Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you remember your best fortresses?  (Read 2372 times)

RedEthmoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you remember your best fortresses?
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:58:55 am »

I'm currently overseeing my most successful fortress to date, but I know the day is coming when something inevitably destroys it.  I guess my question is, when/if you get attached to your fortress and its dwarves, how do you preserve the memory of it?  I feel like I need to immortalize my creation somehow, but want to know what everyone else does first.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you remember your best fortresses?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 06:02:21 am »

You could name your "leader" in all or most forts after your current one after your current favorite Dwarf. Or you could emulate designs, or write a story about it.  :)
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 06:42:19 am »

Fill it with beasts, goblins, traps, all sorts of murdertraps, and then, when your fort is about to die, dig very deep. Once you have fallen, explore with adventurers.
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:50:40 am »

Well, I upload best (most fun) fortresses to df map archive, and go through them once in a while.
There were some that died an FPS death, I feel kind of sad that I don't have saves left now that I got decent PC, though.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 07:53:24 am »

Well, I upload best (most fun) fortresses to df map archive, and go through them once in a while.
There were some that died an FPS death, I feel kind of sad that I don't have saves left now that I got decent PC, though.
How did you make the underground garden in the Kingfortunes?
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 08:11:11 am »

How did you make the underground garden in the Kingfortunes?
That are the custom "workshops" in Masterwork mod. Fountains, gardens, flower pots and so on. The one near king's room is Fountain of Ethernal Youth (or something similar), quite hard and expensive to build, but it heals any injuries and adds years to livespan or something, I don't remember the exact details.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 09:18:11 am »

I always try to let some dwarves flee the inevitable destruction so they may migrate to a future fort. Preferably with scars from the destruction event, physical and mental.

RedEthmoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 10:35:41 am »

I like the DF archive, can someone tell me where the .FDF-MAP file is located?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 02:38:16 pm »

Gotta export it with the legends viewer I think.

I like to remember my best fortress by adventuring in that world and visiting it regularly, I've only been playing since 40.06 though so I've got one which is easily my best and lots of failures or simply vaguely successful forts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 02:59:05 pm »

I'm currently overseeing my most successful fortress to date, but I know the day is coming when something inevitably destroys it.  I guess my question is, when/if you get attached to your fortress and its dwarves, how do you preserve the memory of it?  I feel like I need to immortalize my creation somehow, but want to know what everyone else does first.
Read over all the old posts I made about it whilst wandering its ruined halls in adventure mode, going from graveyard to graveyard, slinking about the beasts that laid it low; each memorial, receptacle and corpse tells a story.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 03:49:54 pm »

To me, the best is always yet to come. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 01:17:46 am »

I remember it by its end. By the blood, the syndromes, the vomit and pus that coated the walls. I remember it by the slow, terrible destruction of the doors as the colossus forced its way in, and the heroes who tried to block the entrance only to collapse as their flesh melted in the puddles of forgotten beast extract that covered the upper hallways. I remember it by the flames that consumed the military as they tried to kill the three legged thing from the deeps in the middle of the underground lake it had boiled away. I remember it by the children, hungry and dehydrated, wandering in and out of the clouds of miasma in the last sealed off wing as the sole surviving miner desperately excavated for access to water that wouldn't let the horrors into the fortress. I remember it by the fun.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:19:45 am »

Write the story down so we can all read and memorize it for you.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 02:18:04 pm »

I remember the brave stand. I remember the webs, binding the swordsmasters in place. I remember the pick it had wrestled away taking off the heads of many. I remember locking a miner in the butcher's workshop. I remember the silence.

I remember the other FB coming from the depths. I remember the glorious combat. I remember one FB lying in a pool of its own blood, the other gasping for breath.

I remember letting unlocking the door. I remember the joy, the hope.

Then I abandoned.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 04:23:32 am »

Machine Storm:

A 12z level giant fortress towering above the surrounding landscape decorated with cobalt and kolonite blocks with a solid silver paved entrance road leading to the main gates surrounded by solid gold towers featuring platinum statues of it's most famous dwarfs.

Memorable features of the fortress include:

- Magma transportation and delivery system which carries fresh magma from the magma ocean to 10+ z levels above the surface when needed.
- Magma shotgun
- Impulse ramp minecart blender defenses (Rapidly moving minecarts speed across roads in a criss cross pattern pulping invaders when lever is pulled)
- Massive waterfall through middle of dining room (Entirely made from gem encrusted windows and platinum furniture)
- Dwarven waterride (Dwarfs ride minecarts into places they can only escape from by swimming, this trains up their skills and increases happyness. It also keeps them nice and clean)
- Dwarven 5th Trimester Abortion Rollercoaster (Parents ride a minecart through a waterfall and statue garden which generates happy thoughts while they crush their babies underwheel)
- Fully automated hill titan silk farm. Bonus points as it's 6+ z levels above the surface and the titan can fly and is a three headed kestral. The whole silk farm is made mostly from rose gold and sits ontop an aviry spire containing many different species of birds and the beginnings of a dragon breeding program.
- Solid vein of gold which has been hollowed out and engraved which leads to our Underground magma vault containing our most precious artifacts. The vault is reached across a narrow bridge which you must cross. On the bridge you must pull a leaver which either opens the vault or cooks you in magma depending on if you've pulled 8 leavers in the correct combination or not. The whole thing is fully resettable and works in a way which keepss the artifacts safe.
- Many dwarven mosaics on the various roofs and landscape
- A giant pit to hell, lined with various statues and paved with various expensive metals
- A vast dwarven water powerstation of my own design which provides a vast amount of safe power to our various machines
- Strange twisting constructed floating dwarven graveyards which tower from the landscape high into the sky.
- An entire natural mountainside dwarven accomodation area which has been fully hollowed out but follows the natural angles of the mountain.
- Plus more things which I forget about, The above text is from memory as I'm not at home with my save right now.

I also have a hermit fortress which features a ghost pirate ship and over 400 slaughtered immigrants, a freestanding tower of insanity in the middle of the ocean, suspended on a pillar of ice from the ocean floor, reachable only via a dwarf minecart launchpad, another forgotten beast silk farm, candy vein dwarven quarters (one floor for each of my 7 hermits) with magma central heating and delightful screams from the various forgotten beasts which are trapped swimming around in our heating system.... OH and a dwarf leader who has done over 200+ engravings of pigs who he likes for their delightful squeals.

I honour my fortresses by still visiting them occasionally although I must admit that since they are in old versions of dwarf fortress I rarely play them long :(
Pages: [1] 2