Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: There is Only Power, an Evil Mage Party-Based Roguelike Game !  (Read 6441 times)

Black_Company

• Bay Watcher
  • Onwards, onwards to Glory !
    • View Profile
Re: There is Only Power, an Evil Mage Party-Based Roguelike Game !
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 01:56:33 pm »

THE CREATOR SUMMONING RITUAL WAS COMPLETED.HE HIMSELF CAME FORTH AND MADE HIS DIVINE PRESENCE IN THIS HUMBLE THREAD.
Ahem, okay. You could always inform us here in bay12 about your next project! I hope it would still contain randomness we found in There is Only Power, because that is the most challenging aspect of your game!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:20:48 pm by Black_Company »
Consciousness is the Sun
Tenacity is the Earth
Courage became the Horizon
and Struggle is the Realization of our Oaths
-Iwan Fals,1998

porousnapkin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 03:53:03 pm »

...I'd be wary about the whole 'opening it to others to make content' path though. CataDDA, whilst great fun, struggles alot with player added content. I know they've got a bit more of a handle on it now (it was ridiculous at one point - with players just adding their own fetish items and whatever) but it still takes a team of people working tirelessly to monitor the influx of stuff...

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been keeping up with Cataclysm. I was hoping to make something that'd be easy to branch with new content, and then bring content back to the mainline that's particularly strong. But I have to finish the game first before figuring that part out!

... You could always inform us here in bay12 about your next project! I hope it would still contain randomness we found in There is Only Power, because that is the most challenging aspect of your game!

I definitely want to experiment more with different areas for randomization. It's a double edged sword, though. On the one hand, I think it's really neat having the spell lists with random contents and in randomized order because each time you play the same archetype you're trying to figure out what game breaking combo you're capable of reaching this time. On the other hand, many people don't notice the spell lists are randomized, most people only play once or twice and if they get a seed that has a somewhat nonsensical or unoptimized spell order, it can kill the experience for them without a hint that the next play might give them a better opportunity. Still more room for experimentation here, I think, and lots of problems to solve.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2015, 04:36:31 pm »

Hello! Just wanted to say I really liked There is Only Power and I'll be keeping an eye on whatever you come out with next! Keep up the good work!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 01:23:05 am »

...I'd be wary about the whole 'opening it to others to make content' path though. CataDDA, whilst great fun, struggles alot with player added content. I know they've got a bit more of a handle on it now (it was ridiculous at one point - with players just adding their own fetish items and whatever) but it still takes a team of people working tirelessly to monitor the influx of stuff...

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been keeping up with Cataclysm. I was hoping to make something that'd be easy to branch with new content, and then bring content back to the mainline that's particularly strong. But I have to finish the game first before figuring that part out!

It's just the sheer amount which I think is the problem. As soon as the game takes off (as I'm sure this one will!) and has an easy to add too system, the user generated content can skyrocket. The problem is that a lot of it is...not good, and so you may end up spending time wading through a lot of rubbish.

This isn't to say it's a huge problem, just something to think about.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 09:45:50 am »

Well I just won, that was fun.  Needs to be expanded!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 2 [3]