Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51

Author Topic: Mission 20: Snapdragon Team: Hidden Fun Stuff.  (Read 83669 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 20: Snapdragon Team: Hidden Fun Stuff.
« Reply #435 on: May 25, 2015, 10:43:29 pm »

But what about keeping us timesynced with the other team?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 26, 2015, 01:58:36 am »

I
But what about keeping us timesynced with the other team?
I don't think you are at all. We drove along happily in the shadow of our robot overlords, occasionally experiencing AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, whilst you guys fought tooth and nails against waves of vicious beasts which blew up at least one vehicle. Also, as paris said, the two teams are on the other side of the planet, but launched simultaneously, so there's delay there.#

Personally, I think your team is a short while in the future to ours, hence why your fungus is so much more excitable. And why it's trying to abscond with the node, seeing as miya is going for ours in the limbo-present.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 26, 2015, 02:41:04 am »

I don't have the time to argue, so I'll try to make my argument concise.

1. Two minds are better than one (pun intended) and will give us better chances of copying the starfish's abilities, since they are bound to be stored in the local cluster's memory. Furthermore, there's always the chance that one team will be shot down while escaping or that something bad will happen to them so having a backup increases our chances of success.

2. It will result in better payment, since otherwise all we did was for nothing and it's like we failed the mission. I wouldn't want us to stop while we're so close to victory.

3. It will make the deaths of the people in this mission mean something, because otherwise they died for nothing.

4. It will be more fun. This mission has been very fun and thought-provoking/challenging so far and I'd like that to continue.

5. The planet was  hibernating when we landed so landing at the exact same moment was not necessary. The teams were launched at the same time but covered different distances to get to the planet, one of them spent more time at the landing zone yet travelled a greater distance. So all this tells us that time does not pass at the same rate for both teams.

6. If our guns can't hurt it, then how will a bunch of low level people with no powerful equipment be able to land safely so they can pick us up? The nukes will (hopefully) be used away from us, unless they want to risk killing us. Orbital laser artillery cannot be used or we risk our implants getting fried by its EMP blast and the Sword getting targeted by the planet. And no matter what, I'm still deep inside a tunnel, so we'll at least have to RP the time it takes for Flint to get out of the tunnel, which should be at least as much as the time it takes for the shuttles to arrive, if not more. I am forced to fight it. We can't outrun the planet or the worm. And as long as that cluster remains active, it can create anti-air that will make extraction harder, since Steve said Haebi can maintain nerve connections through contact with the skin. So no matter what, we will have to clear the LZ of hostiles to make it safe for landing, so we might as well do it now.

7. I don't like OOC solutions to IC problems. OOCing problems away is counter to the spirit to the game and reduces the fun. Problems should be solved by good ideas, luck, talking/convincing/yelling at/threatening or even killing insubordinate teammates instead of reconning them out, things like that.
1-The thing is that we don't need to fight the sandworm as we were told that there were two likely locations for the single brain and gyromitra has found a brain making it highly likely that we have no brain and even then risking a large number of players for another brain is really something I find a bit distasteful as it would unnecessarily endanger characters for something that is not of utmost importance.

2-Requesting backup may end up with a lower payment but likely not much if any simply because we are not at fault for bad luck on the joker team that resulted in the loss of the distraction.

3-There are several tempdead people who would probably like to be ressurected so endangering them is not that fair.

4-I agree that this has been a challenging heart-racing mission that has been quite fun. But it is fun because we had a chance, newbies with no hope of hitting a lot of the time let alone dealing significant damage are not going to have fun. They will be worm chow, being murdered by something you have no hope of killing is not fun in my experience. 

5-I don't really understand completely what you mean so I won't try to propose a counter argument here.

6-The goal is to get us out not kill the thing the bunch of people with guns is likely just to protect from the myriad other hazards or distract/slow down the sandworm.

7-Yes this is a good point and I agree but to a point, the point of the game is to have fun and while being bullied into following orders is certainly a good IC solution, I know that I would dislike it OOC, so while solving it OOC isn't the best solution it allows us to avoid the problem where superior officers order people to put themselves in danger which they themselves consider acceptable that is more dangerous for the newbies because they are simply not as powerful.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 26, 2015, 03:04:45 am »

Corsair, your argument seems to mostly be based on the sandworm being too strong of an opponent.

the reason I consider the objective an auto-fail is we cannot capture the sandworm. we can kill it and bring back the pieces, sure, but we can't capture it. Killing it is well within our capabilities. We still have several battlesuit-class characters and we have a mid-high level amp user with full mindpoints.
But we can't fit the worm on the shuttle, can't sedate it, can't contain it, etc. meaning we can't capture the brain alive...
unless its simply a shell for the brain, and it's simply inside the worm...
hmmmmm.
Hey, Paris? what do you think the odds are that you could rip and tear your way up through the worm's guts until you locate the brain inside it?
We can't capture the worm whole anyway, thing's too big, but if the brain is simply inside a worm shell, using physical defenses to protect itself similar to how Gyro's is using mindfuck / mental defenses to protect itself...
This might actually be winnable for us after all...

vote changed, I want time to continue for us.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #439 on: May 26, 2015, 03:16:19 am »

I might write a bigger response when I get home, but my main point is that I am trapped in a deep cave with a giant alien worm. So assuming I have enough time to join the rest of you for extraction, then the worm will have more than enough time to reach you and do bad things to you. So the only thing I can do to try and keep you safe and allow you to be extracted is to fight the worm while the shuttles get here. And assuming piecewise gives me enough info to indicate getting the brain is possible, I might as well try to get the brain in the process. You can run away while I distract it and try to kill it or choose to stay and try to help me. And since when the shuttles start coming we may be on a time limit and thus unable to deal with the consequences of the fight as well, it's better to do it now.

