Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: Olsha Rossalina, Minotaur Monk Gladiator - Round 3: Down but not out  (Read 26157 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually I am thinking about doing different type of fighting this time... We are getting boring for the crowd with our constant leeching.

How about going death machine route with:

T4: Wolf Soul : (+2 to Strength and Speed for 2 rounds per 6 MP) for 4 rounds (12 MP)
+ T5: UNSTOPPABLE RAGE! (+3 to Strength/Speed; +5 Endurance, -6 Intelligence for 6 MP)

Then go kill-kill-kill mode earning respect from the crowd

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

Actually I am thinking about doing different type of fighting this time... We are getting boring for the crowd with our constant leeching.

How about going death machine route with:

T4: Wolf Soul : (+2 to Strength and Speed for 2 rounds per 6 MP) for 4 rounds (12 MP)
+ T5: UNSTOPPABLE RAGE! (+3 to Strength/Speed; +5 Endurance, -6 Intelligence for 6 MP)

Then go kill-kill-kill mode earning respect from the crowd

That is suicide. We are unlikely to beat the Vampire if it has access to planning and magic and we do not.

...Unless

Lets call out to the Vampire. "Come! Call upon your frenzy and I upon my rage! Let us demolish these puny ones as one, and then duel with wrath and honor!"

Assuming Frenzy works like our Rage and chips away at his intelligence, we have a solid chance of survival. In theory, he loses most of the benefits of both his mage levels and his priest level, while all of our classes have at least some utility in mindless rage mode.

[while raging]your powers are more violent and less controlled, etc.

We might be okay to use Wolf Soul and other buffs while raging. It would be a risk though. We could save activating our buffs until just before the Vampire this way, so we can be sure that they are still active while we fight him.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lets call out to the Vampire. "Come! Call upon your frenzy and I upon my rage! Let us demolish these puny ones as one, and then duel with wrath and honor!"
Not gonna work. He is on the other side of arena with sounds of battler and crowd he will never hear it

That is suicide. We are unlikely to beat the Vampire if it has access to planning and magic and we do not.
who needs planning and magic when we can gore+charge him while he is occupied?

We could save activating our buffs until just before the Vampire this way, so we can be sure that they are still active while we fight him.
You are somehow assuming that we will fight vampire only after the rest are dead. I prefer to attack him at the first opportunity. With our armor and convicts killing\wounding each other they are minor problem, Vampire is a major problem

I don't care if he is Mingan's follower because Mingan is not a major god for us and it is not like we have a choice but killing him. (YES, hoping that mere convicts will kill him for us is a wishfull thinking)

My main concern is that this guy has way too much mana and I prefer to leach it away, reducing number of spells he can cast...

Alternative is just switching to melee mode and fighting fighter vs caster duel. After all we look noticeably better in melee than him because of his 7 levels, 3 are "casterish"

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

Not gonna work. He is on the other side of arena with sounds of battler and crowd he will never hear it

who needs planning and magic when we can gore+charge him while he is occupied?

We could save activating our buffs until just before the Vampire this way, so we can be sure that they are still active while we fight him.
You are somehow assuming that we will fight vampire only after the rest are dead. I prefer to attack him at the first opportunity. With our armor and convicts killing\wounding each other they are minor problem, Vampire is a major problem

I don't care if he is Mingan's follower because Mingan is not a major god for us and it is not like we have a choice but killing him. (YES, hoping that mere convicts will kill him for us is a wishfull thinking)

My main concern is that this guy has way too much mana and I prefer to leach it away, reducing number of spells he can cast...

Alternative is just switching to melee mode and fighting fighter vs caster duel. After all we look noticeably better in melee than him because of his 7 levels, 3 are "casterish"

Alright. How about this: Charge attack on a singular enemy who is between us and the vampire. We can't just suspiciously walk up to the vampire, start leeching, and hope to get the drop on him. Lets start working our way over, and and see what opportunities develop. I don't feel our god of honor will particularly like us sneak attacking a likely servant of an allied god, but if we do it right, it is our best chance for survival.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

GM hat: You perceive that there are sound-repeating affects going on, partially due to the horns pointed at the audience from overhead, and also from certain echoes and the sense of a power you can almost hear like a ring in your ears. This doesn't take any time, you just happen to notice due to good perception and perspective.

Player hat: There are still nineteen convicts left, including those with levels in Soldier. Rage lasts about ten rounds. Assuming both you and the vampire each kill one per round, which is possible but unlikely, you'll come out of rage two rounds after it starts up in response to you. If the PA system can be used, then the "putting on a show" might be an option, but we don't know how long the Vampire frenzies for and it'd be bad to run out of steam right when it's in the middle.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, lets starts simple, we can switch to fancy plans after we see the vampire in combat

Death Leach a likely leader of the "cowards" group. Be ready to kick anybody who approaches us while using shortsword for parrying. If no one approaches, use this time to study the battlefield better

Death leach is the only ranged attack we have even if it is a bit expensive in MP. Later in fight we should consider doing regular leeches to get MP back.

