Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tree problem. Where are my nether-caps?  (Read 1740 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Tree problem. Where are my nether-caps?
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:27:03 pm »

One of two reasons I embarked at savage biome was a desire to see highwoods. I have a non-freezing area, so was sure to get them. No such luck. Fortunately I have enough trees to build anything, so it's not a big deal.

However, recently I've realised I don't have another expected tree - nethercaps. When I check with dfhack I get only three types of "caps", and indeed my farm has seven underground tree species, instead of expected eight. The nether-cap is missing. Where did it go and why, I wonder?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tree problem. Where are my nether-caps?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:40:06 pm »

You need three cavern layers for the best chance to get all the different underground flora and fauna. Any "dry" cavern (completely lacking water) will not support most underground plants and trees. Finally, the actual flora and fauna are randomly selected at embark; an unlucky roll can result in multiple missing species.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 06:23:59 pm »

Alternatively a good thing to do is go into advanced world generation when you generate a world and raise "minimum cavern water" (or whatever it's called) from 0 up to 1. That will ensure that you will always have at least 1 tile of water in a cavern level, and will have access to all plants.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 07:37:45 pm »

Alternatively a good thing to do is go into advanced world generation when you generate a world and raise "minimum cavern water" (or whatever it's called) from 0 up to 1. That will ensure that you will always have at least 1 tile of water in a cavern level, and will have access to all plants.

That's super useful. Thanks!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 02:34:44 am »

That must be something different. I have water in third cavern layer, the one with blood thorns, located above magma sea. In fact I have so much water here I could organise water sports resort. I have fungus, moss, shrubs, other trees (goblin, spore, black, tunnel tube, blood thorn), muddy tiles, flooded tiles, forgotten beasts and everything. I just lack nether-caps.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 04:58:52 pm »

That must be something different. I have water in third cavern layer, the one with blood thorns, located above magma sea. In fact I have so much water here I could organise water sports resort. I have fungus, moss, shrubs, other trees (goblin, spore, black, tunnel tube, blood thorn), muddy tiles, flooded tiles, forgotten beasts and everything. I just lack nether-caps.

I thought nethercaps are a second cavern plant
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 06:02:01 pm »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 04:01:21 am »

Yeah, nether-caps in my raws have [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:3:3], which means they should be exclusive to third cavern layer. The same as blood thorns. Since I have blood thorns I know for sure that I have third cavern layer uncovered. But there are no nether-caps. I can't decide whether this is a bug or not. Underground trees used to be available EVERYWHERE, assuming there was water. Blood thorns were exception, because they also have [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM], which doesn't need water as far as I know. But I do have water. My blood thorns grow mostly in water in fact.

If this is not a bug, then this is a new feature.