this... I would have gone for binary representation rather than decimal, but im still not sure how to do the gates.

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »

I'm going to make the numbers translate into bianary and then back, using different lengths of water in channels to represent them. I still haven't found a way to describe what I'm going to do...

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 06:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>If you change the raws for a given creature, the changes will be reflected immediately in all saves that have that creature.  Be careful about changing the actual bodies, as the game might become confused.  If you add new creatures (or anything else), they won't be included in old saves.</STRONG>

*bows to the all-seeing Toady*
Thanks, so I'll repeat my question, does anyone have a self-sufficient fort I can use?

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 09:21:00 pm »

Like someone above said, use binary representation instead of decimal, you'll save a lot of headache. Plus you can just look at a binary clock and cheat.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 12:55:00 am »

Wouldn't it make more sense to give the dwarves a tag that makes them not need to eat? Is there such a tag yet? I guess since animals don't need to eat it might not be implemented yet, huh...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4