Kicking looks superior to the sword because damage and skill are higher

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

Death Leach a likely leader of the "cowards" group. Be ready to kick anybody who approaches us while using shortsword for parrying. If no one approaches, use this time to study the battlefield better

+1. Lets let the situation play out a bit before forming a real plan.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

You look at the group and hold a hand at them for show, probing and watching to see which of them has the air of command. After locating him and tying the energies from your aura to his, you thrust out the point of your sword at him and send forth the energy through the ties (-8 MP), deliberately manifesting it to be visible as solid black fog. He cuts at it as though it could possibly do anything; although the fog pauses for a second, it nonetheless strikes him dead-center and you reclaim some of the energy from him before your Leech fades. (14 Death damage, +4 MP)

You ready a defense, although nobody seems particularly keen to take you up at the moment, and peer around the arena. You'll have good traction here for a charge downhill and a recovery uphill, although people seem to be avoiding the center of the bowl. As far as you can tell, the crowd seems focused on the fights, although a few appear to be pointing at you and speaking to their neighbors.

The vampire pauses before a fight, then lashes out with the whip at the thugs. Surprisingly, the one whose back was turned intercepts the whip with his club and pulls the vampire off-balance enough for the other thug to attack with his sword. Although the stroke he delivers is vicious, it appears to slow down abruptly as it draws near, allowing the vampire to dodge with only a light cut to the side of the scalp. (3 Slashing damage) The vampire gets to its feet and slides into a powerful punch towards the Swordsthug, who seems to dodge perfectly before the vampire casually spins and sweeps him off his feet. The Clubthug saves his apparent ally by knocking the vampire away through force, although it doesn't actually appear to hurt the vampire at all.

The Sea Elf wastes no time in charging at a Spearconvict and engaging him, cutting him several times on the arms before grabbing the spear and attempting to turn the point into the Convict's throat. It misses, barely, and the Convict's attempt to punch the Sea Elf in the face is met with a quick kick to the shins and a retreat, carrying both weapons.

Experiment with colors.

You, L6 Minotaur: 39/39 HP 20/24 MP
Coward Soldier Group Leader: Moderately Wounded
Coward Soldiers 1-6: Healthy
Fight 1: Lightly Wounded Clubthug and Lightly Wounded Prone Swordthug v Khünbish, L7 Vampire Martial Artist Bloodmage: Lightly Wounded, 42?? HP / 29?? MP
Fight 2: Seriously Wounded, Disarmed, Bleeding, Concussed v Healthy
Fight 4: Moderately Wounded, Concussed v Lightly Wounded
Fight 5: Moderately Wounded, !!ON FIRE!! and Healthy vs Lightly Wounded
Fight 6: Sea Elf Sailor 3/Brawler ?? (30?? HP /16?? MP), Healthy v Spearconvict 1, Lightly Wounded, Bleeding, Disarmed
Wary Convict 2 (Club) Healthy

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:42:32 pm by Ross Vernal »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

((29/24 mana? YAY!))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

((29/24 mana? YAY!))

It initially said 290, which would be hilariously fatal.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[jokeaction]Cast DEATH WAVE using 270 mana, kill everybody in the arena but us. [/jokeaction]

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

Throw a double serving of regular leeches at the leader of the cowards, lets restore our MP and try to kill him via MP death! Make it nice and dramatic!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Throw a double serving of regular leeches at the leader of the cowards, lets restore our MP and try to kill him via MP death! Make it nice and dramatic!
+1, scare the cowards into the vampire!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 This, I like. It may make us seem more dangerous, but that is still better than leaving those cowards alone.

Actually, a question that has been bothering me for a bit - is this a "Last One Standing" kind of fight? Judging from the convicts battling each other, it certainly seems to be, but if it was ever clearly stated, I seem to have missed it.

Either way, judging from the spheres the Vampire might or should belong to Mingan, who previously was still on the fence about us. If we get on his bad side, we could possibly face the full wrath of the darker god's spectrum, whereas the reverse may even shield us from them, unless we provoke them. Not that we are important enough yet to warrant such cautions, but still food for thought. What I'm getting at, we might not want to face said undead with underhanded tactics.

"Experiment with Colours"
Lightly Wounded is not really readable on the light forum scheme, but else it gives a quick and dirty take on such bigger fights.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

Our odds of beating him fairly are low... at best. I'd rather piss off one god we may or may not work with than die. Right now, I think the plan is to wait for the Vampire to cast a spell or two, and then start leeching him. The regular leech spell dosn't mention death magic, so we could kill him by soulbreak, or render him unable to cast if he is immune to that.

Although I do have a few interesting ideas on how to survive if we are stuck in a fair fight.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24