Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 47387 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2015, 08:40:34 am »

Stick it in the newbie guide?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2015, 08:44:58 am »

I really think this is a right thing to do. I don't quite understand why it was placed on Stats and Skills page in the first place.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2015, 10:16:26 am »

I really think this is a right thing to do. I don't quite understand why it was placed on Stats and Skills page in the first place.

It can be both places, you know :P

I hadn't noticed it wasn't in the newbie guide, that's not usually my editing sphere. I put it on the Stats/Skills pages when we made the tool

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2015, 10:33:38 am »

Well it's on newbie guide now.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2015, 08:35:08 pm »

Radio, if you're reading this, can you check if you can enable the Labeled Section Transclusion plugin? It is needed to be able to copy parts of pages to other pages. I can implement a template that does the same job, but a) it won't be as good and b) no need to reinvent the wheel.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2015, 11:14:04 pm »

Radio, if you're reading this, can you check if you can enable the Labeled Section Transclusion plugin? It is needed to be able to copy parts of pages to other pages. I can implement a template that does the same job, but a) it won't be as good and b) no need to reinvent the wheel.

Is that a thing you can do in wikia? I don't think it is, at least, I can't find where I'd have to enable it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2015, 03:12:19 am »

Is that a thing you can do in wikia? I don't think it is, at least, I can't find where I'd have to enable it.

According to this: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Extensions
You have to contact wikia's staff and tell them to enable it: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contact
They might ask you why you want it, but I don't see why they would have a problem with enabling it. Doesn't hurt to try, at least.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2015, 05:07:48 am »

According to this: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Extensions
You have to contact wikia's staff and tell them to enable it: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contact
They might ask you why you want it, but I don't see why they would have a problem with enabling it. Doesn't hurt to try, at least.

Message send. I thought I was just not finding the extension due to search failure, but you were right, we'll have to ask them to enable it themselves. We'll see what we get.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2015, 04:34:33 am »

They told me it should be enabled. Paris, could you check if it works like you need it to?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2015, 06:07:28 am »

With a quick test in the sandbox, it appears to be working: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Einsteinian_Roulette_Wiki:Sandbox/Nikitian%27s_test
I'll make a better check and change the templates to automatically mark stats and skills as sections when I get home.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2015, 08:23:01 am »

I, unfortunately, cannot change the stats and skills template to automatically add section tags on other pages, so I will have to edit every page manually.
I am going to wait until Mission 20 is over (EDIT: So that I don't break things when they are needed), at which point I will edit the necessary templates and start editing all pages. I might start editing pages of people not on Mission 20 right now if I have some spare time.

If you want to see an example of how the modified templates and character pages will work, check the code at:
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_20_Snapdragon/CS#Flint_Westwood_.28Parisbre56.29 -> http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_20_Snapdragon/CS?action=edit&section=3
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Flint_Westwood#Inventory -> http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Flint_Westwood?action=edit&section=5
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Flint_Westwood#Attributes -> http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Flint_Westwood?action=edit&section=13

So if you look at the code of the first link, this is what the CS template will look like after I edit it.
The next two links show how character pages will need to be like for this to work.

As always, suggestions/questions are welcome.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:26:48 am by Parisbre56 »

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2015, 06:00:40 pm »

Alright, let me work that into the New Character template now. Should be able to set it up so that new characters will now be Copy-Paste out of the template page, old characters we'll have to manually edit in the tags in and move their stats/inventory back to their page.

Then a whole bunch of flagging shit for deletion! Ready for some cleanup, RC? :P

Hmm, I wonder if this will solve the default template using the source editor...

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2015, 06:37:30 pm »

I'm going to fiddle with our new construct a little, see if I can make the code a little less in the way on the character page. It kind of makes a brick of templates in the visual editor.

Think we could roll some of the tags (<section begin=stats /> in particular) into the NStats and NSkills template?
Hmm, okay, I see that you said you couldn't do this. Any idea why?

Status also doesn't appear to be showing up? I've been having trouble figuring out what's going wrong with it. Ah, found it. There was a typo in the section designator. Back to fiddling!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:04:25 pm by Kriellya »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2015, 08:19:20 pm »

Any idea why?
I dunno, maybe to avoid some sort of infinite loop? Maybe templates do not transclude section tags? I have no idea. But this says they can't be used that way:
Section tags cannot themselves be transcluded in order to work on other pages. This means, for instance, that these tags cannot be embedded in a template using template parameters and parser functions. The #tag magic word does not work with section tags. #tag produces balanced tags, while the section tags uses singular tags. See task T39256.

Then, there's this:
{{#lsth:pagename|sectionX}}
Which says that it's possible to transclude sections but they need to have headers (the ==Name== things) instead of <section begin=name />. So we could simple force everyone to have a single header for some of the things we want to copy (something like "all stats and skills sections must be in an ===Attributes=== header"). I haven't tried it, so don't take my word for it, but it might be possible to use it to transclude things inside templates.

Then there's this from the same page that says:
Quote from: Section ranges
These functions have an additional, optional argument to specify a section range; i.e. {{#lst:articleX|chapter1|chapter3}}, to include everything from the beginning of chapter 1 to the end of chapter 3. This allows using empty marker pairs to mark one end of the section, possibly in a template. A similar mechanism is currently used at the French Wikisource.
Which says that it is possible to transclude a section if it is inside a template if you use it as part of a range. So you do something like put an empty section at the start of a page and then a second section inside the template and use it as the end of the range (or maybe you need to have another empty section at the end of the page, I dunno, again, I haven't tried it).

There was a typo in the section designator.
I had it marked as start instead of begin, hadn't I? Keep confusing the two.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:51:18 pm by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2015, 10:24:18 pm »

Your question of why was really bugging me
Not really relevant to the ER wiki, but more relevant to wikia in general, posting this here mostly as a note to self so that I can find the info easily in the future.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34