Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Sims 3  (Read 9644 times)

blazing glory

The Sims 3
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:45:00 am »

So, rather than continuing to necro threads or ask in the wrong ones, I've decided just make a thread for asking whatever pointless questions I end up getting that Google cannot solve.

Anyway, question of the day:The Sims 3 Into the future, is there a way to avoid receiving the Almanac of Time while still gaining access to the future or at least, the Time Traveler?

EDIT:Well I wouldn't say they are pointless really, I generally have a valid reason for any questions I end up getting.

EXTRA EDIT:Name changed to one more normal for a game thread.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:39:33 pm by blazing glory »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Sims 3 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:15:31 am »

Ah I miss this game. It was fun, but not worth having to put Origin on my computer for *shudders*
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

blazing glory

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:38:00 am »

Ah I miss this game. It was fun, but not worth having to put Origin on my computer for *shudders*
Seriously, Origin isn't that bad, inconvenient and unnecessary maybe but not it's not the piece of horror everyone makes it out to be.

I suppose if you REALLY don't want Origin you can always wait for a huge Steam sale and buy all the Sims 3 stuff there.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 05:45:39 am »

Seriously, Origin isn't that bad, inconvenient and unnecessary maybe but not it's not the piece of horror everyone makes it out to be.

I suppose if you REALLY don't want Origin you can always wait for a huge Steam sale and buy all the Sims 3 stuff there.
Or, ehm, buy some rum and an eyepatch.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 07:19:03 am »

Or, ehm, buy some rum and an eyepatch.
YOHOYOHOIdon'tevenknowhowtotorrent.

Indeed, I do this.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:25:19 am »

Sims 3 is also on steam, if you consider that better.

Sadly I don't have that expansion though.  I only have generations.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 07:54:03 am »

Yeah, I never got any of the expansions, had this on my last computer until I tried some mods and that broke the moods thing so everyone was unhappy all the time, forever. :(

My favorite game was when I made the crotchetiest old man who ever lived and just went around the neighborhood stealing food, taking sponge baths in peoples sinks, insulting them in their own homes, then passing out on public benches and generally being a total asshole. God that was fun. So much better then trying to actually DO any of the jobs or crap.

Indeed, I do this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 08:17:12 am »

Yeah, I never got any of the expansions, had this on my last computer until I tried some mods and that broke the moods thing so everyone was unhappy all the time, forever. :(

My favorite game was when I made the crotchetiest old man who ever lived and just went around the neighborhood stealing food, taking sponge baths in peoples sinks, insulting them in their own homes, then passing out on public benches and generally being a total asshole. God that was fun. So much better then trying to actually DO any of the jobs or crap.
Reminds me when I made a similar thing based on a literary character - an elderly moonshine-maker and enthusiast and all but a hobo.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

blazing glory

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 08:36:14 am »

Well if you ever do take up Sims 3 again, try to get some expansions at some point, they add a lot of cool stuff.

Though I wouldn't really recommend Into the future, it's somewhat buggy (Which is why I don't want the Almanac, sometimes it glitches out and gives you a notification whenever you do anything, like going to the loo.) and most of the additions in it just make things easier.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 11:14:58 am »

Don't most of the expansion packs cost as much as the base game, though?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 11:49:02 am »

Yeah, looks like all the ones on Steam cost $19.99.  Same as the base game.

I *really* don't see the need.  The base game is super strong by itself, and has so much to do.  More than I'll ever exhaust.  But, you can get one of the three biggest expansions along with the base game for $29.99.  I chose University Life, and I think it was the right decision.  Even without going to the university, it adds a jock/nerd/rebel "reputation" system which allows new interactions.  As a ranking nerd you can "berate incompetence", or "enthuse about video games", and more credit unlocks more interactions (and video games for the sim, and other small stuff).  The main benefit to me was being able to get some idea of an NPC's personality at a glance, since you can see their cred levels.

Plus, I guess there's a university!  I haven't gone yet, but I did buy an honorary degree with lifetime achievement points.  Degrees grant additional perks of your choice.  Dunno if it's limited to 1 or not.

So yes, clearly all the DLCs are useless except for the one I purchased.  Or something.  $30 seems like a decent price-point to me, so I recommend getting one of those 1-DLC packages.

(I played the base game a lot about a year ago using a friend's CD, and still had fun replaying it now)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:50:48 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 04:22:21 pm »

Yeah, BFEL said screw it and got it from Steam, got the +University Life pack like Rolan, and put Generations and Ambitions on top of that (those are the only expansions that seem to add to the base experience instead of adding vampires or MOAR CLOTHES or whatever stupid fuckery.)

Indeed, I do this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 04:38:00 pm »

Yeah, BFEL said screw it and got it from Steam, got the +University Life pack like Rolan, and put Generations and Ambitions on top of that (those are the only expansions that seem to add to the base experience instead of adding vampires or MOAR CLOTHES or whatever stupid fuckery.)
You forgot Seasons.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 06:22:40 pm »

No Katty Perry Stuff Pack?  For shame.

That seems like a good choice of expansions.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

blazing glory

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 06:51:42 pm »

Don't most of the expansion packs cost as much as the base game, though?
Which is why I said "at some point" rather than "right after you buy the game."

But yeah, Steam sale or inherit mass fortune from relative is probably best choice to get Expansions.

Yeah, those are most of the major ones, minus Seasons.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6