Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 45

Author Topic: Mission 20: Gyromitra Team  (Read 81579 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 20: Gyromitra Team
« Reply #390 on: June 08, 2015, 11:45:51 am »

((I think the rescue should get here next turn, if I didn't miscount/misinterpret.))

"Stand fast soldiers, evac is coming! Just a little more!

Iveso, if the shuttle can't land you'll get to fly the brain up first thing to secure it, but for now I'll hang on to it."

Is there a way we could create a safe LZ for the shuttles to land (aka so loading stuff up goes faster)? Could I perhaps create a permanent forcewall around the (previously) cleared area a meter or two high (cylinder shaped) so that the fungus can't get to us? How many mindpoints would it take more or less? If it's something that should work, do so, then clear away fungus in immediate area with my newly reclaimed namite thrower.

If not a feasible plan, would it be possible to load up everything while the shuttles are hovering a dozen meters (or more, I dunno?) aboveground? What about me and Iveso? Oh, and what are the shuttles that were originally in orbit doing? Can I assume these are also coming down, being guided by Steve/autopilot?

Radio channel to shuttles:

"Gyromitra actual to shuttles, be advised, LZ is still hot. We'll try to clear it now, but if we can't it's gonna be airlifting everything up. Be prepared for either."
The shuttles already in orbit are part of the distraction. You and Iveso are taking the same shuttle as everyone else. Try not to slow it down too much, fatasses.

And no, Manips are bad at continuous effects remember? Better off with the napalm.

"For those who can, I would try freezing the ground to clear an LZ, it worked rather well for me. Made the fungus brittle and easy to break. I believe that they will need some sort visual signal in order to see where we are, anyone have any ideas?"

Begin freezing the fungus ground around us, then proceed to smash it once it is brittle. Don't freeze the ground over the trench or the brain hole, just clear an LZ adjacent to them so I do not freeze my team mates. Only try getting them out of the trench if I am absolutely sure that I will not hurt or kill them.
You freeze large chunks of the flesh and smash it up before kicking and throwing the chunks away. Not the fastest method, but effective.

"You have an amp so that makes sense, but Tek is a little paranoid about using his manipulator for non-precision work, so... good luck.  He will focus on freeing the wounded, if he can."

Shovel!  Start digging up the flesh near where I think the guy with all the heads is.  If it can't cut through the flesh at first, precisely sharpen the edge of it first with the manipulator.  If by some miracle this actually works, dump all the sand out of my backpack, then stuff any heads I'm tossed in there.
You run over to the pocket where you think the guy is and slice it open with your shovel. The instant you get it open the guy inside starts tossing severed heads to you.

Quote from: Kyle to M20 crew
help
Be stuck under flesh
You sit around under the flesh until someone suddenly sprays fire down onto you.

"Does anyone still alive have an unsealed suit? Because I have a plan."

If everyone who's alive has an intact suit, start burning the flesh off of them. Otherwise, continue to burninate the countryside to clear a landing zone.

((Schrodinger's Flamer is a plain old jellied fuel type, not Namite.))
Burn the flesh off them you say.

You run over to the hole that Kyle is trapped in and proceed to jam the tip of the flamethrower into the hole and squeeze the trigger. This results in burning the haebi skin off  the area, but fails to burn kyle's flesh off, thanks to his suit.

Aw.

"Yeah, I'm down in the trench with a bunch of heads and a shovel! I'd much rather not piss off the flesh too much with this cargo!" Ryan says, transmitting it to both the ground and rescue team.

Huddle, team! We gotta put our heads together on this one! If a hole above us opens up, toss the heads through it, then get through it myself!
You toss the heads up before tossing yourself up as well.

Continue lasering the Flesh around me.
Continue the lightning
These guys, along with Miya and others, make sure the skin can't grow back into the area the team is in and protects them from the planet's random gnashing.

Now, you wouldn't be able to see it, but just about now, the bombing is beginning on the other side of the world.

Radio channel to shuttles:

"Gyromitra actual to shuttles, be advised, LZ is still hot. We'll try to clear it now, but if we can't it's gonna be airlifting everything up. Be prepared for either."

To Miyamoto:
Understood.

Prepare for either landing or airlift, depending on further messages.

