Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do we predict a save break when taverns come?  (Read 2090 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Do we predict a save break when taverns come?
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:21:46 pm »

I thought I saw a topic about this earlier, but I couldn't find it. Not on the homepage or FotF either. So I'll ask it here.

Has Toady said anything about a save break when the next version comes out? I want to start building a massive complex to be filled with temples, taverns, etc., and I would like not to have to restart. I guess I could just use this run as a blueprint and wait until summer break for the real one, but I'd like to think the time won't go to waste.

Alternatively, is there a DFHack utility or something that just allows you to copy over the terrain?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Do we predict a save break when taverns come?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:15 pm »

LAst he said anything it was actually save compatible, but your civs would end up without any art styles. Since then though he's added the whole library thing, which probably isn't necessary, but is another feature you'd be missing. Once he gets to taverns something will probably break.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:31:46 pm »

Okay, thanks. Good to know! Think I'll just take this as a practice run then, because I need those libraries, and what's a library without its art?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:01:46 am »

Saves have (almost?) always broken with major releases. The shorter development cycle might change that, but I would want to hear it from Toady before we assume that saves will be compatible.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 04:47:13 am »

Yeah, this will almost certainly be a major release, so the chance of save compatability is very slim.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 10:01:40 am »

Heh, I never really processed that this would be a major release until fairly recently (the devlog sounded like some medium-sized stuff until I realized what he was doing with all the randomized stuffs.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:28:03 am »

Almost certainly. Hell, even smaller updates break save compatibility sometimes. (0.40.04)

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 12:01:13 pm »

Almost certainly. Hell, even smaller updates break save compatibility sometimes. (0.40.04)

That was hardly 'save compatibility', more like, 'previous version savegames are irrecoverably corrupted so there's no point even trying to load them'.

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 09:07:43 pm »

If anything has given me a zen-like sense of non-attachment, it is Dwarf Fortress.

If you plan to build a mega-project, I think you should expect to be locked into the current game version for the duration of the save.  It is the only realistic way to proceed in a world where the next version just might not be compatible.

I am so excited about this next release! WOOT!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:55 pm »

Even if the saves are compatible in some way, I won't risk it. There could be some hidden problems. I don't want to play for 10 years before discovering there's a bug.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!