Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Idea for an PnP RPG Campaign -- No Electricity  (Read 4084 times)

Fortron

• Bay Watcher
  • Camp Leader
    • View Profile
Idea for an PnP RPG Campaign -- No Electricity
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:14:25 am »

Hey Bay12 8)

I have an idea for my next campaign, the player are currently playing in a starwars game and I am going to continue this campaign with a huge galactic event, No Electricity!

Effectively I am getting ride of a fundamental force of nature. From my understanding chemistry, electricity and even heat would no longer exist. Effectively creating an extremely alien universe.
At the moment, I am trying to create another fundamental force of nature to replace electricity ( The Force/magic), but I am trying to create a very unique setting with this concept; Not a replacement for what was lost.

there would be all of this technology, but everyone would be unable to use any of it (So post apocalyptic like, except about 500 years into the future after this event).

what do you guys think? Do you have any good reference material for this concept? ( I could not find anything using Google).

P.S I will use another game setting for this to make any sense (GURPS Most likely).
~Fortron
I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for an PnP RPG Campaign -- No Electricity
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 02:18:11 am »

A loss of electricity would make everyone blobs of matter. You would be deleting electromagnetism. Which is the primary way we hold our bodies together.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:50:35 am »

Plus at a lesser level, brains would stop functioning.

Perhaps rather make it so that power generators all fail due to X. If they are all fusion, that is a problem though since stars are basically giant fusion reactors...

Fortron

• Bay Watcher
  • Camp Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 02:53:13 am »

So the new fundamental force of nature would have to account for that hmmm,

I might have to go full fantasy here than for the setting.

My knowledge in physics is several lacking, is there any way to create a sci-fi reason why electricity would not work, without turning everyone into massive blobs of matter/brain dead?

Edit: Unfortunately for the starwars universe, there is no single way electricity is generated, also fun fact coruscant would just collapse without the city gravity generators that helps with the  5,127 levels of the planet city.
~Fortron
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:00:06 am by Fortron »
I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:09:47 am »

You could make it a massive computer virus spreading quickly through space ships that shuts everything down. Certain hypersecure infrastructures would be safe. Blasters and such would function but there would be no way to recharge them as most reactors would shut down.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:15:46 am »

Malevolent widespread computer virus that's been idle in the majority of computers for millennia? Something triggers it across the galaxy and all computerized tech goes kapuut.

Or black hole in center of galaxy releases an absurdly massive emp that slowly spreads at the speed of light. Resulting in core worlds going dark first, before rim worlds and eventually fringe worlds. This would allow a preapocalypse start where players start on a fringe world and get to witness firsthand the galaxy around them going dark, sometimes mid conversation.

Much of the tech in starwars isn't actually powered by electricity though, much of it is aided by electricity for computerized components, but not much is powered by it. Blasters are powered by burning a certain type of gas. Lowtech blasters fire by creating a spark in a charge, hence why some blasters resemble flintlocks and need to be cocked like pistols before firing.

Most lowtech wheeled vehicles in starwars use regular fuel and are only occasionally computer aided. Hovering vehicles would be useless though.

In either of the two previously suggested scenarios, electricity wouldn't be void, just almost everything using it would be FUBAR and just scrap metal. It would be possible to reinvent electricity, but odds are is most of the techies who knew how died when either vital implants/prosthetics went up in flames or fragile experiments blew up in their faces. Also all the computers with schematics would be FUBAR. So gonna have to completely start over again in some areas, compared to other areas where some tech doesn't need electricity, fuel would be in very short supply though, as would blaster ammo. Chemists and surviving techies would be in extremely high demand. There would be mass starvation, as most hydroponics systems shut down or no more food imports come. Anyone onboard a starship would die and anyone with electrical powered prosthetics would be fucked. Disease would crop up soon after. Odds are is pirate groups would survive the best, as most of their tech doesn't require electricity, they would even have functional spaceworthy copterbased ramjet dropships if they could scrounge up enough fuel. They simply wouldn't have any way to FTL and they wouldn't have the computer to guide them. Compared to the hightech antigrav hover of most militaries.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:17:41 am »

Widespread nanobot infection that immediately siphons any form of electricity out of anything it can get it's hands on. This energy is then used to run a massive hive-mind that is busy calculating some sort of world ending event (or anything else you really want it to). The nanobots can't survive inside living things, so that problem is solved, and they aren't good enough to pull things like electromagnetism out of the materials themselves, so you don't have a problem there either.

As a result something like a power cell would certainly generate power, it's just that any power that it created would be instantly siphoned off by the nanobots before it could actually reach whatever it was supposed to be doing.

It's not necessarily the most star wars-y, but it would work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 03:20:21 am »

You could make it a massive computer virus spreading quickly through space ships that shuts everything down. Certain hypersecure infrastructures would be safe. Blasters and such would function but there would be no way to recharge them as most reactors would shut down.
Virus would be easier to explain by dormant for a long time. The Operating Systems of most computers in starwars fluffwise haven't changed dramatically in millennia. Seed one. And it spreads. Otherwise programs would shut it out. Fast. And droids are intended to be self contained and have no access to vital systems wirelessly.