As you bring the ship down something in the distance fires at you. It comes in from somewhere far beyond the little patch of land that miya's team is fighting against, from the realm of some other nerve cluster. Maybe it remembers ships, or maybe this attack is a remnant of some long past invasion, an AA gun left over from the last time the planet faced invaders. You manage to dodge the detonating organic shell for the most part, but bone sliver shrapnel still pelts the shuttle's crew compartment. The only injury though, judging from the screaming, seems to be a shard that punches straight through Duncan's right forearm. 

You grumble and bring the ship lower, till you've got it in a hovering position 30 or 40 feet above the team. The LZ is small; a hole takes up most of the cleared area and the rest of the cleared space is occupied by the team.

"Can't land like this" You radio to the ground team.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 08, 2015, 11:48:41 am »

Start tazing flesh like a cop at an equal rights rally.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 08, 2015, 12:04:27 pm »

((Yeah, though I thought that maybe it'd still work well enough to try, what with a +4. I wonder though, if manips can neither do reaction shots nor long term stuff well, what were they better at again than amps? Precision right? Cause there's been a few precision amp uses over the mission, and they didn't seem to have trouble with that.))

"Troopers, help me expand the cleared area to get a decent landing zone! And keep those brains safe.

Shuttle, we're clearing you a path now, land once we say it's ready."

Expand cleared zone by destroying the fungus cover. Spray a big area with namite, let it burn through, then use manip to push burning namite to the edges of it so there is clear (non burning) ground to land (like how I created the first perimeter). Spray extra namite at the edges of the perimeter if needed to hold back fungus trying to grow back/attack us. I'm willing to use a lot of namite to ensure the line holds. Switch to spare tank if this one runs out.

If enough ground gets cleared this turn to give us a decent LZ, and the edge of burning namite holds back new encroaching fungus, tell the shuttle they can land. Oh, and how exactly will Miya and Iveso tag along? Just hold on to the shuttle on the outside and hope we don't fall of?

((I assume that, from pw's lack of response to it, that airlifting everything onboard isn't an option.))
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:33:11 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nunzillor

« Reply #393 on: June 08, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »

"Welcome back, fellow invisible man.  Would you like a container for those heads?"

"General, Tek has a manipulator and little else.  How can he assist?"

Give head guy the backpack if he wants one.  Check the manipulator brain's health.  If the brain seems okay, carefully burn away some of the flesh near the desired landing zone. 

If it would be risky to use either because of brain health or because the action is non-precision, first ensure the heads are secure (if head guy does not take them, take them and store them safely).  Then, transport the immobile wounded that are not severed heads near the landing zone.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:51:31 pm by Nunzillor »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 08, 2015, 12:23:23 pm »

"Welcome back, fellow invisible man.  Would you like a container for those heads?"

"General, Tek has a manipulator and little else.  How can he assist?"

Give head guy the backpack if he wants one.  Stay alert for threats.

"Check the brainpoints, if those are ok then help me burn away the fungus, if not just protect the brains of those men and start getting ready for loading everything up."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nunzillor

« Reply #395 on: June 08, 2015, 12:28:03 pm »

"Understood."
((Action edited))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 08, 2015, 12:45:53 pm »

Curl up in fetal position.Make makeshift bandage+sling out of snack bag.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #397 on: June 08, 2015, 01:03:05 pm »

To Ground team:

The shuttle's under fire. Landing will be... difficult.

Prepare to land when the order comes, whilst attempting to avoid AA fire.

EDIT: colour tags were messed up.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:44:27 am by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 08, 2015, 02:19:02 pm »

Get out of the flesh, head to the cleared zone, shoot the flesh if anything tries to spear/swallow me
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 08, 2015, 03:04:03 pm »

The lightning train don't stop!
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 08, 2015, 07:53:19 pm »

On shuttle.
If I have a good view out of the shuttle, use the Microwave Amp to conservatively assist Miya in his burning stuff.
If not, try to intuit if the planet will be doing bad stuff soon.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 08, 2015, 09:45:51 pm »

Make sure the cable is attached to the wench, prepare to wench some wenches!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 08, 2015, 11:26:53 pm »

"Anyone see where that AA fire came from?"

Keep an eye out for any other incoming fire, and deflect it with my mass amp. Otherwise, continue burninating the countryside with Schrodinger's Flamer.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 09, 2015, 01:08:54 am »

"Thanks. This'll keep a few out of my hands," Ryan replies to Tek.

Take pack. Fill pack with heads. Find living patient and do what I can to help, setting excess heads upon cleared ground if possible.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 09, 2015, 09:40:40 am »

Help to clear the area, and if it already gets clear, just keep an eye for new possible attacks.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 45