Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Idea for an PnP RPG Campaign -- No Electricity  (Read 4082 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for an PnP RPG Campaign -- No Electricity
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 04:16:21 am »

Midichlorians are mitochondria.  Just another example of George taking a normal word and twisting it around to fit his space western samurai drama.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 05:03:12 am »

There are spaceborn EMP's in starwars. It's actually a major plot point in a number of books and shows.

Well, that then is proof that Star Wars universe doesn't follow physics as we know them. (Or writers of space fantasy don't know physics, which is the more likely answer.) In general, I think trying to fit together plausibility/science and Star Wars is a lost cause. It is a fairy tale in space. Anything can happen, just roll with it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 05:21:47 am »

Majestic, EMP can be generated in space and travel in vacuum, just like light, microwaves, and gamma radiation.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 05:35:48 am »

It can travel yes, but not on a scale that would make any difference at astronomical distances. Most EMPs are caused by stuff happening in atmosphere. The energy necessary for an astronomical EMP would fry people and kill biospheres, not just knock out electronic devices.

Or did you mean that solar storms can cause EMPs? Solar storm is not equal to EMP while in space; it causes such when hitting our magnetic field. Technically, a gamma burst could cause EMP, but again, a gamma burst of sufficient strength to fry electronics on a planetary scale will pretty much kill the biosphere.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 05:39:43 am »

Could just use a starwarsverse EMP, cause they have that.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 05:57:46 am »

Putting my ten cents here, but you could have it be a Butlerian Jihad-esque reason. That is, electricity is possible, but after some unknown revolution the use of electricity is reviled and outlawed, and due to the censorship most people have no idea how to create them, and everyone run away at the sight of lightnings.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 06:02:31 am »

Just thought I'd note I updated my post on the (for the default settings) previous page with a ton more stuff to my idea in case it got missed. If the forum had bothered to tell me that many other people had posted (which it apparently doesn't do if you just are editing a post :P) I'd have just posted it into a new one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 06:53:06 am »

I pitched an idea for an apocalypse / horror style game several years back.  I think it would have been fun, but basically there are too many holes for most people to suspend disbelief.

The idea was similar.  Modern world, but electricity stops working.  Electrical impulses no longer flow through wires, lights go out, motors stop working. 

Chemistry still works, so a diesel engine might continue running until you need to get it started again.  Gas powered cars would immediately fail as their spark plugs stopped firing.  Firearms would function.  Planes would fall out of the sky, depending on how much they rely on thrust and not aerodynamics.

The world falls into a brief period of anarchy, followed by the establishment of something like feudal states and possibly some enclaves of steam boiler technology that could keep parts world near the early 1900's in terms of tech level.

The problems are the same as have been described here. "What about your brain, and entire nervous system?" and then the more thoughtful folks chime in "how about electromagnetism, and the Sun, and the bonds between atoms?"  and there's really no good way to explain it.

It would have to be at least quasi mystical, or spiritual, or religious.  There was a short story by Neil Gaiman (i think) that basically stated as its premise that "God has taken away all the animals.  People don't get to have animals any more." and that was that.  No explanation, just a divine act.  Or, it could be like the Z'bri from Tribe 8.  They show up, and the world changes.  Bam.  Or the world falls  out of space and into the hands of mad gods, Yog Sothoth style.

Anyway, the point is that this stuff cant be explained to much without it being cheapened or becoming contrived or just dumb.  It needs to follow some set of rules (what exactly works and does not work) without getting too bogged down in the "why" of any of it.  The setting needs to be consistent, otherwise it is just arbitrary and not enjoyable -- but it can't be over examined or it will just fall apart.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 07:14:57 am »

Well, given that the Force is somewhat connected to consciousness, perhaps the EM force fails, but the Force compensates for this in all but the most obvious areas?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 09:13:32 am »

As Puke has said, you really can't pull off just removing something as fundamental as electricity from a setting where it has previously existed in any sort of fashion that can be examined. Any attempt at an explanation that goes beyond "it doesn't work because it doesn't work" ie author fiat, will simply break down from inconsistencies.

Trying to shoehorn this into a Starwars universe and claiming that the Force can take over for/replace electricity makes this even worse, as at that point you not only have all the problems that have already been pointed out, but you are also butchering a further concept of the setting by arbitrarily changing the nature of the Force at the same time.

It would be honestly better and more consistent to create a new fantasy setting, with the Force as the magic analogue and replace the standard fantasy races with aliens from the Starwars setting. If the non-functional technology is never going to be capable of being usable, then there is no real point to having it present.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 10:42:04 am »

I pitched an idea for an apocalypse / horror style game several years back.  I think it would have been fun, but basically there are too many holes for most people to suspend disbelief.

The idea was similar.  Modern world, but electricity stops working.  Electrical impulses no longer flow through wires, lights go out, motors stop working. 

Chemistry still works, so a diesel engine might continue running until you need to get it started again.  Gas powered cars would immediately fail as their spark plugs stopped firing.  Firearms would function.  Planes would fall out of the sky, depending on how much they rely on thrust and not aerodynamics.

The world falls into a brief period of anarchy, followed by the establishment of something like feudal states and possibly some enclaves of steam boiler technology that could keep parts world near the early 1900's in terms of tech level.

The problems are the same as have been described here. "What about your brain, and entire nervous system?" and then the more thoughtful folks chime in "how about electromagnetism, and the Sun, and the bonds between atoms?"  and there's really no good way to explain it.

It would have to be at least quasi mystical, or spiritual, or religious.  There was a short story by Neil Gaiman (i think) that basically stated as its premise that "God has taken away all the animals.  People don't get to have animals any more." and that was that.  No explanation, just a divine act.  Or, it could be like the Z'bri from Tribe 8.  They show up, and the world changes.  Bam.  Or the world falls  out of space and into the hands of mad gods, Yog Sothoth style.

Anyway, the point is that this stuff cant be explained to much without it being cheapened or becoming contrived or just dumb.  It needs to follow some set of rules (what exactly works and does not work) without getting too bogged down in the "why" of any of it.  The setting needs to be consistent, otherwise it is just arbitrary and not enjoyable -- but it can't be over examined or it will just fall apart.
I have read that short story, and it was basically just a PETA shill. People started using babies and then those disappeared too, however that is supposed to work. It was also not very long :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 11:54:54 am »

Galactic EMP would be a good name for a band
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Fortron

• Bay Watcher
  • Camp Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 04:43:54 pm »

Thanks everyone for you input,

Knowing my players, My original idea is not going to work :-\

I will make a new setting

I thought it was going to be easier but after your guys comment and a little research I am just going to create a fantasy setting than will connect with the star wars campaign in some way.

Again thanks bay12 8)
I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 08:37:52 pm »

I wish you luck and hope you and your group have fun.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 01:35:08 am »

Is now a good idea to bring up my post-apocalyptic game?

Here is the old thread on the matter: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121718.msg3952911#msg3952911
Pages: 1 [2] 3