Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: So I was thinking of getting a console...  (Read 4289 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: So I was thinking of getting a console...
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »

something something peasant something something
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 05:02:51 pm »

Currently, it's a competition between the Wii U, 3DS, PS Vita, and possibly the PS4. Or maybe PS3.

This might be a factor in your decision:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Morpheus_(virtual_reality)

"Project Morpheus is the codename for an upcoming virtual reality headset produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is designed to be fully functional with the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita game systems. It is currently a prototype and has no confirmed release date, although Sony say it will be released in the first half of 2016"

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 05:15:13 pm »

Currently, it's a competition between the Wii U, 3DS, PS Vita, and possibly the PS4. Or maybe PS3.

This might be a factor in your decision:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Morpheus_(virtual_reality)

"Project Morpheus is the codename for an upcoming virtual reality headset produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is designed to be fully functional with the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita game systems. It is currently a prototype and has no confirmed release date, although Sony say it will be released in the first half of 2016"
Project Morpheus?
What happens when you get a game over? Do you die in real life? :P
But I didn't mention the Xbox at all...
Hmm.
Seems like the 3DS is winning.
Which leaves me with one problem.
Which model should I get?
I'm not well-versed enough in them to know which one is best for price.
The New 3DS has more features, but the original 3DS is cheaper (and looks better, in my opinion.)
Oh, shush.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 05:18:53 pm »

Every time someone mentions the PC master race, a Blitz cries.
Do you want the many Blitzes of the world to cry? Then adopt one today, for just €2 a month, and get a free plushie as well as weekly updates on his or her activities.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 05:25:13 pm »

I don't see why the fact that the PS4 has an upcoming VR headset we know nothing about should matter. The Xbox also has an upcoming VR headset we know nothing about, and PC has Oculus and the Valve thing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 05:46:22 pm »

Get a 3DS XL (The New one if you want the newer version, otherwise the original XL is fine and cheaper), unless you're pretty sure you want the smaller one. Bit better battery, bigger in general, comes with a larger sd card by default than the original 3ds, still fits in most of my pockets. Otherwise they're pretty similar.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 06:02:56 pm »

I don't see why the fact that the PS4 has an upcoming VR headset we know nothing about should matter. The Xbox also has an upcoming VR headset we know nothing about, and PC has Oculus and the Valve thing.
Dammit, there was an XKCD for this, I'm sure of it.

But yeah, many businesses have had "upcoming VR headsets" for something like...30 years now? 40? :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 06:07:29 pm »

But yeah, many businesses have had "upcoming VR headsets" for something like...30 years now? 40? :P

Well nowdays VR headsets are not anymore a "madmans fever dream" as proven by Oculus Rift.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »

... in all seriousness, the only thing that really matters is if games you want to play are on the console in question. So figure out which one has the most you want to play, or the ones you want to play most, and get that one.

If you're going handheld, I probably would suggest something you can stick an emulator on, though. Massively expands your potential game library.

Wouldn't particularly worry about anything upcoming, though. You'll want to wait a couple of years at a minimum after their release to even consider 'em, both for cost and game selection reasons, so they're not really worth concern for an immediate or near future purchase.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 06:11:10 pm »

Already have a PSP for that.
Is it possible to stick emulators on a 3DS?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 06:17:53 pm »

... ah. If you've already got a PSP it... shouldn't be a concern? I mean, you've got an emulator capable handheld for if you want to emulate on the go. No need for two.

No clue if there's ones for the 3DS, though. I pay roughly zero attention to consoles that aren't a generation or two behind the curve, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »

Well would you actually want a 3DS? You've not given much to go on as to what would be appropriate.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 06:36:00 pm »

I would, actually, yeah. It's got a fairly large amount of exclusives I'm interested in, so...
Yeah.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 07:15:57 pm »

No clue if there's ones for the 3DS, though. I pay roughly zero attention to consoles that aren't a generation or two behind the curve, heh.
3DS's are both encrypted and made by some little tiny mom&pop manufacturer, so emulation is currently at the point where it can play a few home-brew games (and start one normal one... which then immediately crashes hard upon the start menu showing up).

To quote the emulation wiki:
Do not expect the 3DS to be anywhere near fully emulated for a long time. Check back in another 6 years or so.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 07:44:01 pm »

Other way around, eyetwo. Emulators that run on the 3DS, like they've got running on PSP and android and whatnot. Not emulators that emulate the 3DS :P
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4