Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undead on map and not advancing toward fortress  (Read 1173 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Undead on map and not advancing toward fortress
« on: April 09, 2015, 01:35:18 pm »

Hello everyone,

I have a problem. For a year in game now the undead have been sieging my fortress. The entire time the side gates have been open and my 33 dwarf military has been on high alert. The undead just continue to mill outside. There are two clear unobstructed paths into my fortress.

What can I do to get them to advance? They seem to be stuck. I don't want to just charge, there will be high casualties if I do. I embarked next to 15 necro towers so dwarfs have become a valuable commodity.

Thank You,
Halnoth
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undead on map and not advancing toward fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:31:07 am »

Happened to me too. I think undead sieges are broken or something, because they just wander back off my area after they come to attack.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 07:46:15 am »

You could try sending out some bait and see if it unsticks them.

Undead or other armies entering your area and then just leaving might simply be because they're heading somewhere else, and are just passing through :)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:48:27 am »

If they are far enough, can you build some siege machines?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 08:48:32 am »

If there's no safe path to your fortress, they'll do that.  Goblins too.  It's called laying siege. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 09:27:15 am »

If there's no safe path to your fortress, they'll do that.  Goblins too.  It's called laying siege.
I thought that was because your traps captured/killed their squad leader?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 10:11:10 am »

If you capture a squad leader it tends to make goblins stop, since they're set to follow him. I think they'll keep coming if the leader is killed (unless it breaks their morale). Zombies usually charge, but maybe they're just hanging around the necromancer instead. And he might be hiding.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 11:53:18 am »

Someone posted a little while back that you can sometimes get them to come to your fort by tunneling underneath them.  Since they have extravision, they can sense your dwarves through the ground, and once a dwarf comes within vision (extra)range they may try to find a path to said dwarf (through the entrance of your fort, presumably).  I think vision range is about 16 tiles, but maybe only 3 vertical? 

I have not personally tried this, so I don't know how reliable it is.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:40:13 pm »

Undead pathing still seems to be an issue in the current version. Fyi...here's the current bug report:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8099