Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: opposite of burrows?  (Read 1928 times)

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
opposite of burrows?
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:16:02 am »

i have this situation where to cut off access to my dwarves, yet allow access to my enemies. is there a way to designate a certain door/pathway in such a way so that dwarves act as if its walled out, but enemies can path through it without issues?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: opposite of burrows?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 11:19:37 am »

i have this situation where to cut off access to my dwarves, yet allow access to my enemies. is there a way to designate a certain door/pathway in such a way so that dwarves act as if its walled out, but enemies can path through it without issues?
You can use traffic designations to have them avoid the area but if there is no other route they will still use it.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:30:56 am »

yeah i know that, its also why it wont work in this case

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:34:32 am »

Well if you don't want to set a burrow and restrict the fortress to it then no, there's no way I know of.

I don't quite understand your use case. You can make a burrow and set an alarm so that everyone gathers there and nobody would be going out through your designated area.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:49:32 am »

Well if you don't want to set a burrow and restrict the fortress to it then no, there's no way I know of.

I don't quite understand your use case. You can make a burrow and set an alarm so that everyone gathers there and nobody would be going out through your designated area.
its just that defining a burrow to a new and constantly expanding fortress is extremely annoying. it would be much easier to just restrict a single pathway. but i guess i have no choice

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:04 am »

its just that defining a burrow to a new and constantly expanding fortress is extremely annoying.

If you're not opposed to using it, DFHack has options for auto-expanding burrows to solve that problem.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 11:56:13 am »

I just have a safe-zone burrow in a deep room where all my civilians go when there are invaders. The safe room has a big food/drink stockpile and a bunch of statues for party time. They get drunk and have fun while my soldiers clean up topside.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 12:30:07 pm »

Why don't you try making the entire surface and underground area part of a single burrow?  Since a tile does not have to be exposed to be included in a burrow, you will never have to expand it, and need only remove the areas you want no jobs done at.

Aside from that, I recall a mechanism Wanderingkid built into his OMG undead grinder in Furnaceclans.  It was a path out (into the grinder), with a hatch over a hole a tile away from a pressure plate set to activate at any weight and including dwarfs.  Scenario played out with a dwarf trying to path to the undead-ridden surface, stepping on the pressure plate, and then cancel the job when the path was broken.  You might try something similar.  Maybe a 3x3 retracting bridge over a 2z deep pit with 5/7 water at the bottom and a staircase leading out.

As i wrack my brain trying to think of more, I realize I know plenty of ways to keep enemies out and dwarfs passing, but very few to do the opposite.  Must not come up much in my forts.

hyperman500

• Bay Watcher
  • I endorse all exploits!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 02:41:19 pm »

You could set up a goblin or something to scare the dwarves as they try to pass by.

If the system isn't overly complicated and utterly convoluted it clearly isn't Dwarfy enough to make.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 05:15:52 pm »

Why don't you try making the entire surface and underground area part of a single burrow?  Since a tile does not have to be exposed to be included in a burrow, you will never have to expand it, and need only remove the areas you want no jobs done at.

Aside from that, I recall a mechanism Wanderingkid built into his OMG undead grinder in Furnaceclans.  It was a path out (into the grinder), with a hatch over a hole a tile away from a pressure plate set to activate at any weight and including dwarfs.  Scenario played out with a dwarf trying to path to the undead-ridden surface, stepping on the pressure plate, and then cancel the job when the path was broken.  You might try something similar.  Maybe a 3x3 retracting bridge over a 2z deep pit with 5/7 water at the bottom and a staircase leading out.

As i wrack my brain trying to think of more, I realize I know plenty of ways to keep enemies out and dwarfs passing, but very few to do the opposite.  Must not come up much in my forts.
i guess the underground burrow would do, even though that the undead army is pathing through a deep cave which leads to my fort, which might be a problem.

the mechanism thing is redundant imo, dwarves will still try and path

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Opposite of burrows?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 05:44:01 pm »

If it's a pathway you want in the future, you could stick in some doors and walls and just lock the doors once they're built. If you won't need it in a hurry, perhaps just wall around it entirely, then dig through the wall when/as needed.

I have entire mineshafts which are locked behind a double-doored corridor, because they're not in use right now, and will only stuff everyone up if they're accessible (And make my horrid fps even sodding worse).
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »

You can also use windows or statues, they are easier to remove.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 09:38:39 pm »

Code: [Select]
   v-Shorter route, marked RESTRICTED
==T==T==
  |  |
  |  |
  L==J
   ^-Longer route, marked HIGH TRAFFIC
Dwarves will go the long route, goblins will go the short route.  This can be used to reroute traffic for different factions.  Only colony dwarves obey traffic, invaders, traders, dwarven traders, and colony animals ignore traffic.