Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poisoned weapons?  (Read 2881 times)

Axebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poisoned weapons?
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:21:58 pm »

I've dug in the forums and the closest I've come to getting poison weapons is the Monster Hunter Universe Mod. From what I could gather from the RAWs, the material to make the poisons is gathered from the Wyverns that are added in, or possibly random mushrooms. It appears in MHU, the poison is an item or a metal that is applied to a weapon.  I'm veeeery new to modding DF... What I'd like to do is to be able to gather poison from the already poisonous vanilla DF critters (scorpions etc) and maybe add in plants that grow in certain biomes that can be used as reagents to make poisons (paralysis poison from swamp herbs, other stuff in other far off areas). Has this been done? Is it doable?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisoned weapons?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:07:21 pm »

How would I put this in easy terms? The problem with poisoned weapons is that the base game doesn't really give you a way to put the spider juice on the +short sword+. Everything else is at least theoretically there, from capturing snakes & spiders and milking them for venom and kicking off the syndromes properly once the treated blade bites into skin.

We use DFHack's spatter-add plugin for this. With it, you can make special reactions that wink-wink-nudge-nudge DFHack into producing the input weapon or ammo pile that's "splattered" with the wanted extract. Once that's done, the stuff enters the victim's blood properly and doesn't wash away in the rain.

The package comes with example raws. Then you can dream up whatever the fuck poisons you want, extracted from plants or otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:09:13 pm by scamtank »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:59:11 am »

One addition:
Milking snakes for pioson doesnt work, if you dont add MILKABLE to them. Same for spiders or scoprions etc.

Then you need to make sure that the reaction uses the right extract, because all poisons are creature-extracts, so slap a REACTION_CLASS on it in material_template.txt and the reaction, and you are done. Same works for the idea with plants of course.

If you dont want to alter vanilla plant files, you can just use the plant as reagent and make the poison a new, custom plant that you put into a new file. That's MUCH easier to keep updated once a new DF version comes out AND it works across different tilesets.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 05:00:21 pm »

Is it possible to disable imported poisons from your home civ?

Lightningy

• Bay Watcher
  • MOM GET THE CAMERA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 06:38:29 am »

How would I put this in easy terms? The problem with poisoned weapons is that the base game doesn't really give you a way to put the spider juice on the +short sword+. Everything else is at least theoretically there, from capturing snakes & spiders and milking them for venom and kicking off the syndromes properly once the treated blade bites into skin.

We use DFHack's spatter-add plugin for this. With it, you can make special reactions that wink-wink-nudge-nudge DFHack into producing the input weapon or ammo pile that's "splattered" with the wanted extract. Once that's done, the stuff enters the victim's blood properly and doesn't wash away in the rain.

The package comes with example raws. Then you can dream up whatever the fuck poisons you want, extracted from plants or otherwise.

Ive looked every where for the thread and i only found the text to copy-paste. Are all the dfhack related stuff hidden in the nether world?
'What is life?', you ask. Fundamentally life is the apotheosis of pointlessness. We live to multiple. But what for? The Endless cycle of carnage pulls hardest on the furthest victim. An inescapable fate; one no one wants but we all desire. The more immoral we become the more ideal we are. A perverse oxymoron. We who live unencumbered but are the most burdened. We fight but at the end it is all for naught, as in life there are no winners; only the undistinguished.

GENERATION 29:
Copy and add 1.

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:28:45 am »

Or add itemsyndrome to the weapon you want to be poisonous, which is more close to MH universe because you don't need to coat the weapon since it's poisonous right after been made.