Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Royal Ordnance - Story of a War Factory  (Read 15623 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Ordnance - Story of a War Factory
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 05:57:46 pm »

Yeah, we have radar, although I don't know if it's plane sized, and it's definitely not small enough for a fighter to carry it.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 06:02:05 pm »

Yeah, we have radar, although I don't know if it's plane sized, and it's definitely not small enough for a fighter to carry it.

Well, believe it or not, radar during wwII was able to be carried aloft-just not by fighters. converted bombers with a whole big mess of radar equipment inside were employed for ASW and early-warning duties, so if we can get radar at least that small we can create an early AWACS.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:17:44 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 06:09:14 pm »

Yeah, I know about the SNAFU that was ww2 in-flight radar. Night fighting with TBF Avengers, the like. I mean, it was creative, ingenious even, but it didn't work very well. That's why I made the distinction between plane-sized and fighter-sized.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 06:18:11 pm »

reposting cause of ninja:

Wait What?! I looked over the list again, and unless I'm just not seeing it we have no aircraft carriers! We cannot call ourselves a naval power without them!

7:Immortal Class Aircraft Carrier: this ship should have a double-deck hanger capable of housing 50-70 of our current smaller aircraft depending on design, and be moderately armored with an incorporated armored flight deck as well as reasonably fast(attempt to get 30 knots). It should have 2 elevator lifts for planes(one fore and one aft), as well as 4 sponson mounted twin-40mm AA(one at each corner), 4 quad 20mm cannons, and 4 superfiring twin 140mm dual-purpose turrets (two turrets foward of the island, two aft, all of them(and the island) in the starboard side.)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 06:26:59 pm »

My weapon votes:

SAE (Semi-Auto-Enfield):[/n]
-Highly accurate
-Fantastic sights
Poor man sniper rifle, we should switch to our new round and assault rifles

Wildcat.
-Easily modification

It can be a nice base for many mobile weapon platforms.

Helicopter
Tough

I want it to survive after some hits. being agile will not save from enemy fighters or AA guns.

8x40mm:
-Stable
-Stopping Power

No bad choices, but I like those most

Design:

8. Develop RPR (Rapid fire rifle)
Develop a new kind of weapon that will combine roles of SMGs and Rifles to serve as main infantry weapon. Use our new 8x40mm round for it

Vote for this

9. Seagull helicopter
Develop a light helicopter for naval use. Mainly for antisubmarine and utility use. Should be able to land on current vessels with little to no modifications
This is for improving our standings with the navy

10. Try this "kevlar" for creating a light body armor to protect elite forces

11. Develop Cruiser Medium Tank, Meteor MK3
Current Meteors are reliable and we better try to improve them instead of designing a new tank. Try new materials for its armor to get better protection with same armor thickness and same\lower weight. Secondary objective is to replace current engine with a new diesel engine.

Production&misc:

B. Produce all new designs but sniper rifle to impress high command and get feedback from soldiers. 
C. Request assistance of security service to protect our facilities
D. Suggest to remove Gilton Light Tank from active service and start exporting it to our minor allies. Wildcats will replace those tanks eventually. Humbly ask to use this funds to aid our facility.

Votes:
3. Lightweight frag grenade.

4:Design a Jet Engine. It should put out at least 1600 pound-force thrust(2000 would be ideal), and be able to run at for at least 100 flight-hours, if not longer.

Tempted to vote for an aircraft carrier but...
a) I am not sure that we have an expertise to design new vessel types and we have no shipyard to actually build it.
b) our standing with navy is not good enough to push through new concept, if they dislike aircraft carriers and never got them, they will likely stay that way

I think that assault rifle is a more practical solution than SMG, we need a standard infantry weapon!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:29:52 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 06:29:37 pm »

UR, the SAE is going to be used mostly by, say, paratroopers, not snipers. It's barrel is too short to make a good sniper rifle.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 06:33:50 pm »

Yes, I know it is not a sniper rifle, but I am trying to get it closer to a sniper rifle here making it a versatile weapon.

We got a real good design here, but IMO a proper assault rifle will make it obsolete even for paratroopers.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 06:40:12 pm »

Yes, but we've got plenty of time until a proper assault rifle comes out. Assault rifles barely exist at this point, if at all, and for now, we need to rely on rifles and SMGs. We can work on making assault rifles, but we need to keep working on everything else as well.

EDIT: Plus, good rifles still last far into the AR age. I mean, they used M1 Carbines in the first few years of Vietnam.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 08:29:07 pm »

Voting for 9 and 10, and 11 if that doesn't put us over

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 08:31:18 pm »

((Remember that we're Army weapons designers first. They have other factories for air force and navy.))
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 10:30:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A.S.S. - Good but it needs more work. Back to the drawing board again I think.

