Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 47336 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 07:40:30 am »

So would my character be 'Pussy'?
Xan would be 'no no nononono no way no how don't even think about taking him,'.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 07:57:50 am »

I dunno, maybe. If you think that's the best way to usefully describe your character in a few words.

And if you are levelled high enough (+3 or +4) at your relevant skills, you could put them in your title, so you'd end up having things like "Master Wizard" or "Experienced Synthflesh Wizard Soldier"

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:36 am »

I think it'll end up like a MMORPG's way of describing loot, the 'great eviscerating broadsword of vampirism' except replace broadsword with 'wizard' or 'gunman'.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 10:54:11 am »

Well, theoretically, it's just to give people an idea of the most important things a not-so-well-known character can do. Not everything has to be written, nor should it. Just the more important stuff, their focus. High level/well known/altered/docmodded/etc characters or characters with multiple  proficiencies don't need this as much. A small, personalized title hinting at their focus should be enough.

HEY! LISTEN!
Remember when piecewise asked for a quick way to look at stats/skills/inventory? I was thinking, I could move those things into a separate subpage, something like "/Flint_Westwood/Inventory" (where I will put only the relevant part of my huge inventory so that it is easier to read quickly) and then anyone can copy them wherever they like by using "{{Flint_Westwood/Inventory}}". That way, all stats and skills and inventory for each character are in one page, but can be copied everywhere and I could make that quick reference for piecewise (probably as a sub-page for each mission, something like "/Mission 20/QR"). Would people object to this or should I go ahead and do it when I have some time?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 11:00:50 am »

Either I can't catch your drift, or it sounds redundant. What's wrong with looking up character page, where everything is listed in a proper (linkable) subsection?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 11:23:49 am »

That you don't have all the info in a single page, without redundant info, where you can find the character you're looking , with no need to navigate or wait for the page to load or have multiple tabs open, with a single click or Ctrl-F (especially if both player and character name are used). It's mostly to make piecewise's life easier and it won't change your life at all except for making you have to edit a separate page to change your inventory/stats/skills.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:25:32 am by Parisbre56 »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 11:25:30 am »

Well if it really helps Piecewise, then you should look into it, yes
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 11:39:37 am »

Actually, sounds like a good idea. At the very least, it would also be a step towards dedicating more love and detail to the character pages proper - now that without the important stats-skills-items they'd feel a bit empty. And then I agree that there are a lot of superficial details (useful for players, not so much for GM when calculating combat encounters, for example) on the character pages, and making an extract (cheatsheet!) of that would probably benefit Piecewise in the long run.

And if he ever needs to remember who the X is a particular reawakened from stasis dementia character (or how they look like, or anything like that), he could always check the character page proper instead of going for the cheatsheet.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »

Actually, you don't really have to remove the stats and skills from the player pages.
I edited my page quickly to show that:
The stats and skills are now there: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Flint_Westwood/SnS
And the original page only contains the following code in its place:
{{:Flint_Westwood/SnS}}
But that can be used to create a duplicate in any other page. For example, look at how the stats and skills are now at the bottom of the sandbox page as well: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Einsteinian_Roulette_Wiki:Sandbox
And if I were to edit my stats and skills, all the copies would be automatically updated withing a few seconds.

Note to self: I could make them stand side by side and remove the divider to make them easier to read...

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 12:09:08 pm »

So sub page needs to contain things that matter:
Stats
Skills
Inventory
Body modifications (basically robot arms/body, special dubstep arms)

What else?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 12:21:39 pm »

Analyzing piecewise's old cheatsheet may help with that. He usually added important or life-saving bonuses/notes about equipment close to stat bonuses (+1 dex, +1 dex for dodging from MkIII, for example) since I suppose those would be second thing he'd have to check in case the character was hit or had to dodge for their life.

Of course the system changed and bonuses are handled differently, but he'll still consider that kind of stuff in a way or another. Oh, and the cheatsheet should say whether they're human, robo-body, synth-flesh or robo-body with human head. That kind of stuff.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:52 pm »

Okay then, so that we can start formalizing it a bit:

There should be two sections in the cheatsheet for ease of readability: Attributes and Inventory (unless you think mods and custom bodies should be a different section)

There's subpage <CharName>/Attr that holds the stats and skills. I will modify the template to make them stand next to each other, so that they fit in a single page. They should not have any titles so that they take up less space.

There's a subpage <CharName>/Inv that holds anything important the character has (smokes and things like that can go to the character's page (unless you think it should really contain everything)). The first lines/items in it should be about any status effects, then robobodies/genemods/docmods/suits/armour/alienstuff, followed by weapons, followed by everything else, preferably in order of importance.

Unless you think having two pages is overkill, in which case we can merge them in one page, something like <CharName>/Inf, in which case there should be titles for each page.

The cheatsheet will be in <MissionXX>/CS

I will make a template for the cheatsheet, something like {{CS|<CharName>|<PlayerName>}} that will put a title with the character's and player's name, a link to the character's page for further info and the data from the character's /Attr and /Inv subpages as well as titles for them (or /Inf, in which case the titles for each section should be in /Inf).

Agreement/Disagreement?

EDIT: And a template (or 2, one for inv, one for attr) for the character pages themselves. Perhaps the character page templates should link to the sub pages so that they are easier to find.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:26:56 pm by Parisbre56 »

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:33 pm »

I'll agree with this.

I'd been wondering about how to setup something like that myself, but I wasn't sure how to 'automate' the linking. Cause wikicode.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 01:33:55 pm »

Well, I like it, but I would still suggest adding "Special" section to the /Attr subpage for the various special bonuses/rules/etc. some characters might have. Sure it kind of overlaps with "status" section of /Inv, but I think we'd rather have all the important, roll-related bits in the /Attr, since /Inv is more about specifics of results and deciding whether to roll rather than the rolling itself - and so it might be overlooked, and that's the last thing we want.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 01:38:18 pm »

Page <CharName>/Attr should hold also special skills, such as Maurice's doctor training. Also amp and bluesmoke usage, because I think those are more important that inventory items.

If we are gonna be all nazi with inventory page, then it should have sub sections in order of importance like
==Genemods/Addons==
==Armor==
==Weapons==
==Other crap==
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34