Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I get dwarves to marry?  (Read 5864 times)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I get dwarves to marry?
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:31:28 pm »

I really need married couples, but my dwarves don't want no lovin'!
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
Re: How can I get dwarves to marry?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 02:33:56 pm »

Just made a topic on this, and found out that its muuuch harder to get marriages than in 0.34, but making meeting areas smaller and putting couples together and basically forcing them to talk to eachother works.  Also, dorfs must be within 10 years of eachother to marry and they can't be gay.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:14:41 pm »

They also must be interested in marriage in the first place.  This is particularly annoying because dorfs can apparently take lovers, but not produce children unless they marry.  If they have no inclination towards marriage... no babies.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:18:14 pm »

They also must be interested in marriage in the first place.  This is particularly annoying because dorfs can apparently take lovers, but not produce children unless they marry.  If they have no inclination towards marriage... no babies.
Yeah >:I
I only have one lover couple in my fortress whose civ is extinct and they don't want to get married so I can't repopulate without being all cheesy and making and abandoning a bunch of fortresses.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:32:20 am »

Use Loci's speed-dating method outlined here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144945.msg6028634#msg6028634

It works!  My fort is 10 years old and I employed this method to arrange pre-honeymoon suites for likely dwarves.  Here's my screenshot as I found Loci's a bit confusing:

In the above I have 2 beds - these are overlapping bedrooms.  Create the bedrooms first, and then add the statues after defining the bedrooms.  This improves room quality and forces the potential mates to idle next to each other.

Then simply follow these instructions:
1) Remove all meeting areas including flagging the great hall as not a meeting room.  This means that your dwarves will idle in their bedrooms
2) Select potential mates.  All dwarves need to be
-- Of opposite sex and not gay or asexual (bisexual is fine)
-- Within 10 years of age of each other
-- Not related to each other
3) For the potential mates, remove their existing bedrooms and assign them one of the overlapping pre-honeymoon suites - next to the dwarf you want them to marry
4) Remove all labours from the potential mates, including hauling duties.

After doing this, the potential mates should idle in their bedrooms next to each other, chatting away, making lewd suggestions and eventually becoming lovers and then marry.  Whilst it's not perfect and your mileage may vary, my dwarves take about 3-6 months to go from not knowing each other to becoming husband and wife.

Edit:
It seems that each dwarf has a maximum number of possible relationships.  Therefore you can get a situation where they're compatible, but because all relationship "slots" are already filled they won't even become passing acquaintances of each other in this set-up.  I'm assuming this only happens with relatively large mature forts but the simple solution is to swap the dwarves out with ones that they know already.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:04:49 am by bigcalm »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:21:13 am »

Excellent. I'm going to have to try this.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 07:35:47 am »

Nothing can be faster than retire/unretire trick.  :P
Just leave, play another fort, retire, and unretire the orginal one.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 08:29:29 am »

Use Loci's speed-dating method outlined here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144945.msg6028634#msg6028634

It works!  My fort is 10 years old and I employed this method to arrange pre-honeymoon suites for likely dwarves.  Here's my screenshot as I found Loci's a bit confusing:

In the above I have 2 beds - these are overlapping bedrooms.  Create the bedrooms first, and then add the statues after defining the bedrooms.  This improves room quality and forces the potential mates to idle next to each other.

Then simply follow these instructions:
1) Remove all meeting areas including flagging the great hall as not a meeting room.  This means that your dwarves will idle in their bedrooms
2) Select potential mates.  All dwarves need to be
-- Of opposite sex and not gay or asexual (bisexual is fine)
-- Within 10 years of age of each other
-- Not related to each other
3) For the potential mates, remove their existing bedrooms and assign them one of the overlapping pre-honeymoon suites - next to the dwarf you want them to marry
4) Remove all labours from the potential mates, including hauling duties.

After doing this, the potential mates should idle in their bedrooms next to each other, chatting away, making lewd suggestions and eventually becoming lovers and then marry.  Whilst it's not perfect and your mileage may vary, my dwarves take about 3-6 months to go from not knowing each other to becoming husband and wife.

dwarf fortress : dating simulator edition

why

whyyyy

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:39:57 am »

I'm just trying to confirm this, but it seems that each dwarf may have a maximum number of possible relationships.  Therefore you can get a situation where they're compatible, but because all relationship "slots" are already filled they won't even become passing acquaintances of each other.  I'll report back in a bit but I've got 2 dwarf "couples" who have spent 6 months together and don't even know each other as yet.   I'm going to swap the dwarves with full relationship slots out with some other dwarves to see if it changes things.