Khan - When will our prod. lines be ready to fill in production for our new weapons? Most deserve to be in the hands of our troops and soon so they can get use to them for our war. Not making an order btw just asking and stating an opinion.

New/Old suggestions:

Crusader armor - Using the new Kevlar idea and composites create a light weight tactical body armor. Cover on both the front and back while also having movability on the rear and arm hole areas.

Sniper rifle "Impaler" - Now for real. Same goals except now they have to be able to use our new munitions. Also they should have the power to pierce through body armor and kevlar.

Nerve gas - Paralysis of the lungs and to be able to kill anyone not protected by gas mask. Should be able to be easilly air dropped onto a field and 'cover' a medium to large area.

New heavy tank to replace this:

Tank, Heavy, Land Prince MK1
Weight: 51 tons
Length: 9m
Width: 3.8mm
Height: 3mm
Crew: 5 (Commander/Radio Operator, Gunner, Loader, driver, hull gunner.
Armour: 152mm on Front (upper and lower) Hull, Front turret and turret sides sloped. 90mm Everywhere else.
Main Armament: Royal Ordnance 80mm HV AT Gun – 90 round (80x650mm)
Secondary Armament: 2x Mortimer 8mm MGs, one Coaxial on hull mounted. 1xPintle Mounted Mortimer 8mm MMG/GPMG above commanders hatch.
Engine: 2x Meteor V12 Petrol engine, 600hp
Suspension: Sprung Bogie
Ground Clearance: 0.5m
Operational range: 100 miles.
Speed: 24mph.
NOTE: Slow, transmission issues due to dual-engine setup. Well armed and armoured. Small range.

It should be faster, more maneuverable, while also keeping most of its armor.

EDIT: We should call the ROF Blurton overseer about this bomber. I'm guessing we are definetly a target since were both army ordnance and research facilities. Ask what the spy looked like if possible and be ready to give credentials.

Oh and Call an Army general about boosting security because of the new threat. With all the new toys were about to give them i'm sure their willing to protect their un-damaged factory. There last one that is.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:19:16 am by 3man75 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 02:29:12 am »

So, let's see, what proposals do we have.

1) New small arms to replace the old and/or malfunctioning designs we are currently producing.
2) New vehicle designs, with primary focus on armoured vehicles of all weights and classes
3) Development of a new range of field and support artillery.
4) New aircraft designs in the fighter/CAS/Multirole sectors
5) Heavy/defensive/emplaced weapons designs, to help up fortify our coastlines, holdings and other interests.

These are our current orders.

We had 8 projects last month, so with that in mind, I'm going to vote for : 11, 12, 8, 2 [Thus satisfying our orders, at least somewhat]

Then, for my own interest, voting for 4, 7 and 9.

I'm also voting for the following a project of my own.

16.Leviathan Class Submarine

All our current subs are designed for surface based operations. Considering our enemy has dive bombers, and radar is relatively prevalent on ships, that means our submarine fleet is going to get thoroughly trashed if war ever breaks out. Hence, the Leviathan submarine. Intended for underwater operations, it has no deck gun, no external tubes, and should be faster under water than many of our standard vessels above.

To that end, it should also be equipped with a Snorkel, and sensitive hydrophones. Maybe even a radar detector.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 11:08:01 am »

My only complaint with a new sub is that we won't be able to create the new tanks that we desprately need to combat the enemy armor that we are suppose to compete against in the next war. Said enemy has a really bad navy and I feel we don't need these naval assests yet. However, Tanks and new planes we do really need.

Which is why I motion that we move to getting those plane specs when the Kaminsky fighters come in. If there not in yet, then lets move forward with better heavy and medium armor.

By armor I mean tanks. Also if we can't get the Kamisnky planes maybe we could get some from KTP, IHI, or GMO? Their international so i'm sure they'll sell us two or three planes that we can reverse engineer and then use for mock battles. Of course if we do that it'd be prudent to pick the one with the best fighters or multi role planes.

EDIT: Gm what does "Kormayev Tyazla Promlysh" mean?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:04:28 pm by 3man75 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 01:17:59 pm »

for fighters I prefer to gamble and go for jets+helicopters (BTW, helicopters are the best tanks, flying tanks)

For armor... I think that my simple tank upgrade should work well enough and prefer to do no more than needed to keep our bosses happy.

Currently we are in process of making our infantry the best, so many good firearms. Great carabine, great shotgun, OK machineguns, few more weapons and they will be very deadly vs enemy infantry. When this task will be finished we may switch the focus

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 01:43:21 pm »

That's why I want us to make a new SMG, UR. We can replace the Lancasters with it, if it works out fine, and if it doesn't, it only took 1 turn of R&D anyway, versus all the effort we'd have to put into making a decent AR.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13