Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Acceleration, and How to Apply it in Destructive Ways  (Read 8632 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Acceleration, and How to Apply it in Destructive Ways
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2015, 05:55:46 pm »

Not in that size, I'm talking about space stations that fire 30,000 ton tungstein rods near the speed of light
If you want to launch the station the opposite way, sure!

You'd need one hell of an engine to stop it launching the station backwards. Or a secondary MAC.
No see the recoil is a feature! Assuming the station accelerated the rods to .99c they would have kinetic energy alone equal to 2x the Chicxulub impact, and that's before all of the crazy multipliers you get from relativistic and fusion effects. You only need one rod to put a rather nice hole going down to the mantle and cause mass extinctions all over the planet, so the fact that it launches your spaceship backwards is just designed to get you to your next target! :P
And then John was a Worm entity.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2015, 06:31:35 pm »

When I asked for WMDs I kinda asked for something that a person can do by himself, like maybe accelerate two atoms fast enough that they hit each-other and explode? Would that work?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2015, 06:34:27 pm »

I mean, you'll have to describe the actual limits of your powers. As far as we know, there's no particular reason you can't just drop the Moon on people.

EDIT: This is not a power that requires cleverness.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2015, 06:40:15 pm »

Accelerate the production of certain chemicals in a persons body so it kills them. Maybe adrenaline or something that has adverse affects when there is too much of it?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2015, 06:43:46 pm »

As has been discussed here, with "acceleration" you can also control practically everything in the universe. Killing someone is trivial. You can cause nuclear fusion, superheat literally anything and deorbit planets.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2015, 06:46:11 pm »

I mean, you'll have to describe the actual limits of your powers. As far as we know, there's no particular reason you can't just drop the Moon on people.
[I managed to kill someone by accelerating the speed my punch was going at, blowing up my target's chest. 99.6% chance of failing and 99.8% chance of dying, there.
So yeah, accelerating my punch so I explode someone's chest like a falcon punch being used against jello is the extent of my power, though causing heart attacks by accelerating contractions and stuff is within my power as well.

Accelerate the production of certain chemicals in a persons body so it kills them. Maybe adrenaline or something that has adverse affects when there is too much of it?
Yeah, something like this would be useful. Besides the heart, is there any other bodily process I can accelerate the speed of to cause deadly harm to them? For the heart, I don't mean "accelerate" as in increasing how fast it beats, but rather the speed the muscles travel at for every individual beat.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2015, 06:52:46 pm »

EDIT: This is not a power that requires cleverness.
Pretty much. Easy ways to kill people range from the simple:
Accelerate the rock from your hand to a high speed towards the target, bullet style.
to the direct approach:
Accelerate your target downwards into the ground they are standing on extremely quickly.
to the cruel:
Give their lower body a .01 inch/s constant acceleration downwards and their upper body a .01 inch/s constant acceleration upwards.
to the extreme:
Give every molecule in their body a high acceleration out away from every other molecule
to the overkill:
Accelerate the moon towards their position rapidly.

To wit, so far this thread has thought of pretty much only one way to kill someone that doesn't involve the manipulation of acceleration through some means, so that means that it's very likely that almost every other form of killing someone can be accomplished through the manipulation of acceleration (basing off of Bay12's reliable ability to determine total forms of death and violence).

If your only ability is to accelerate your punch towards someone it's a fairly weak power since once you reach a certain point you are either going to A) Mangle your fist on impact or B) rip your fist off of your own arm. There aren't really any powerful applications that don't result in one of those two things happening. (I mean sure you could turn your fist into a one-use world-cracking bomb with that power, but you certainly wouldn't be left standing afterwards).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 06:54:34 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2015, 06:55:22 pm »

I mean, what are the actual rules governing it? "Accelerating a punch" isn't terribly illustrative. Do you need some kind of contact with what you're manipulating? Is there a range on it? Is there some kind of technobabble rationalization? How much power, in the physics sense, can you actually generate? Is there any kind of feedback, or does the energy just appear out of nowhere? Are there any rules, or is it just a "you pitch it to the authorities and see what works" sort of situation?

I mean, the question you're asking is as vague as "How can I use power over money to retire?"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2015, 06:59:41 pm »

Accelerate the speed their bowls are moving their fecal matter.
Did you just shit my pants?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2015, 07:25:46 pm »

I mean, what are the actual rules governing it? "Accelerating a punch" isn't terribly illustrative. Do you need some kind of contact with what you're manipulating? Is there a range on it? Is there some kind of technobabble rationalization? How much power, in the physics sense, can you actually generate? Is there any kind of feedback, or does the energy just appear out of nowhere? Are there any rules, or is it just a "you pitch it to the authorities and see what works" sort of situation?
I "accelerate my punch" in that I increase the forward acceleration of my arm as it's moving forward to punch someone. Contact is not necessary. Range is line of sight. There is no technobabble rationalisation - it's just magic. I have no idea how much power I can generate, but improving my punch so it was falcon punch vs jello is the best I've done so far. I can only increase or decrease what acceleration is already there. The latter, though extremely large changes of acceleration (to c, for example) is firmly outside of my current ability.