Blasters are powered with Blaster Gas. Which is a type of gas mined on certain terrestrial planets. It's also used in certain types of reactors as power generation.

Widespread nanobot infection that immediately siphons any form of electricity out of anything it can get it's hands on. This energy is then used to run a massive hive-mind that is busy calculating some sort of world ending event (or anything else you really want it to). The nanobots can't survive inside living things, so that problem is solved, and they aren't good enough to pull things like electromagnetism out of the materials themselves, so you don't have a problem there either.

As a result something like a power cell would certainly generate power, it's just that any power that it created would be instantly siphoned off by the nanobots before it could actually reach whatever it was supposed to be doing.

It's not necessarily the most star wars-y, but it would work.
Breaks suspension of disbelief that nanos couldn't survive in bodies. Also how would it get offplanet? The starwars universe is surprisingly careful about plagues. As in. Full mobilization of the military for any potential outbreak of anything lifethreatening. And this is a type of plague. Nanos still need a travel route. They can't spread if everything is FUBAR before it leaves the ground.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 03:44:33 am »

EMP requires atmosphere to travel; EMP can't travel in vacuum. Arguably there could be a phenomenon similar to it though. Star Wars is fantasy in space so there is a lot of things you can just handwave away. Hey, it could be midiclorians or whatever they were deciding to eat electricity!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:50:14 am by Majestic7 »

Fortron

• Bay Watcher
  • Camp Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 03:44:52 am »

The funny thing about the starwars universe is that there is no paper, so any event would that destroyed computers would definitely kill all knowledge outside of word of mouth.

I have a bit of a crazy idea, what would happen in sci-fi terms/ physics if a emp pulse was continuous?

how blaster works has been the debate of many starwars nerds for a long time, I like the idea of just tibanna gas being ignited and being propelled magnetically
but i have read some old starwars books talking about Laser mechanics where the gas was used as a "gain medium" to create a laser

Edit: Edit: Inductive fallacie,
~Fortron
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:16:32 am by Fortron »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 03:50:44 am »

EMP requires atmosphere to travel; EMP can't travel in vacuum. Arguably there could be a phenomenon similar to it though. Star Wars is fantasy in space so there is a lot of things you can just handwave away. Hey, I could be midiclorians or whatever they were deciding to eat electricity!
There are spaceborn EMP's in starwars. It's actually a major plot point in a number of books and shows.

Regardless, could just have a massive burst of radiation fry everything. Peeps would prolly start getting cancer a few months in, and a number of people would prolly die from disrupted neural patterns.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 03:53:34 am »

Possible backstory:
The nanobots were originally put in place to protect the galaxy from an even bigger threat. (Massive wave of the dark side of the force sucking the life out of things? The nanobots could be generating an electrical "force pulse" at a certain wavelength that holds it back). As the wave drew closer and grew in strength they had to draw more and more power to fend it off, which eventually resulted in them harnessing all of the power of the galaxy to keep it from wiping us all out. As such they were originally allowed to spread due to their defensive purposes, the lack of electricity was just an unforeseen side effect of their need for more power to hold back the wave.

Nanobots actually can survive in living things just fine, but they purposely avoid them. This is because their presence forces the body's immune system to go haywire trying to remove them, which kills whatever they were inside of. Since their overall goal is to save the universe, not to kill everything, they therefore avoid going inside of living beings. (Maybe phrase it as "the nanobots were made to be in tune with the force, and since every living thing generates a bit of the force themselves they can sense that and avoid it").
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:58:46 am »

Technology cannot use the force. Even 50%+ cyborgs can't use it. Such as Grevious. Who was a force adapt/"wizard" of a medieval society before his race was destroyed in an aggressive colonization effort and he himself was abducted, mindraped, and turned into a 90% mechanical monstrosity to be used as a leader of a droid army. He lost his force capabilities, although he still had a few internal organs and his eyes. Only reason he could keep up with jedi in combat was sheer processing power, effectively slowing down his perceived time so he had more time to react.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 04:05:10 am »

The cool thing about being a DM is that you get to play fast and loose with some of the normally accepted rules if you want to and can justify it with a good story. How's this for a followup to the star wars universe story.

Note: Rework of my last idea, nanobots actually do live inside of everything (without harming them) it's just that the electricity in your body, being mostly chemical electrical energy instead of actual "true" electrical energy, isn't feasible for them to harness except in extremely tiny (non-harmful) amounts.
Spoiler: Disaster story (click to show/hide)
To be honest I would totally home-brew up a "post star wars pseudo-medieval" scenario like this if I:
1) Had access to enough relative source materials
2) Had the free time
3) Had a reliable group to play with.
:P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:56:07 am by i2amroy »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 04:10:35 am »

Issue with 1 is how the shit did it spread across the galaxy if they just made a breakthrough? To every ship and every planet? And why did nobody detect these sooner? How did they detect the dark force wave if nobody can see beyond the edge of the galaxy with any instrument?

How would the nanobot even hold one. You do realize what scale we're talking about here right? Machinery doesn't work the same on that level of miniaturization. Each nanobot would have to be absurdly specialized to one task. Nanobots are complicated lil buggers. Also midichlorians are either a particle or an organism or something else entirely, it's ambiguous as hell.
Pages: [1] 2 3