Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boiling Intrudes Alive - How to do?  (Read 1654 times)

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boiling Intrudes Alive - How to do?
« on: April 08, 2015, 07:12:19 pm »

Hi all,

I've been playing the 2014 update of DF lately, and have found a map with both a magma pipe and a brook.

As such, rather than simply incinerating intruders guests, I was hoping to give them a bath.

A nice hot bath.

Whilst Steam is currently useless as a killing method, I was wondering if it was possible to heat the water itself with underfloor magma? I've looked on the forum but I haven't been able to find anything about it.

If anyone has any ideas I'll be more than happy to give it a try.

Thanks!

DK

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Boiling Intrudes Alive - How to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:12:16 pm »

You might be able to do it but you'd need to do it with some sort of modded high-temp material, magma next to the water doesn't make it hot enough and magma touching the water makes steam. In vanilla DF the answer is a no.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:47:17 pm »

1 - buy cauldrons from the humans
2 - pile logs around the cauldrons
3 - ignite the logs using magma
4 - drop caged prisoners on top of the cauldrons, pretending they are boiling...
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 01:06:37 am »

‼Lignite bins‼?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:16:36 am »

I don't think temperature works like that in Dwarf Fortress (yet) but instead of boiling your guests you could try giving them a nice magma mist steam bath. Simply make the intruders go past a pool of magma and drop heavy things in it while they are passing; the resulting magma mist should burn the bodies and leave all metal equipment intact.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:44:09 am »

You could modify fat or other tissues in material_template_default by giving it [MELTING_POINT:10075]
10075 being the temperature of a square next to magma.

The main problem is that this would mostly be a treat for your own imagination. Technically speaking it would be no different from simply killing the intruders by magma, since the mechanism would be the same. (with the exception that corpses and clothes would survive the process) I am not sure if having water there would make any difference at all, compared to empty warmed squares.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:49:23 am »

I would consider the main problem to be that that would also ignite your own dwarves :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 03:56:05 am »

Only if they walk on warm tiles.
And besides, it would NOT ignite them. Just melt them.
Maybe mod in a new tissue and only give it to goblins? But I am not sure if it would work and I am too lazy to try.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:00:21 am by ancistrus »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:14:07 am »

Nope.

Used to be possible due to some old temperature conductivity bugs, but isn't any more.  Wanted to do something like that myself, but it turns out that the bug was patched out a long time ago.

Tiles adjacent to magma don't get hot enough to boil water or injure anyone. You could have them walking on a metal grate above 7/7 magma, with magma behind walls on either side and just above a thin ceiling over their heads -- and it would not be hot enough to cause damage.  Temperature drops off very sharply as it conducts between tiles.

You can, however, make a wide variety of magma mist traps by:

- dropping caveins into magma

- dropping heavy objects into magma (mining cart on an impulse ramp loop)

- skipping high velocity things across the surface of magma

With your brook, you could setup some sort of obsidian farm and surely do something creative.  Or just drown things.  But you can't boil them or injure them with steam.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 08:23:47 am »

Make the invaders wet in one room, then make magma mist generator in the next. 
Invaders come in wet, and instead of instant burning, the wet dries up from the magma mist--will that cause some melting before catching fire?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 08:43:21 am »

I think you can still reliably melt fat with a brief exposure to magma mist. 

I have never tried this one myself, as I don't like the intentional cruelty of it. mass murder? maybe necessary.  torture and cruelty?  probably not.

You cant use a bath, as even a very fast magma dunk (through the ceiling and out the floor in an instant) will leave a coating behind which will eventually prove deadly.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 10:19:34 am »

Is scorching rain of doom still a thing? I think it might have been fixed, but you never know.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 12:46:12 pm »

yeah, that was the same bug that let you melt people when you had water running 1-z above a magma flow.  its fixed.

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 07:40:19 am »

:( Ah, that's a real shame, was hoping to have some nicely boiled goblins greens to go with my plump helmets. May dabble with magma mist to get the effect though.