Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interest check for post-apocalyptic Risus game.  (Read 3404 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Interest check for post-apocalyptic Risus game.
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:35:14 am »

I've never seen Risus played on Bay12, so I was thinking of running a game here. If you haven't heard of Risus, it's a rules-light RPG system that can be used for literally any genre or game-style, from an intensely-serious campaign about fantasy and magic, or a lighthearted, comedic game of international politics.

Here it is, if you want the rulebook pdf. It's free, and only four pages long!

My idea for a campaign was after some sort of generic apocalypse (that's literally what the denizens of the New World call it. Apparently, a plague spread which gave all human beings sarcasm and cynicism of intolerable degrees). Apart from the Sarcasickness™, the world was simultaneously bombarded by meteors, flooded due to global warming, then dried up because the sun is going supernova, and an evil regime is now ruling the wastelands. (Sheesh, must be hard there. I mean, life would suck bad. No wonder they're so sarcast-ohhhh. There is no Sarcasickness, is there?)

Anyways, the group of about four to five PCs will be in co-ownership of a caravan of trucks, vans and cars. What they want to do with that valuable tech is up to you guys. Will you try to capitalize on the needy wastelanders of the New World, selling truckloads of ducktape and bottlecaps as travelling merchants? Or will you be one of the countless bandits and marauders out there, preying on the weak? Will you take up arms and defend civilization, using the speed and power of these vehicles to aid you? Or sell it and not even play the game?

If you guys are interested, or got any questions about Risus or the setting, please feel free to ask!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check for post-apocalyptic Risus game.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:37:12 am »

I'd play. The Risus rules look simple too, if I can figure out how to GM a game I might use them.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:18:33 am »

I'd be interested.
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:34:13 am »

That description you set up for the world is great, unfortunately I'm can't be bothered downloading a ruleset unless I -know- I'm joining a game that uses it. Do you have a version of it I can read online?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 06:49:18 am »

I can literally explain the rules right here and now, actually. It's that rules-light (excluding the Risus Companion, a 40 page supplement to a 4 page core book.)

Risus for all y'all newbies:

First things first, Risus only uses regular six-sided dice. Secondly, there are no classes and levels; you have ten dice to assign to "Cliches", which are basically character classes. They can be literally anything you want, as long as it fits the context and setting (some GMs disregard this entirely).

Example character: (This is the character sheet too. You can post your sheets right now if you'd like.)
Name: Willie the Punk
Description: An avid driver, drinker and roughhouser, Willie is a tough nut in an apocalyptic sea of nails. A freelancer merc, Willie is in command of a "remodified" (by remodified, we stuck spikes on with ducktape) SUV, hoping one day to earn enough bottlecaps to open his one hair salon. (Mohawks for all!)

Cliches: (He has 10 dice to spend on as many cliches as he wants. It's not recommended to spread out and put one dice in ten Cliches, for example; you'd suck at everything. You don't need a cliche to do an action anyway. Explained later.)
(4) Wasteland Brawler
(3) Wasteland Driver
(2) Punk Barber
(1) Apocalyptic Survivor
(By the way, the most you're allowed to allocate into a Cliche is four at the start, most of the time. I'm using those rules for this game.)

Whenever you need to do an action, you roll dice equivalent to your Cliche that you specify. Example: The mutant bandits are catching up fast on their bikes. Willie uses his Wasteland Driver (3) to use the barren wasted terrain to shake them off. He rolls three dice and ends up with 15, while the GM rolls for the Loud Bikers (4) who roll 13. Caught up in the brazenly loud rumbling of their bikes, they don't hear their leaders warnings as Willie turns a corner and they crash into a wall. Rolls that aren't contested, such as picking a lock, will have a difficulty set by the GM:

5 for easy stuff. Pretty hard for normal dudes (but you ain't normal).
10 for challenging stuff. Most things will have difficulty 10.
15 for pretty heroic stuff. Whenever you try something daring or stunty.
20 for really heroic stuff. Firing a pistol at a target two hundred meters away.
30 for impossible stuff. Firing a pistol at a target two hundred meters away. Blind. With your feet. Handcuffed.

Now, combat in Risus isn't always the regular RPG combat you're used to. It doesn't necessarily imply violence, fighting or even attacking. There is, of course, brawling and physical and magical combat, but there's also "combat" during courtroom hearings, yo mamma contests and even origami contests. The duration of combat could last seconds between turns, hours, days or years. All is up to the context, the players and the GM.

When you are in combat, you roll your cliche's dice against the enemy's. Every time you beat their roll, they lose a dice in that cliche and vice versa. When you lose all dice in a cliche, you lose. Even if you have other dice in other cliches. The winner determines the losers fate, which can be literally anything (within reason, but screw reason). An example straight from the rulebook: Bob wins a tennis match against Chester. Bob drags his opponents corpse victoriously across the streets for three days. (Now, I probably won't let stuff that drastic be allowed unless you give really good roleplaying or detail it in a really funny way).

