Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Acceleration, and How to Apply it in Destructive Ways  (Read 8635 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Acceleration, and How to Apply it in Destructive Ways
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 12:28:56 pm »

Build a Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing truck, then set it in reverse. Accelerate to about 12.3 Undecillion miles per hour, then hit a pseron. This would cause, and I'll quote:

it would be like every atom in your body being shot with an individual supermassive black hole cannon fourteen thousand times over
Krhm.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 12:35:20 pm »

Build a Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing truck, then set it in reverse. Accelerate to about 12.3 Undecillion miles per hour, then hit a pseron. This would cause, and I'll quote:

it would be like every atom in your body being shot with an individual supermassive black hole cannon fourteen thousand times over
Krhm.

Yes?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 12:39:16 pm »

Assuming a 4500kg truck (I have no idea how heavy trucks usually are, so this was from driver's licence minimum requirements), you've got in the order of magnitude of 105 times the estimated energy in the universe. And that's something.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 12:40:55 pm »

Assuming a 4500kg truck (I have no idea how heavy trucks usually are, so this was from driver's licence minimum requirements), you've got in the order of magnitude of 105 times the estimated energy in the universe. And that's something.

This just clearly shows the divine nature of His Big Riggidness.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 12:41:23 pm »

You know... uhhh... nevermind. Gotta go, kthxbai. :P

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 12:51:12 pm »

A big rig in reverse would probably eventualy generate enough energy to catapult the whole mass of the universe into a second big bang.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 01:06:47 pm »

I'm just going to say that the equation they use is unusable for speeds approaching the speed of light, and it is certainly not usable for speeds beyond that.

So any attempt to calculate energy of Big Rigs truck is utterly useless because it doesn't operate under the laws of physics.
._.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 01:09:56 pm »

I'm just going to say that the equation they use is unusable for speeds approaching the speed of light, and it is certainly not usable for speeds beyond that.

So any attempt to calculate energy of Big Rigs truck is utterly useless because it doesn't operate under the laws of physics.

No way! What gave it away? The near-infinite acceleration? The lack of momentum in turning and stopping? The fact they phase through solid objects?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 01:58:42 pm »

A better question would be: 'how to do anything destructive without applying acceleration?'
Oooohh, oooh! I've got one! How about laser beams? Light moves at a constant velocity so by definition it can't be accelerating! Assuming the person started directly in the sights of the laser beam gun you could kill them without acceleration!

Another method would be suffocation by changing or replacing the air through a chemical reaction. Someone being stuck in the room with a big block of dry ice would work, for example, or in the room with something that chemically pulls the oxygen out of the air.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 02:06:58 pm »

Wouldn't chemical interactions necessarily involve acceleration on a minute scale, though? Stuff's getting from one spot to another. Really tiny stuff, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 02:12:45 pm »

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is "destructive" without being acceleration is the weak interaction, and I'm not sure how exactly that could be weaponized on humans...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 02:20:56 pm »

A better question would be: 'how to do anything destructive without applying acceleration?'
Oooohh, oooh! I've got one! How about laser beams? Light moves at a constant velocity so by definition it can't be accelerating! Assuming the person started directly in the sights of the laser beam gun you could kill them without acceleration!

Another method would be suffocation by changing or replacing the air through a chemical reaction. Someone being stuck in the room with a big block of dry ice would work, for example, or in the room with something that chemically pulls the oxygen out of the air.
You had to accelerate your own body somehow to trigger the laser gun. If it isn't a pure solid-state weapon there was even acceleration with only one degree of separation rather than two.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »

Wouldn't chemical interactions necessarily involve acceleration on a minute scale, though? Stuff's getting from one spot to another. Really tiny stuff, but still.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. 'Destruction' requires rearanging of some existing, compact material, which kinda can't be done without accelerating its components at different rates (so that they don't stay together as with uniform acceleration). Laser damage fits here as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7