Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 47341 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #390 on: December 05, 2015, 10:46:46 pm »

nono, World is a general term, sometimes used for planet, sometimes used for universe (somos in greek for these things) and sometimes used for "the political and social systems of mankind that are dominant in society and history."

In most sci-fi that I read, there are multiple planets, maybe even many "worlds." But to discuss the metanarrative of the whole series, game system, or what have you, "world history" is a fairly typical useage. Especially because the word "history" brings the term into the human (or sapient being) sphere, and leans the term "world" more toward the sociopolitical definition.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 05, 2015, 11:03:57 pm »

...Okay then.  At least in my case, it was confusing, and I clicked on the link specifically to find out which world history it was talking about.  In fact, I've actually tried to find that information on the wiki before, and failed because I couldn't find a relevant page.

I still think that something non-ambiguous would be a better title, like "setting history".

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #392 on: December 05, 2015, 11:09:21 pm »

A bit irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure the Sibilus can hurt Battlesuits. I remember Milno shooting a Battlesuit's arm off during the defence of Hephaestus.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:36 am »

The sibilus has been proven effective in the field, whereas all the weapons you mentioned are new creations which haven't seem much action. That is a valid reason to choose the sibilus, even if it's less effective by raw numbers. ER weapon effectiveness doesn't follow the numbers very closely.

I do agree with you that the sibilus is less powerful and should be moved out of the main armoury. That doesn't mean no one should ever use it.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 06, 2015, 07:33:33 am »

Results old poll:
Where do you prefer pictures of equipment one can buy to be?

Next to their armory entry on the armory index page itself.
On their own page, not in the general armory index.

On both the general armory index and their own page.

The poll was created at 14:59 on August 14, 2015, and so far 27 people voted.

So, by a narrow margin, it seems vox populi wants pictures to be on an item's own page, not the general index. I'm surprised we have so many voters (might there be multiple votes from the same people? It's certainly easy enough to do that, by accident even), but more engagement can only be a good thing, right? So, if anyone wanted to remove the pics in the armory page and stick 'em on the respective item pages, feel free.

And a new poll!
How do you think mission 22 (the one with the Arbiter) should be described on page?

Minor failure.
Minor success.
Minor failure/minor success (neutral).
I don't know, we should ask PW/Steve what he thinks, and use that.

The poll was created at 12:33 on December 6, 2015, and so far 0 people voted.

Added new jobs: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Fund

Tell me what you guys think, if the pay scheme is good, and if you have more ideas.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:08:33 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 06, 2015, 08:21:54 am »

My main gripe is that it is still all limited to newbies of 1-2 missions. I mean, I understand why it is done, but this still does turn away quite a few people from contributing (e.g. I might have wanted to write a medical manual, esp. since it's meant to be written from IC view; I might have wanted to write a 'journal' IC version of Mission 21 summary; etc.).
Edit: Oh dear, this is no longer true! Huzzah!

Also, as the tradition goes, RC's wiki polls are too restrictive in options to the point where I cannot pick the preferred option. I mean, what if I think it was a major success (a whole Arbiter was slain!)? What if I were Devastator-like in views and considered the mission a failure (a whole colony was destroyed!)?  :)
It's forlorn hope to ask, but - could you please add the "major X" options on the poll? In order not to alienate those with stronger opinions on the matter.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 06, 2015, 08:32:56 am »

I had added those at first, but removed them when the preview showed that it'd take a lot of front page space. Guess I'll add them anyway (even though that's prime real estate being taken up there). Sorry to the 1 person who had voted already.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 06, 2015, 08:34:36 am »

Only Devestator thought that was a failure, if I remember correctly. And seeing the page's history, he was the one that marked it as a success while I was editing the page. So I don't see much point in voting for it. But if you think it's worth it, sure, do a poll. Or just ask piecewise, since it's his opinion that matters in the end. Or just remove it altogether. It's not like every mission has to be marked as success or failure.

I changed that because that was the consensus, not because it's what I think.  Also, as a case of point, it was a friendly colony that was destroyed, you didn't finish exploring its ruins, and nobody saw the avatar die.

Same for the Haebi orbital mission, but that one I let stand because it freed a galaxy-wide threat, and that seems to be one possible criteria for failure.  If it's simply consensus, that one's a success too.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 06, 2015, 08:37:37 am »

Well, you can vote now, and we can do another vote for the Heabi space mission i the future if needed. (Though the Heabi ground missions were a complete success I'd say, so there's that.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 06, 2015, 09:00:05 am »

Well, you can vote now, and we can do another vote for the Heabi space mission i the future if needed. (Though the Heabi ground missions were a complete success I'd say, so there's that.)

Yeah, the ground mission was fine.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 06, 2015, 09:24:33 am »

guide to tinkering needs to be done by an insider.
Same with all the guides really. they are not newb jobs for sure. And as for the comprehensiveness, you should at least pay 2 tokens for those, in particluar the anomaly exploration and artifact testing and tinkering guides.
Except, most tinkering is done by a fixed, known set of people. Perhaps an apprenticeship program would work better in that situation.
A brief guide on medicine could possibly be done for one token's worth of work. It seems straightforward enough, now that kickboxing hasd become a less frequent method of healing.
Same with the ooc guide to making good posts for PW. that seems straightforward enough for one token. "All actions in one post. be clear and concise. Check for spelling errors and please consider not posting on phones which don't have punctuation marks. Conditional actions are okay, but try not to have R_C's trademark Walls of Text ..."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 06, 2015, 09:28:27 am »

Check again, jobs are open for all now, not just newbs.

Also, my walls are by far not the worst ones!  :P
I actually do try to shorten them or limit myself when I can, but sometimes there's just no way to effectively communicate a message without some explanation. Maybe it's because I often have to organize things that my wallness factor is rather high? Then again, I fully expect pw to punish me whenever he gets sick of it, and I can roll with the punches most of the time, so it's all good.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 06, 2015, 02:22:27 pm »

So I'm eyeing the newb guide, seeing as I am a newb that has mostly managed to absorb the important advice but still remembers what the newb guide didn't help with.

I think I could do a good job of drastically cutting down on all the prose, but since that's a rather radical proposition I figured I'd provide some advance warning.

Need some input:
- Giving tips on stat/skill distribution, yay or nay (I lean very strongly to a yay on this one but I could be convinced otherwise)
- Roleplaying a character with a Cha penalty like they're an eloquent, convincing leader, yay or nay? Ie, do we approve? Jim, frex, was a very charismatic and lovable dude who ran around with a Cha penalty, and Miya oughta have had a level or two in Cha from the get-go given how he actually managed to herd cats somewhat; so it's always seemed to me like it's a window-dressing stat and nothing more.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:39:19 pm by Moopli »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2015, 02:28:43 pm »

Check again, jobs are open for all now, not just newbs.

Also, my walls are by far not the worst ones!  :P
I actually do try to shorten them or limit myself when I can, but sometimes there's just no way to effectively communicate a message without some explanation. Maybe it's because I often have to organize things that my wallness factor is rather high? Then again, I fully expect pw to punish me whenever he gets sick of it, and I can roll with the punches most of the time, so it's all good.
I knew that the jobs were open to all. I think the jobs that would best be handled by senior players should be marked as such. or perhaps should have poll threads to determine what advice would be best put in a brief tutorial. That kind of thing.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34