In combat, you can use Inappropriate Cliches, which basically are anything that wouldn't make sense fighting the enemy in that type of combat. Imagine a wizard duel: Azaron the Multi-hued is challenged by the newcomer, Bob the Homicidal Tennis Player. Now see, it is a wizard duel, so Tennis Player is the Inappropriate Cliche. If it were swapped, and Azaron was challenged to a game of tennis (call the cops now) then Azaron's Rainbow Wizard would be the Inappropriate Cliche. Combat is like usual, but if Bob's dice roll beats Azaron's, then Azaron loses three dice instead of one. Bob would only lose one if he lost. This encourages thinking outside the box.

Finally, there are teams. Grunt squads and PC teams. Grunt squads are so the GM doesn't have to keep track of 3000 orcs and roll 3000 times. Instead, he can put them into a grunt squad (or multiple grunt squads) to make them easier to manage and to attack. The individual 3000 Orcs (1) are now ten squads of 300 Orcs (3). That's still a lot of squads, but you get the gist. PC teams are comprised of PCs and sometimes NPCs. The team's leader is the one with the highest-ranking applicable cliche and use the team leader's cliche when rolling. Everyone else in the team rolls their dice as well, but only adds their sixes if they have any. When a PC team loses combat, either the Team Leader assigns the damage to a teammate of their choosing, or someone (including the Team Leader) can step forward and choose to lose TWO dice from their cliche, and the next round the Team Leader can roll TWICE as many dice.

I think that's it. The rulebook has a bit more things in it, along with a bunch of stick figure drawings, but this is more than enough to play. Anymore questions, just ask.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 09:28:39 am »

Looks interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 09:48:33 am »

Look's interesting
I do stuff, I guess

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 10:08:57 am »

I would be interested too, if there is/was still room~.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 01:38:37 pm »

I'm interested for a Mad Max Risus Adventure!
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 02:12:39 pm »

Ooh, This looks awesome, I'd Join if the thread started.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 08:02:18 pm »

Sweet, lot of interest. So, character sheets!

Name:
Description: Describe the appearance and personality and what they do.

Cliches: (You have 10 dice to spend. One cliche can have 4 at most during the start of the game.)

I'll be picking the five funniest and most interesting characters. Now, in Risus you can make any cliche you want, but please make it compatible to a post-apocalyptic setting. A Space Pirate wouldn't be allowed, but a Dune Pirate would. Stuff like Low-tech Techie, Brawler-bandit or such-and-such.
Dying of laughter?

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 08:16:22 pm »

Name: Mad Pat
Description:
Nerdy game theorist turned badass car driver, wearing sweet biking leathers and still rocking his classic hair-do, it's time for A Theory, A MAD THEORY, Thanks for watching! *Bang*

Cliches:
Mad Driver(3)
Conspiracy Theorist(3)
Rugged, Charming Nerd(4)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:59:22 am by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 08:22:51 pm »

Well, here goes nothing~.

Name:Duncan Utah
Description: A tall figure wearing loose flowing robes that cover his entire body, often billowing in the slightest breeze. Over his head is a hood, with his face being concealed by a mask. A faded yellow mask, with a smiley face on it. There are no visible eye holes, yet he seems to get around just fine. Duncan is a selfish, greedy, and quite possibly perverted mercenary with a heart made of lead. He looks out for himself first and his stuff second, with anything else coming in a far third based on how useful it is to him at the time. He carries around an old riot-length Winchester Model 1897 as well as several things of exotic ammunition to perform said mercenary work, though he is not adverse to using other weaponry when he can get his hands on it or when the situation calls for it.

Cliches:
Desert Mercenary (4)
Apocalyptic Survivor (2)
Greedy Son'agun (3)
Mask Making Master (1)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 07:38:51 am »

Name: Owen
Description: A short human, covered in hair, he spends much of his time reading books. He gives off quite an odor, and was supposedly once an astronaut...

Cliches:
Space Marine (4)
Speed Reader (2)
Demolition Expert (2)
Cook (2)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:17:18 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 07:45:50 am »

If I'm not too late, I'm in.

Name: Gavin E. Parker
Description: Gavin is twenty-six and has held countless jobs over his life. He's never been too proficient at any of them, but he's very good at slacking off and arguing with people over trivial things. After the world ended, outraged at the loss of his portable video game system, he has decided that he's going to get it back by any means necessary and has become somewhat nuts as a result.

His hair is blonde. His eyes are brown. He wears a filthy purple jacket he found in the trash.
Cliches:
Charismatic Slacker (4)
Arguer (3)
Angry Psycho Who Lost His Video Games (2)
Veteran of Way Too Many Jobs (1)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:40:28 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: [1] 2 3