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 11:03:17 am »

Ok, I think that the "max relationships" is pretty much confirmed.  I had 3 "couples" who were refusing to acknowledge each other's existence (not even "passing acquaintance" in the relationships list) for 3-6 months in the set up above.

I swapped the dwarves out for dwarves that they knew had a passing acquaintance with already - after a month and a half I have one marriage and the other two are now romantically engaged.

This probably only occurs with "mature" fortresses where the relationship list is maxed out.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 11:05:26 am »

That's actually quite an interesting method.

I hope to see an update that makes natural marriages (which is without using this method) more common as it seems that people are saying it doesn't occur as often as it used to, almost never. I'm going to have to try playing a fort for a few years and see for myself, I miss playing this game.

Edit: Oh, I didn't know there was such a thing as a relationship status limit. If that's the case, then that explains a lot. I guess it's to prevent a fortress full of babies. I wonder if there should be a limit on babies rather than married couples? If there isn't one yet, an in-game option to manually decide that as for the mayor to control the population would actually be very detailed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:09:11 am by Lexyvil »
My post ends here.

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 11:19:55 am »

Edit: Oh, I didn't know there was such a thing as a relationship status limit.

Actually I think it's just a cap on the total number of relationships a dwarf can have (the total number in v-z-r) - I think this is dependent on traits because different dwarves have different numbers of friends.  But the upshot is that if all "slots" are filled then that dwarf can no longer have any more passing acquaintances etc.  This may also be why you end up occasionally with dwarves being a passing acquaintance with another dwarf but that other dwarf doesn't even acknowledge the other's existence.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:28:54 am by bigcalm »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 11:37:27 am »

Actually I think it's just a cap on the total number of relationships a dwarf can have (the total number in v-z-r) - I think this is dependent on traits because different dwarves have different numbers of friends.  But the upshot is that if all "slots" are filled then that dwarf can no longer have any more passing acquaintances etc.  This may also be why you end up occasionally with dwarves being a passing acquaintance with another dwarf but that other dwarf doesn't even acknowledge the other's existence.
There's another possible explanation for dwarves having different amounts of friend though, which is that one of the two dwarves has a bigger family and thus started with more slots used up.

This cap could also explain another bug that happened a while back. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was something along the lines of a mother arriving with a child and the mother didn't have a husband, and I don't remember if the child had a father. The dwarf might have been generated with too many other friend/family members, then the game decided to give her a child, but there wasn't room for the husband.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »

There's another possible explanation for dwarves having different amounts of friend though, which is that one of the two dwarves has a bigger family and thus started with more slots used up.

This cap could also explain another bug that happened a while back. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was something along the lines of a mother arriving with a child and the mother didn't have a husband, and I don't remember if the child had a father. The dwarf might have been generated with too many other friend/family members, then the game decided to give her a child, but there wasn't room for the husband.

I have no idea what affects the cap.  These dwarves were all "refusing to get acquainted" and subsequently fell in love with someone they already knew.  They also haven't made any friends/acquaintances since.  I can't find any correlation with the traits / social skills at all.

"Ballcutter" Olin has 61 total, including 1 deity and 1 lover - all the rest are "friendly terms"

"Jewels" Kol has 74 total, including 1 deity and 1 lover (actually, it's "ballcutter" above - all the rest are "friendly terms" except 1 that's a "Passing Acquaintance"

"CrazyCats" Unib, discounting his 11 pet cats, has 68 total, 1 lover, 1 deity, and all the rest are "friendly terms"

"Bowyer" Urdim has 65 total, including 2 deities and 1 wife - all the rest are friendly terms

Kadol Tekkudmamgoz has 67 total, 8 family members, no deities, 1 lover, all the rest are "friendly terms"

(Other, not trying to get this girl hitched yet but was refusing to get friendly before...)
"Miner Risen" has 78 total, 1 family member, 2 deities, 8 friends and the rest "friendly terms"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 03:30:22 pm »

I noticed late last night that several of my fortress-born dwarves have taken lovers. I might put them in solitary rooms later, but not now since I need their expendable labor to build the hell bunker and then the hell wall. After that, I can turn some of my extra bedrooms into solitary rooms and maybe get some marriages.
Pages: [1] 2