Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FPS Death Again  (Read 4644 times)

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Death Again
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 01:10:10 pm »

Number of items doesn't actually impact FPS, but number of stockpiles will wreck it.  This is the main reason why QSP help out fps... you can drastically reduce the number of distinct stockpile tiles you use.  Each tile generates jobs to fill itself up... so it begins to get crippling when you have hundreds of tiles all looking for items to snag.  10000 logs sitting on the ground won't make your FPS blink.  10000 stockpile spaces to house them will force it under a bed crying in a fetal position. 

Naturally, running water and animals/units will also hurt FPS.  Magma is a huge culprit due to temperature checks.  Everytime the magma flows into a new tile, it updates the temperature of every adjacent tile..... so if you have a major magma project with gushing streams of !FUN! your computer will start to frizzle.  You can actually turn off temperature checks, this will greatly improve FPS but take the fun out of magma. 

coteyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 05:01:44 am »

If that's true then you should add it to the Wiki. The problem for did have a bunch of Stockpiles, and it would be easy to test.

coteyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 05:07:30 am »

Removed all my stockpiles and so no change in FPS at all. That said all my stock piles were full and thus were not generating many hauling jobs. So far world size seems to have made the largest difference.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 06:45:52 am »

The .40 update didn't do the fps count for large worlds any favors, no. It depends on how active it is, mind. A very young or very very very old world might give ok speed even if it's large.

coteyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 09:11:48 am »

I had my first FPS dip on my "pocket" world. It wasn't too bad, and I am not worried about dips too much. But what I did to fix it was cage all the stray "this or thats" I also enlarged my dinning hall so it wasn't as crowded. That seemed to make a large difference.

It may just be coincidence, but thought I would post it.

P.S. I think I am 3 yeas in. 100 Dwarves (the cap) and no caverns.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 10:57:17 am »

I had an interesting FPS issue in my last fort.  It was in a heavily wooded intersection of streams.  I had just told my dwarves to create a floored bridge across the rivers when my FPS dropped to low single digits.  Turns out that they were climbing up and walking across the trees to get to the other side of the river to place the flooring on that side.  Since climbing is the pathing of last resort it was considering EVERY other path before they would decide to climb the trees.  Once I either suspended the other side or they completed a walkable path the FPS went back to normal (about 100 at that point).

I think my next fort is going to try some design changes to try and help out pathing.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 11:45:14 am »

Magma flow is the last level of magma above SMR, and I don't think there is any actual flow, and thus not any FPS hit, from it.

This is correct, but I'm pretty certain that the number reported by DFHack's 'flows' command is actual flowing magma, and not a count of 'magma flow' tiles, since the command is intended to allow one to check for the magma sea leaking into the layer below it.

coteyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 11:47:16 am »

If you can't "see" the magma, then does it still "leak" And if so how does one repair a leak for a layer they have not reached yet.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 11:56:08 am »

The simulation runs the same for everything in your embark, whether you've seen it yet or not. As far as plugging the leak, it may or may not be possible to seal up via strategic obsidian casting, but until you locate the leak, there's no way to even be sure it can be sealed, much less actually seal it. If you want to try to seal it without actually breaching the magma sea, you could use DFHack's 'reveal' command to find where it is leaking, and then use DFHack to create solid blocks to seal the leak (I've never tried this myself, but it should work).

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 07:26:43 am »

I use fastdwarf.  That way my game ends not due to FPS death but either due to FUN or when I run out of ideas to try.  OK, it unbalances the game, but to me the game is already pretty unbalanced, since all a gobbo has to do is fart and 20 dwarfs drop dead, this rebalances it in the dorfs' favour somewhat.  Also as I spend most of my gameplay time just waiting for jobs to get done, fastdwarf gives me a lot of life back.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 09:49:35 am »

And a soldier dwarf has to breathe and one hundred goblins drop dead, and so does their demon leader back home.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

coteyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 12:07:25 pm »

Not really finding goblins to be a problem yet, fastdwarf isn't really a route I want to go. I might have to if it is really path finding causing the issue.

Oddly the biggest impact in my current fortress (though much better then when I started this post). Seems to be collision of dwarves in the dining hall and statue room. 100 dwarfs in a dining room seems to really cause issues. If I made two dining halls would they auto "split" to them or would I need to use burrows?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 12:47:24 pm »

They'd go to the closest one.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »

dont believe anyone who tells you they play 100+ fps with like 200-300 dwarves. its only possible if you heavily mod out features. the bulk of the processing is creature pathfinding. i have a 4ghz processor and i can play 4x4 embarks with 200 dwarves on a steady 40-60 fps, but thats only assuming i murder all the stray animals

coteyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 03:06:23 am »

Caging animals seems to make a pretty large difference. If I cage everything I can hold about 50 fps. I have 109 Dwarves, and 10,777 items, though most of that seems to be food, drink and clothes. To me the sad part with this fortress, is that "in the world" the elves have decided to go on some kind of murderous rampage. I have never seen an elf attack, let alone a rampage. Every time a liaison visits, some site or another has fallen to the elves. I'd like to make it till it was my turn to have some FUN, but it's, again, becoming tedious to stay on top of FPS issues.  Ah well thanks for the tips, it's definitely made it better. No fort of mine has gotten this far with out FPS death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3