Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 51

Author Topic: Mission 20: Snapdragon Team: Hidden Fun Stuff.  (Read 83666 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 20: Snapdragon Team: Hidden Fun Stuff.
« Reply #420 on: May 22, 2015, 07:54:32 pm »

"Huh well then NO TIME TO WAIT LEAVE NOW!"
Quote from: @steve
"Steve unless the brain often takes the form of a sand flesh worm I believe that we are not at the brain if extraction is available I would like to call that in post haste as being worm chow then turned into worm droppings is not my idea of how to spend a Saturday night or any night really."
If the sand flesh worm hasn't noticed us then carefully drive away from it, if it has then carefully drive away from it a bit faster
((Also I am driving as you only need an arm and a leg to drive and I have +2 AUX))
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:08:20 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:31 pm »

Keep Running! If the worm-thing seems to be looking at me then DODGE / put something between it and me. and if it starts moving towards me then resume running.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #422 on: May 25, 2015, 10:26:02 am »

So the other team has voted for waiting in quantum time till the distraction team has been built and is heading out. I suppose I should extend the same offer to you guys, before the fight starts in earnest? Because it might go poorly.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #423 on: May 25, 2015, 10:28:17 am »

Because it might go poorly.
The fight or the distraction?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 25, 2015, 10:29:14 am »

Because it might go poorly.
The fight or the distraction?

Who says we can't have both?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 25, 2015, 10:35:25 am »

((I'm fine with waiting, but seeing Ulrich is dead my opinion doesn't really have any weight here.))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 25, 2015, 10:59:26 am »

((Yes for quantum time.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 25, 2015, 11:14:32 am »

((Speaking as Closest To DeathWorm - yes please give time for help to arrive thank you very much))
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:05:04 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 25, 2015, 11:27:55 am »

((We haven't yet extracted the cluster. In fact, we aren't even aware IC that it is inside a giant fungus-flesh worm. So why would we call extraction now?))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #429 on: May 25, 2015, 11:45:51 am »

((We haven't yet extracted the cluster. In fact, we aren't even aware IC that it is inside a giant fungus-flesh worm. So why would we call extraction now?))
I'm thinking of the same thing Comrade. That's why I'm asking for clarification. If he's saying "If the distraction fails then you're all going to die, so there's no point in doing this." then I disagree because the same could be said for our mission so far. If he's saying "We'll probably have to pause at some point in the future in order to wait for the distraction team to finish what they're doing, so we might as well pause now." then I disagree because finishing the mission might take longer than he thinks depending on our luck. If he's saying "I need to focus my attention on organizing another mission, so I'd prefer it if I temporarily paused yours to focus my attention on theirs." then I understand and agree.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 25, 2015, 11:47:29 am »

((You're assuming we're the ones calling for extraction. If Mission 19 took place chronologically before Mission 20, which would make sense to avoid the exact situation we'd be in now otherwise, the distraction team would be already waiting in orbit. Gyromitra is one turn away from severing their nerve cluster from the planet, and they can't just stand around waiting for us to fight a giant worm that may or may not be immune to all of our weapons and may or may not contain a nerve cluster within its body. We only need one nerve cluster, and extraction for both teams has to occur simultaneously.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #431 on: May 25, 2015, 11:59:27 am »

Even by that logic and your assumption that the events in the two threads are happening at the same time (which is highly unlikely, it's much more likely each of us is in their own time), the shuttles would need some time to initiate their plan and go down from orbit. Flint asked Steve to send the shuttles when he was close to the brain and Steve replied that he will send the shuttles the moment he safely has the brain, no sooner. That means that since the other team has not cut the brain free and are not safe, the shuttles have not yet been sent and are waiting at a safe distance (assuming all went well with the bait team). Which means that even if they do get sent, then we'll have to fight the worm anyway. So waiting only wastes our time.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 25, 2015, 12:30:16 pm »

Deployment necessarily occurred at the same time for the same reason extraction must occur at the same time. If one team had dropped chronologically after the other, they would have been shot down. Nothing has happened since that would cause time to pass significantly slower or faster for either team, as far as I can see.

If we wait for the distraction team to be ready, we spend fewer turns in combat. Apart from Flint, no one else except maybe Lars has anything that might damage that worm, at this point. I'd much rather not have the jeep full of cripples and newbies wait around while you fight it. We don't need to kill this thing; it can kill us much more easily than we can kill it. Why would we spend any longer fighting it than we have to?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 25, 2015, 03:56:29 pm »

Deployment necessarily occurred at the same time for the same reason extraction must occur at the same time. If one team had dropped chronologically after the other, they would have been shot down. Nothing has happened since that would cause time to pass significantly slower or faster for either team, as far as I can see.

If we wait for the distraction team to be ready, we spend fewer turns in combat. Apart from Flint, no one else except maybe Lars has anything that might damage that worm, at this point. I'd much rather not have the jeep full of cripples and newbies wait around while you fight it. We don't need to kill this thing; it can kill us much more easily than we can kill it. Why would we spend any longer fighting it than we have to?
I agree with this; continuing to fight the sand worm is just going to result in far more deaths than nessecary.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #434 on: May 25, 2015, 07:49:18 pm »

I don't have the time to argue, so I'll try to make my argument concise.

1. Two minds are better than one (pun intended) and will give us better chances of copying the starfish's abilities, since they are bound to be stored in the local cluster's memory. Furthermore, there's always the chance that one team will be shot down while escaping or that something bad will happen to them so having a backup increases our chances of success.

2. It will result in better payment, since otherwise all we did was for nothing and it's like we failed the mission. I wouldn't want us to stop while we're so close to victory.

3. It will make the deaths of the people in this mission mean something, because otherwise they died for nothing.

4. It will be more fun. This mission has been very fun and thought-provoking/challenging so far and I'd like that to continue.

5. The planet was  hibernating when we landed so landing at the exact same moment was not necessary. The teams were launched at the same time but covered different distances to get to the planet, one of them spent more time at the landing zone yet travelled a greater distance. So all this tells us that time does not pass at the same rate for both teams.

6. If our guns can't hurt it, then how will a bunch of low level people with no powerful equipment be able to land safely so they can pick us up? The nukes will (hopefully) be used away from us, unless they want to risk killing us. Orbital laser artillery cannot be used or we risk our implants getting fried by its EMP blast and the Sword getting targeted by the planet. And no matter what, I'm still deep inside a tunnel, so we'll at least have to RP the time it takes for Flint to get out of the tunnel, which should be at least as much as the time it takes for the shuttles to arrive, if not more. I am forced to fight it. We can't outrun the planet or the worm. And as long as that cluster remains active, it can create anti-air that will make extraction harder, since Steve said Haebi can maintain nerve connections through contact with the skin. So no matter what, we will have to clear the LZ of hostiles to make it safe for landing, so we might as well do it now.

7. I don't like OOC solutions to IC problems. OOCing problems away is counter to the spirit to the game and reduces the fun. Problems should be solved by good ideas, luck, talking/convincing/yelling at/threatening or even killing insubordinate teammates instead of reconning them out, things like that.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:52:57 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 51