Accelerate the speed their bowls are moving their fecal matter.
Did you just shit my pants?
That could work, though it would be better if I increased the acceleration of the poo in the opposite direction it was supposed to go. Anyone know what would happen then?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »

How did you accellerate your punch without ripping off your arm?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2015, 07:40:35 pm »

How did you accellerate your punch without ripping off your arm?
A crap-ton of luck.

EDIT: So as it turns out, I actually had even less chance of surviving than I initially said I did. 99.96% chance to fail and 99.98% chance to die, as opposed to what I said (99.6 and 99.8, respectively.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:45:34 pm by Andres »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »

That could work, though it would be better if I increased the acceleration of the poo in the opposite direction it was supposed to go. Anyone know what would happen then?
Nothing that would be worse than picking up a pebble and accelerating it to a hundred miles an hour or so in the direction of your enemy's forehead (or just accelerating your enemy's body straight into the ground to make a puddle). Or how about accelerating nearby air towards itself in a sphere to create plasma? Then just stop accelerating the plasma inwards from any given direction and bam, fiery death. Under those limitations there's still no real need to get creative, since what you've got is still enough to kill anything that you can see at will.

And if you had fine enough control you could even essentially render your own body inviolable, since if you force it's acceleration to match the local norm then things like bullets will literally just hit you and stop, and you'd be able to ignore things like hot and cold as well (since temperature is just the average kinetic energy of atoms). Nothing normal would be able to harm you at all other then other people's crazy powers.

Or heck, how about teleportation? Accelerate all of the atoms between you and your destination to push them out of the road, then make your acceleration go 0->.99999999c->-.99999999c->0. Since you would be uniformly accelerating your entire body you wouldn't suffer any ill effects from the velocity change and it would essentially allow you to teleport, or at least move as close to light speed as you can get.

An easy way to visualize the "no ill effects" thing is to think of your body as a bunch of identical cars driving on the highway. If the front row of cars all suddenly slam on their brakes at the same time, the ones right behind them are almost certainly going to crash (which is basically what happens when your body slams into an object). However if every single car (i.e. every atom in your body) all slammed on the brakes at exactly the same moment then they would all slow down at the same speed and none would crash into one-another (which is what your power could do).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2015, 08:09:29 pm »

Or how about accelerating nearby air towards itself in a sphere to create plasma? Then just stop accelerating the plasma inwards from any given direction and bam, fiery death.
This is usable but there's a small chance I could fail the roll badly enough that the plasma hits me instead, plus I need to roll high enough in the first place to get the acceleration of the air high enough to turn it into plasma. The roll might be to high for me to even have a chance of succeeding, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Or heck, how about teleportation? Accelerate all of the atoms between you and your destination to push them out of the road, then make your acceleration go 0->.99999999c->-.99999999c->0. Since you would be uniformly accelerating your entire body you wouldn't suffer any ill effects from the velocity change and it would essentially allow you to teleport, or at least move as close to light speed as you can get.

An easy way to visualize the "no ill effects" thing is to think of your body as a bunch of identical cars driving on the highway. If the front row of cars all suddenly slam on their brakes at the same time, the ones right behind them are almost certainly going to crash (which is basically what happens when your body slams into an object). However if every single car (i.e. every atom in your body) all slammed on the brakes at exactly the same moment then they would all slow down at the same speed and none would crash into one-another (which is what your power could do).
Yup. Flash step. If I fail the roll, though, I could end up with all of my organs continuing to move even after the rest of my body has stopped. It's why I haven't used it yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2015, 09:27:32 pm »

Ok, looking more into the exact mechanics of the game...

Looking at the game I think your best answers are gonna come down to "shoot a rock/arrow/other random object at my enemy" or "accelerate some part of my enemy into another part of them" (brains are probably the best place to do this, since even a small success would be fatal). Use the first one on those enemies that are resistant to mental/magic attacks and use the second one on those enemies that are resistant to physical attacks. Neither one has much potential for a backfire, especially if you ensure that you aren't standing right next to your target when you use your ability. For defense you should be able to pretty much nullify any sort of physical attack by accelerating it sideways before it hits you (much less force is needed to make something miss you to the left or right then to invert it's direction, and even a small success should make things much less lethal, i.e. hit you in the shoulder instead of the heart) but you aren't going to have much defense against any sort of mental or power-based attack other then the extremely risky use of your power on yourself. I'd suggest trying to ally with somebody who has the mental/power category defenses covered and do a tag-team defenses thing where you protect them from physical attacks and they protect you from magical/mental ones.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7