Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 47431 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2015, 02:37:15 pm »

Don't just roll back the edit, there was other stuff in there as well. I'll ask pw, so we'll know for sure.
Now you are just insulting me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2015, 02:51:38 pm »

Don't just roll back the edit, there was other stuff in there as well. I'll ask pw, so we'll know for sure.
Now you are just insulting me.

Damn right I am  :P

Also, i added stuff from dead peeps to team fund, used best judgement as to whether it would be possible for equipment to be taken along or not (tokens are 'virtual' mostly, so those are always saved I think). If anyone has doubts, do say so.

EDIT: amp use and stil use is supposed to stay noted forever, said pw in pm.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:29:27 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2015, 03:36:42 pm »

Payment time. Who did I put in charge of keeping track of everyone's work again?

Me. Here's the data.

Between April 8th and June 30th, 1537 edits were made to the wiki:

Parisbre56 made more than 462 edits to the wiki, including a whole lot of fucking around with templates. :P Most of his edits were to character pages (54%). Per Paris' wish, I'll note that, ignoring the work on templates, the number of edits he made is closer to 200.
AoshimaMichio made 320 edits to the wiki. Most of his edits were on character pages (42%).
NAV made 214 edits to the wiki. Most of his edits were on character pages (48%).
Swordsmith04 made 202 edits to the wiki (which seems like a lot more than it feels like, but numbers do not lie!). Most of my edits were on inventories (53%).
Kriellya made 177 edits to the wiki. Most of Kri's edits were to character pages (70%).

Comrade P made 39 edits to the wiki. Caellath made 29 edits to the wiki. Radio Controlled made 23 edits to the wiki. Syvarris made 11 edits to the wiki, mostly for Heph. Nunzillor made 10 edits to the wiki.

The following users made less than 10 edits to the wiki:
Illgeo, DoctorMcTaalik, Nikitian, Dutrius, Harry Baldman, Gentlefish/Pufferfish, Toaster, Lenglon, NJW2000, Renegadelobster, Cinder/Objective, SeanMirrsen, spazyak, and Egan_BW.

Italicized names indicate users who contributed without an account but signed their names to their edits.
EDIT: Egan's name should've been italicized as well, fixed.
There's no standard or method to these payments, I'm just making it up by feel, before anyone tries to guess how edits relate to tokens etc.

Paris: 8
Aoshi: 7
Nav:6
Sword:6
Kri:5

Comrade,Cael, Radio, Sy and Nun: 1

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2015, 03:11:57 am »

Eeeey, a token! I'm glad! Like super-glad!
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »

Oh man. That's a lot of tokens. Thank you very much piecewise.

Some people (I think it was Kriellya) have complained in the past about how unwieldy and hard to understand template code sometimes is. For those of you more familiar with programming, there's an alternative: Lua. It can be used to create templates and it can understand wikitext as well as the "sanitized" html tags allowed in wikia. And as a programming language, it's much easier to write in, as it has things like loops, iterating through tables, functions to handle strings, etc. as well as functions provided by wikia:
http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/Lua_reference_manual/Scribunto_libraries
http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/Lua_reference_manual/Standard_libraries

You can even invoke templates through it, so you can have lua, invoke a template, invoking lua, etc.

You can write lua code in our wiki, all you have to do is create a page in the namespace "Module:". For example, the one I used to test things: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Module:LuaTest

There are more interesting things with Lua in wikia, like the ability to have one lua page load lua code from other pages: http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/Lua_templating/Converting_Wikitext_templates#Switch_statements

You can see an example in the sandbox.

Just putting this out there, so that people know it's a possibility. If there is ever a need to radically change a template for some reason or write a new one, I'll probably do the core work in Lua and create a wrapper template written in wikitext for it so that it is easier to understand. I really don't feel there is need to rewrite the current templates (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2015, 12:48:18 pm »

Ooh, Lua!

I haven't messed with Lua for few years. Never really got into it much, but language itself isn't hard. Gotta check that some day.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2015, 05:09:55 pm »

Wait, we can lua? WOOOO!

I can totally do lua. Prepare for madness! :P
(I probably won't do anything until the next missions are off, but it would be pretty useful for centralizing and automating a few things)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2015, 06:20:10 pm »

Wait, we can lua? WOOOO!

I can totally do lua. Prepare for madness! :P
(I probably won't do anything until the next missions are off, but it would be pretty useful for centralizing and automating a few things)
Great. More automation is always good. Just don't fall victim to this.

I haven't finished reading the sources yet, but it looks like the (frame) object can do some fun stuff, like give you some control over the wikitext parser, give you the name of the page the script is used on, the arguments of the template used to call it, give you other pages... It's quite fun. I might use it in the armory page to fix a problem with the current template being unable to handle two Enhanced Capacity.

Only problem is that the documentation is a bit unclear if global variables are retained between #invokes of a script so you can do something like an autonumbering list by using multiple #invokes instead of one giant #invoke. I'll experiment with that later.

Here's some more sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Lua
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto/Lua_reference_manual

For less experimental and more immediate stuff, could you please provide a legend for what the symbols in Character Index mean? I mean get that the [num] means current mission and the [num] means permadied on that mission and that (num) means temp-died on that mission but I had to figure that out myself instead of having it available at the top. And I have no idea if the 18 in Sambo Jin means anything different or if it is a mistake that should be corrected.

And another question. Any idea what the +1 next to the number of missions means in some of the PC pages?

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2015, 06:35:19 pm »

And another question. Any idea what the +1 next to the number of missions means in some of the PC pages?
That's for failed missions, I believe. From before 10 missions stopped being significant.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2015, 08:47:09 pm »

I knew I forgot something when I was fiddling with the Index. I had thought about adding one too, I'll go double check and add it. I think I've just been using [20] for dead because it looks better than 20, so the one with no brackets is the error, and has no special additional meaning.

That's for failed missions, I believe. From before 10 missions stopped being significant.
Ah, that's what that means. I had been wondering while I was checking some mission counts. Think we should merge those together?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2015, 01:37:08 am »

Since failed missions don't really matter anymore, I would say do ourselves a favour and lump them together. That's one thing less to keep track of.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2015, 02:38:35 pm »

AMIABLE AMBER can get its own page at this point now we know more about its effects. Also do we have new Nyartifact template?
Old sigs.
Games.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2015, 03:12:07 pm »

We don't yet. I was having trouble thinking of a good way to display the tags in the template myself.

If you have a good idea on what you'd like from the template, Paris or I can code it up.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 04, 2015, 03:14:49 pm »

Regarding the AMIABLE AMBER, I mentioned on the OOC thread but should probably mention here because this is the thread for Wiki stuff, I've edited it's section to include the results of Anita's injection.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #164 on: July 04, 2015, 04:52:34 pm »

We don't yet. I was having trouble thinking of a good way to display the tags in the template myself.

If you have a good idea on what you'd like from the template, Paris or I can code it up.
I think he means something like the "new character" page, but for artefacts. I think there is nothing like that.

That said, yes, anything you want from templates, we can probably do it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:54:43 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34