Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: Olsha Rossalina, Minotaur Monk Gladiator - Round 3: Down but not out  (Read 26118 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

You decide to use your powers early to establish the advantage. Keeping your distance, you channel energy into your hands, and suddenly perceive a lesson from the Liagoran monks: you cannot push without pulling. Instead of using the two separately, you unite the energies together into a single auric effect and let fly at the Elf (-8 MP), not bothering with a gesture. He doesn't seem to notice, at first, but then you notice that the veins on his leg are darkening and sweat breaking out on his forehead (7 Death damage). You, of course, immediately feel some of the energy spent pushing Death into him pulling back into you (+5 MP), and make a note to yourself to return to the Temple to demonstrate your understanding. (Monk 2: +1 HP/+2MP)

Your feeling of elation dies down when the Elf cuts his leg off just above the knee and the sand covering the floor rushes up to form a new leg, which quickly turns red and solidifies (-5 MP).

"You'll have to do better than that."

The crowd cheers in response to his taunt.

Enemy: Level 6 Wood Elf, Lightly Wounded (28? HP / 17? MP, 3 AP)
You: Level 5 Minotaur, 38 HP, 15/23 MP, 2 AP)

As an Average-rank monk, you now have some spell variety available to you. Aside from the fifth-tier Death Leech ability you developed with the 15, you get an additional fourth and third (high average and low average), and two or three first and second level (minor or lesser powers). Basically:

Tier 0: 1 HP / 3MP
Tier 1: 2 HP / 1 MP
Tier 2: 4 HP / 3 MP
Tier 3: 8 HP / 6 MP
Tier 4: 12 HP / 6 MP

Projective: Projective abilities consist of evocation, creation, transportation, and necromantic abilites.
Reflective: Reflective abilities consist of transmutation, illusion, and abjuration.
Intuitive: Intuitive abilities consist of divination, conjuration, healing, and enchantment.

I'm also going to limit it to the domains of Liagora because , you know, plot. I'm going to suggest a few, but you're welcome to be creative!

T3 Buff: Strengthen
+2 Strength for 2 rounds, 6 MP. Increase the efficiency of your strength by shifting and aligning your aura to enhance your physical abilities.

T1 Utility: Exchange
2 HP into 1 MP / 2 MP into 1 HP. All matter is energy.

T2 Buff: Insight
3 MP per round, adds +1 to a single action against a single opponent per round, up to +5. Study your opponent; learn their patterns.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile

That elf is fucking OP.

Suggestions for spells, in accordance to Liagora:

Tier 4: Wolf-form. Take on the speed and strength of a wolf.
Tier 3: Vengeance. Cast a spell on a wound we just got and reflect it back to our attacker, meanwhile suffering 2 HP.
Tier 2: That Insight spell you suggested sounds good.
Tier 2: Meditate. Regain 1 MP. Can't attack or retaliate to attacks.
Tier 1: I don't know.

I'm pretty sure they need balancing but yeah. More crippling magics would be good, too. Can we improve a spell in place of getting a new one?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

You can, yes.

He's clearly got money banked for his injuries. xD It also implies what sort of Earth elementalist he is; given that you as a L1 Monk had two powers, you can be reasonably sure that half of his power set is defensive in nature and that he has spent effort on this specific ability.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What honor domain means?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

...good question.

I'd say in this case, you can gain favor with Liagora and her allies more quickly as a passive ability.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Two tier one ideas:

"Horns of steel" - increases damage from gore attacks

"Fear me, prey" - causes fear in mind of animals as they face a servant of the Huntress

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

All of these sound good so far!

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, can we do the Leech death thing on his head?
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Yes, you can try to get him in the head.

Damage isn't fixed, per se. If you cut someone's throat with a knife, they aren't going to take d3 damage, they're on "Save versus death" damage. What does 7 HP to the leg might do a LOT more to the head; it might also do less. (Probably not, but it's possible!)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:49:30 pm by Ross Vernal »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

action suggestion, cast leach on his pelvis. Then charge attack.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, cast Leech on his sword arm, then swordtaur!
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, cast Leech on his sword arm, then swordtaur!
+1
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be honest I don't like the idea of fencing with a trained duelist even if we will succeed in knocking one of his weapons arms

New spell ideas

Feel my anger Sends a target in uncontrollable rage, as a side effect does the same to the caster.

Inspire Inspire your allies to fight better
(for future group battles)

Bone weapon Transmute bodies of fallen foes in weapons or armor.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

(I'm going to try to fit as many of the effects as possible. Some of them are going to be Tier 0, fair warning, but others might count as an offshoot of an existing ability / can be merged into a single ability.

Creativity is highly encouraged, both in level and in live combat. If you want to try to transform Death Leech into Toxic Leech, you are welcome to try. If you decide that Focused Attack could be used as Elemental Attack, give it a shot. "Spells" are basically "familiar effects", so in theory, if it's related to an ability, you have a chance to do it. Don't take it working for granted, and understand that it WILL increase the difficulty of what you are trying, but it should give you more tactical flexibility.

Last bit -  on experience.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BTW
You: Level 5 Minotaur, 38 HP, 15/23 MP, 2 AP

shouldn't it be 23-8(spell cost)+5 (leech) = 20 MP?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24