@Lenglon: That's why I asked PW to clarify some things so that I know our options and can inform the team about them but unfortunately he didn't and I had no time to catch him on IRC.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 26, 2015, 06:15:18 am »

((So, that's 4 for waiting (aos, corsair, sword, comrade) and 2 (paris, lenglon) in favour of continuing it seems.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 26, 2015, 06:34:22 am »

I might write a bigger response when I get home, but my main point is that I am trapped in a deep cave with a giant alien worm. So assuming I have enough time to join the rest of you for extraction, then the worm will have more than enough time to reach you and do bad things to you. So the only thing I can do to try and keep you safe and allow you to be extracted is to fight the worm while the shuttles get here. And assuming piecewise gives me enough info to indicate getting the brain is possible, I might as well try to get the brain in the process. You can run away while I distract it and try to kill it or choose to stay and try to help me. And since when the shuttles start coming we may be on a time limit and thus unable to deal with the consequences of the fight as well, it's better to do it now.

@Lenglon: That's why I asked PW to clarify some things so that I know our options and can inform the team about them but unfortunately he didn't and I had no time to catch him on IRC.
That is actually a good point, I think that we need more information about what waiting actually means as if that means "rescue team magically teleports to us" I vote for that 100%, otherwise I am slightly unsure.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #442 on: May 26, 2015, 09:26:11 am »

To clarify, this will basically mean that we'll skip a few turns here until the rescue team is ready to move out, then we'll start. This will mean that you guys will be fighting the worm as the rescue team does their distraction and comes down to get you and provide aid. The Rescue team won't just teleport down and you'll instantly fly away, they'll just be in orbit, as opposed to who knows how many turns away and still preparing to go.

In other words, I'm more trying to sync up the newly formed rescue team with existent missions. We don't have to do that, you can decide to stay here and fight and wait as long as it takes for them to get ready. But I don't know how long that will take and you might die while you wait.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 26, 2015, 04:34:33 pm »

To clarify, this will basically mean that we'll skip a few turns here until the rescue team is ready to move out, then we'll start. This will mean that you guys will be fighting the worm as the rescue team does their distraction and comes down to get you and provide aid. The Rescue team won't just teleport down and you'll instantly fly away, they'll just be in orbit, as opposed to who knows how many turns away and still preparing to go.

In other words, I'm more trying to sync up the newly formed rescue team with existent missions. We don't have to do that, you can decide to stay here and fight and wait as long as it takes for them to get ready. But I don't know how long that will take and you might die while you wait.
Okay then I vote to sync up rescue team and mission team then.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 26, 2015, 05:45:30 pm »

Let's go and get the wounded out of here and hope we did our job and that the other team has had better luck
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 27, 2015, 03:58:49 am »

((You know, all this quarrelling over the topiс during past few days, I bet Team Deflexula would've started off and by now. Let's round it up, people. My vote goes to waiting, although, I have no clear image of chronology of M19/M20.))
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:49:10 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

heroguy111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 27, 2015, 08:17:04 am »

((Hack two people's arms off unnecessarily? Still don't trust you in the driver's seat.))
(((I didn't hack unnecessarily his arm was stuck in  a bear trap and the other guy was being constricted by the fungus. I am doing my best))
((( Actually I was both those people and armless now)))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #447 on: May 30, 2015, 08:16:14 am »

I'm going to restart the mission threads on monday. You'll have 5 turns until the shuttles make it down here. Do what you need to do and survive till then.

Oh and post/repost your action here so I don't have to dig back through the conversations about waiting or not.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 30, 2015, 09:51:01 am »

((Hack two people's arms off unnecessarily? Still don't trust you in the driver's seat.))
(((I didn't hack unnecessarily his arm was stuck in  a bear trap and the other guy was being constricted by the fungus. I am doing my best))
((( Actually I was both those people and armless now)))
(((here I'll make you some nice robo arms)))
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 30, 2015, 09:52:27 am »

Y. Vetrov

- Fuck my life. I'm going to distract it, get your biggest guns, people, and make it right.

Get a good visual on the worm. Is it armored? How thick it is, as in, what is its diameter? Then, create a diversion by flying around the worm and spraying namite on it. If it tries to reach me and eat me, open a new canister of namite and throw it down its throat so it'll detonate of some shot later. Also slash and stab it with sword and/or dagger, if that will be of any help.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51